DARK Vroc support for SM961

Author
noryss
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/10/10 20:09:14 (permalink)
Hi Evga,

I purchased your x299 dark and 2 Samsung Sm961 drives. Unfortunately the bios shows unsupported. And yes i am running the latest bios from your website. 

Consulting Intel Vroc compatible drive list, it shows this drive compatible. But Evga's manual doesn't. Obviously, Intels drive list is updated on Sept 28th 2018. 

Should I expect a bios update that will bring the x299 Dark in line with Intel's specifications? 

1 Reply Related Threads

GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: DARK Vroc support for SM961 2018/10/10 21:54:51 (permalink)
    You might want to contact Intel and find out what it is they are doing with VROC support and the X299 chips set. The list you are referring too is at odds with their page discussing VROC on the X299 platform, dated Sept 5 2018, just weeks before the VROC sheet was updated. And that sheet is linked too from the X299 page.

Here is the link for VROC and X299 - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026106/memory-and-storage/ssd-software.html
    Directly from that page -

Does Intel VROC support third-party SSDs on the X299 platform?
    No. Intel VROC on X299 platforms supports Intel® SSDs only. For a full list of supported Intel SSDs, please see the Intel® VROC Configuration List.

What is the Intel VROC SKU supported on X299?
    The Intel VROC SKU supported on X299 is: Intel VROC-Intel SSD only SKU (VROCISSDMOD): RAID 0/1/5/10 support on Intel SSDs only.

Linked supported drive page -
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030310/memory-and-storage/ssd-software.html
    That page does not specify what platforms it is supporting those drive in VROC

You might give this a look over as well (link is too the post that is of interest) -
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98143-RE6-VROC-SAMSUNG-SM961-960-PRO-HYPER-M-2-X16-Card#post691589

I cannot find a link to where I read it (See edit note) but what it boils down too is there is a key for Enterprise servers that does support 3rd part drives as the above listed page lists. What Intel didn't want was a consumer grade platform to have the same access since people would then buy the cheaper consumer product instead of the enterprise / server grade at the higher cost.
    Edit note: What I just said above about the different keys and Intel wanting to control what is what on the platforms for profit are from that ROG Asus link above

Asus, MSI, EVGA ect. can only give you access as per what Intel dictates and unfortunately Intel pulled a bunch of smoke and mirrors crap. What probably does work is regular non VROC raid on NVME Sata SSD drives which does not require the key.

Also keep in mind that if you do actually get it to recognize the M.2 drives for your raid setup Intel has been pretty adamant that they only support it being able to boot with Intel drives.
    post edited by GGTV-Jon - 2018/10/10 22:16:46
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile