EVGA

New Z370 FTW Motherboard, Memory not posting in Slot 4

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Chemist18
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: New Z370 FTW Motherboard, Memory not posting in Slot 4 2018/10/23 13:00:54 (permalink)
GGTV-Jon
I was going to ask if you had sent them your original board with the socket cover in place.
It is probably too late but I would recommend taking a picture of the socket on the new board for future reference / protection.

With the one pin in the upper part of the picture being bent over backwards that was a substantial contact to the socket

What do you think the chances are that (other than memory socket 4) it would have functioned perfectly?
GGTV-Jon
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1813
  • Ribbons : 19
Re: New Z370 FTW Motherboard, Memory not posting in Slot 4 2018/10/23 13:01:53 (permalink)
Unless the cover was dislodged in shipping and caused the damage. But as you said, stuff (putting it nicely) happens and we move on.
GGTV-Jon
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1813
  • Ribbons : 19
Re: New Z370 FTW Motherboard, Memory not posting in Slot 4 2018/10/23 13:03:00 (permalink)
Chemist18
GGTV-Jon
I was going to ask if you had sent them your original board with the socket cover in place.
It is probably too late but I would recommend taking a picture of the socket on the new board for future reference / protection.

With the one pin in the upper part of the picture being bent over backwards that was a substantial contact to the socket

What do you think the chances are that (other than memory socket 4) it would have functioned perfectly?

You would have had to just run it for a while and kept an eye on it
Chemist18
Re: New Z370 FTW Motherboard, Memory not posting in Slot 4 2018/10/23 13:08:39 (permalink)
GGTV-Jon
Chemist18
GGTV-Jon

You would have had to just run it for a while and kept an eye on it

I actually used the motherboard for a week with a single RAM chip while I waited for the new board.  If functioned perfectly other than socket 4.

Next time I'll take picture though :)
Chemist18
Re: New Z370 FTW Motherboard, Memory not posting in Slot 4 2018/10/23 15:39:19 (permalink)
My guess now is that the single pin was bent when I originally received the motherboard.  Based on their policy of voiding warranties for bent pins that means as soon as they ship a board with a bent pin the person that gets that board is screwed.

They confirmed that it is possible the board would have functioned fine with the exception of RAM slot 4 because that section of pins is used to access RAM.

I can't think of a single scenario where I could have bent a single pin without touching any adjacent to it.  The only tool that came anywhere near the assembly process was a single Philips head screwdriver.  I only needed that for the screws that anchor the motherboard to the case.  The CPU cover wasn't removed until that process was complete.  The drives all go into bays which secure with finger tightened screws.  The bays slide out the front of the case.

http://store.antec.com/gaming-series/nine-hundred.html#

Not a pleasant experience.  Oh well, I don't know. 

Thank you guys for your knowledge. 

ckillinxxx
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: New Z370 FTW Motherboard, Memory not posting in Slot 4 2019/07/08 09:52:08 (permalink)
Turns out you're not alone. I got my EVGA Z390 Dark board last week, I've been patiently working towards building this rig little by little. Custom water loop, delid i9, perfect cable management,  memory, the works. I go to power this bad boy on and I'm hit with the F7, 4C, 80, 16 error codes, ****? Can't even post into BIOS. After tinkering around, turns out the only way I can post into BIOS is if I leave only 1 memory module in DIMM 2 (CHA-B) (the top DIMM slot), I can set XMP profile no issue, CPU no issue, the moment I shut off and go to add second memory module and go to turn back on...nothing. I examined my socket pins for CPU, I barely noticed a slight bend in one of the pins, I don't know if I would even consider it a bend, but I carefully bend it back into place, still no good. Tried different sets of memory sticks that I know are good, different PSU, different i9 (stock), no good. There is something wrong with DIMM 1 (CHANNEL A) (bottom dimm slot), called EVGA they are telling me to RMA. I really wanted this board to be the life of my system, I waited so long to get it, and I can't use it with just 8GB of memory, I will have to RMA. Hopefully I can be patient and wait. Thanks.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile