EVGA

Card Design... Just so many question.

Author
LightStrikerQc
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/10/13 19:24:37 (permalink)
My GPU (HD7970) died last weekend. I'm currently shopping for a new card.
I'm currently running on an even older 8800GT. Let's say nothing run on it... walk, or even crawl would be a better description.

I'm a game dev - programmer mostly - and I never really thought about video card much. Last time I bought one there wasn't anything special to their design, they were quite bland.

I'm shopping - thinking of going for a 1070 Ti most likely - and good grief! Some of those card design is ugly in a way only a mother would like it.
On the other hand, some cards appear to had a lot of care in their visual design... only to have it face down on a normal ATX format.

Question time!
1) Why nobody is producing "reversed" card where the visual would face up? Most ATX have enough slots to make that possible, especially if you don't go SLI.
2) How can some card design end up so ugly? I see 2 trends of ugly; "The Black Box" and "It needs more angles to make it more edgy"
3) Does some company make some pool or ask their consumer about different potential design, or does it end up being some internal marketing process?
4) How legally unlikely would it be to allow some card design contest?

[EDIT = Might not be the right place to ask that, since it's not specific to the 1xxx series.]
post edited by LightStrikerQc - 2018/10/13 19:35:24

14 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Card Design... Just so many question. 2018/10/13 19:31:07 (permalink)
    No need for Two Threads, but ok.
     Card Design... Just so many question.  

Ugly is Strong and Powerful and the Best Gaming you can Get.
    Pretty is nice to look at and well when you are looking Pretty you are not gaming so well.
    Put a side cover on your computer and don't look at your card while you are gaming and you will be fine with Ugly.

Contact EVGA

This is Plan, well you said it above.

Simple

Awesome 

You cannot bet the Price $450 Nor the Cooling

The Other Thread Card Design... Just so many questions.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/10/14 09:23:31

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

TheMadDutchDude
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 212
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Card Design... Just so many question. 2018/10/13 19:36:31 (permalink)
    I suspect the number one reason for the fans being on the bottom is due to airflow. You do not want to be competing with the CPU cooler for air, and in most instances, the cold air will naturally enter from the base of your chassis. It’s a practical design.

The term ‘ugly’ really is entirely personal. I happen to find most cards on the market very appealing. I am still waiting to fire up my EVGA card to properly play with it as it was only installed and checked for function. I’ve got to finish my desk before I go on vacation. The GPU can wait. :D
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Card Design... Just so many question. 2018/10/13 19:41:08 (permalink)
    LightStrikerQc
    My GPU (HD7970) died last weekend. I'm currently shopping for a new card.
    I'm currently running on an even older 8800GT. Let's say nothing run on it... walk, or even crawl would be a better description.

I'm a game dev - programmer mostly - and I never really thought about video card much. Last time I bought one there wasn't anything special to their design, they were quite bland.

I'm shopping - thinking of going for a 1070 Ti most likely - and good grief! Some of those card design is ugly in a way only a mother would like it.
    On the other hand, some cards appear to had a lot of care in their visual design... only to have it face down on a normal ATX format.

Question time!
    1) Why nobody is producing "reversed" card where the visual would face up? Most ATX have enough slots to make that possible, especially if you don't go SLI.
    2) How can some card design end up so ugly? I see 2 trends of ugly; "The Black Box" and "It needs more angles to make it more edgy"
    3) Does some company make some pool or ask their consumer about different potential design, or does it end up being some internal marketing process?

[EDIT = Might not be the right place to ask that, since it's not specific to the 1xxx series.]

Not even a mother....

There are reverse style ATX cases or PCIe risers.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Card Design... Just so many question. 2018/10/13 23:14:56 (permalink)

Moved to General Hardware.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    _Gir_
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 332
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Card Design... Just so many question. 2018/10/14 03:32:12 (permalink)
    LightStrikerQc

Question time!

Easy, just buy an inverted case.  
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/802946-inverted-atx-cases/

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Card Design... Just so many question. 2018/10/14 09:15:42 (permalink)
    XrayMan

Moved to General Hardware.

Why did you not merge the Threads.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Card Design... Just so many question. 2018/10/14 09:17:07 (permalink)
    LightStrikerQc
    It's funny how you pointed to all the designs I like. Wondered why I was on EVGA website? :P  
    bcavnaugh Put a side cover on your computer and don't look at your card while you are gaming and you will be fine with Ugly.
    Now, if you don't want to have a proper discussion, you can gladly go along. Not forcing you to read my thread or answering to it.

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/10/14 09:48:40

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Card Design... Just so many question. 2018/10/14 09:18:36 (permalink)

LightStrikerQc
    It's funny how you pointed to all the designs I like. Wondered why I was on EVGA website? :P  
    bcavnaugh Put a side cover on your computer and don't look at your card while you are gaming and you will be fine with Ugly.
    Now, if you don't want to have a proper discussion, you can gladly go along. Not forcing you to read my thread or answering to it.

Well it is hard to have a discussion about something Ugly.
     "and good grief! Some of those card design is ugly in a way only a mother would like it."
    I took it as all the cards on EVGA's website were Ugly, your First Thread was under EVGA GeForce 10 Series of the Forum.

1) Why nobody is producing "reversed" card where the visual would face up? Most ATX have enough slots to make that possible, especially if you don't go SLI. (Not Enough Buyers, I would not want a card like this)
    (Maybe Post an Image of what you would like to see and we can also see your reference)
    (Case Design, Some Cases come with Risers like some of the EVGA Cases) (Some Cases are upright and some are not)

(Mostly Cooling Needs)

(Contact EVGA Contact Customer Service or Email Customer Service and Complaints and Suggestions)

(Contact EVGA Contact Customer Service or Email Customer Service and Complaints and Suggestions)

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/10/14 09:58:58

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Card Design... Just so many question. 2018/10/14 09:18:53 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    LightStrikerQc

Well it is hard to have a discussion about something Ugly.
    "and good grief! Some of those card design is ugly in a way only a mother would like it."
    I took it as all the cards on EVGA's website were Ugly, your First Thread was under  of the Forum.
    (Not Enough Buyers, I would not want a card like this)
    (Maybe Post an Image of what you would like to see and we can also see your reference)
    (Case Design, Some Cases come with Risers like some of the EVGA Cases) (Some Cases are upright and some are not)
    (Mostly Cooling Needs)
    (Contact EVGA  or  and )
    (Contact EVGA  or  and )

I guess I can give example of ugly, since I was shopping mostly 1070 Ti;
    - PHY 1070 Ti Blower; it is literally a black box.
    - All Zotac 1070 Ti; Lost count of edges
    - MSI and Gigabytes 2 or 3 fans: Why?

With exception of EVGA, it gives me the feeling it ether a box with 6 faces, or a molded piece of plastic with way too many faces for its own good.
    Making is minimalistic (box) sadly doesn't drive the price down apparently. 

In the design I feel hit a good balance in the 1070 Ti:
    - All of EVGAs
    - MSI Duke
    - ASUS Cerberus
    - PHY 2 Fans (why 800$??)

I know if you're mining bitcoins with 20 GPUs, you're not gonna care about how they look.
    But if like me you buy one every 7-8 years, look will actually matter, because between a 1070 Ti and another 1070 Ti, there isn't much difference spec wise.
    There's couple of nice thing, like temp sensor, RGB, overclock, utilities, and phases... But I'll trade some of those if the card is so ugly anytime I look at it I ask myself "Why?"

1) I know your rig is water cooled, so obviously it's not your thing as upside down or not wouldn't make a difference for you. I also know that most raiser case pretty much choke the video card airflow by placing it against the glass. It's not always the case, but often is. I'll give it a try to draw something in 3D.

2) Just look at the EVGA 1070 Ti blower vs PHY blower. Cooling needs has nothing to do with making a good design.

3 & 4) I guess you don't know and think it's not the place to ask.
    post edited by LightStrikerQc - 12 hours ago
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/10/14 09:56:19

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Card Design... Just so many question. 2018/10/14 09:19:01 (permalink)
    You are asking "Why" Not an easy answer can be give as each company lays out their own card design.
    Being that I only buy EVGA Graphics Cards and we are on EVGA's Website (Forum);
    I have no need to even look at cards from PHY, Zotac, MSI, and Gigabytes or any other company that makes Graphics Cards.
    I know hard to take in but I am not in it for Looks I am in for Performance and Support that is offered by EVGA.
    Name Two other Companies that Sale their Products Direct like EVGA, that is also why I buy only EVGA.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Card Design... Just so many question. 2018/10/14 09:39:17 (permalink)
    GPU design "Function" over "Form" --> looks are subjective

Not everyone has a window on their PC case --- looks can be Marketing driven

What I look at before putting my money down:

1) -> Warranty at least 3 years ?

2) --> Can you buy an Extended Warranty to 5 or 10 years ?

3) ---> Can You Remove the stock TIM or Cooler without Voiding your Warranty ?

4) ----> Does the stock Warranty transfer to second owner ?

5) -----> Reputation for Help & Support / RMA

6) ------> 24/7 Support ? (except major holidays)

7) -------> Performance ---> is it stable ?

8) --------> Are water blocks available or Hybrid coolers ?

Only EVGA has the correct answer to these questions ------> "YES" to all the above

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Card Design... Just so many question. 2018/10/14 10:26:51 (permalink)
    It really comes down to function over being pretty I feel. Cards really don't need to look pretty to be functional. Also since the Dark Knight came out edgy has been part of the computer industry it seems as everyone wants it to look like something Batman would use.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Card Design... Just so many question. 2018/10/14 11:29:27 (permalink)
    Though the main point of ATX standards more or less defining design parameters seems to have been missed.   Too a large degree,  standards aided the growth of the industry. Just as more or less a dominant OS aided the growth of ancillary industries. *Monopolies have good and bad aspects.  The fact that for the most part you can just plug in any of hundreds of millions of different type devices and they just work, should be a marvel to anyone who grew up or worked on Apollo era....

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

immortalshadows
    • Total Posts : 99
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Card Design... Just so many question. 2018/11/12 17:12:09 (permalink)
    I want to make a case that looks like the batmobile 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile