EVGA

RMA issue - card has been RMA'ed before?

Author
makman6
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/09/28 06:08:09 (permalink)
Hi,

I have a strange problem with RMA'ing my 980TI, SN: 151293499580****
I have 13 EVGA's 980 TI in my workstations, I did RMA 1 of them on May '18 and the support was just great.
I had registered few of them, as well as EVGA's PSU when I needed support. Once or twice RMA was not needed - issue was resolved via e-mail conversation.
I've bought half of my cards as 2nd hand units, I have original invoices (from 1st user, or just mine) for most of them.

Today, I was told that this card was RMA'ed before and therefore I will not receive RMA number.
How could this card be RMA'ed before? I have this card in workstation for quite long time. Now it's on my table with original SN sticker on it. Despite the conversation with EU support, EVGA's system is telling me that I can start RMA process (date of purchase: 11/26/2015). As far as I can seen every RMA'ed card (just like my other 980TI which was RMA'ed on May) is named in EVGA's system as "units was RMA'ed on xx day". You can't do anything with it. This card is clearly described as warranty untill 11/26/2018 (3 years). 

If I'd known that your system has wrong information I'd never buy EVGA's 2-nd hand cards. I was always checking if there is still warranty in Your system and I was only buying units which are described as "under warranty untill xx". Also, how could this card be RMA'ed before if I own it? You're replacing all the cards (am I right?) - not sending new ones without sending the foulty one. 
If it's not under warranty then checking warranty expiration date on your web page (when buying 2nd hand unit) is worthless. 
You can be misinformed.

PS.
I've triple-checked if I didn't messed it up. As I said I have plenty of those cards, but I have RMA'ed only 1 before (and today another one). I also send the foulty card to Germany for replacement and I never had the foulty one back.

I'd appreciate help with this RMA. I'd also appreciate clear information - is it safe to buy 2-nd hand card and check the warranty in EVGA system (is this information 100% right or not).

Thanks for help,
Maciej
post edited by Sajin - 2018/09/28 11:22:33

Attached Image(s)

8 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: RMA issue - card has been RMA'ed before? 2018/09/28 15:06:14 (permalink)
    How can the Public Help with your RMA Issue?
    "I had registered few of them, as well as EVGA's PSU when I needed support." This is on you, you should have Registered the Cards when you first got them and not wait till you need support for them.
    This way your Records for your Products are up to date on your Account for support when needed.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/09/28 15:11:31

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

EVGATech_MarkusK
    EVGA EU Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 315
    Re: RMA issue - card has been RMA'ed before? 2018/10/01 02:27:44 (permalink)
    Hi Makman6,

we replied back to your last email request - it seems that the serial number which is mentioned, was already part of an RMA, therefore we wrote you again to get some additional information,

Please get back to us by email,

Thanks,

Markus
    makman6
    Re: RMA issue - card has been RMA'ed before? 2018/10/01 04:28:42 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    How can the Public Help with your RMA Issue?
    "I had registered few of them, as well as EVGA's PSU when I needed support." This is on you, you should have Registered the Cards when you first got them and not wait till you need support for them.
    This way your Records for your Products are up to date on your Account for support when needed.

I was asking on Public Help because I wanted to know if it's 100% safe to buy EVGA's graphic cards and check the warranty only in their system (if there is no VAT invoice from the 1st/original buyer like EBAY for example). I was always sure it is 100% safe - if the card is under warranty in system it means it has warranty. Noone answered this question, neither on forum nor on private message.

I understand there is some problem - maybe someone already RMA'ed it before (but how could he sell me this card after all - shouldn't be the card returned to EVGA?) and it's not under warranty - I was only asking whether EVGA's warranty system is always correct or not.

It wouldn't change anything if I'd registered it months ago. It'd be out of warranty anyway if someone RMA'ed it before. 
    I'm not registering everything because I don't have to. It takes some time to type all those numbers and upload all invoices. As far as I know there is no rule in EVGA policy "register it ASAP or your warranty is void".

EVGATech_MarkusK
    Hi Makman6,

we replied back to your last email request - it seems that the serial number which is mentioned, was already part of an RMA, therefore we wrote you again to get some additional information,

Please get back to us by email,

Thank You Markus - I'll reply ASAP. Don't get me wrong, I'm not angry on EVGA - I just need that information. I will not buy any 2nd hand parts if there is possibility to be out of warranty even if system tells me that warranty is valid.

makman6
    Re: RMA issue - card has been RMA'ed before? 2018/10/16 07:01:10 (permalink)
    After conversation with EVGA this card is no longer under warranty. 
    So if You want to buy used EVGA card and EVGA's "warranty check webpage" says that this hardware should be still under warranty it's not 100% sure information. You should still contact EVGA via e-mail or call them and ask if their system is not wrong and You will have no problems to RMA it.
    I'll stick to new ones only. Buying used cards, even EVGA's, might be a shady business.
    Thanks for support anyway,

ssateneth
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re: RMA issue - card has been RMA'ed before? 2018/10/21 11:00:48 (permalink)
    You can still buy used EVGA cards and use the warranty on them, as long as you have an invoice that shows a transfer of ownership (you dont need the original retailer invoice for second hand warranty). Just ask the seller for a picture of the sticker if its not visible or ask for the SN directly (though some sellers dont like that, no idea why) then either hit up EVGA chat support or phone them and ask about its warranty and if it has been RMA'd before. You can phone them any time of the day or night and they'll help you. I've called 3AM for a warranty check and got accurate info quickly.

You never know if a card is an RMA replacement judging from the serial number. RMA replacements carry the remaining warranty of the card it replaced, but get a brand new serial number sticker, so if a 980 Ti has a SN starting with 18, it's very likely NOT a 2018 model warrantied through 2021; It's probably an RMA replacement and its warranty is probably running through 2017, 2018, or 2019 at this point. Always contact EVGA first if you want to make sure a second hand GPU is still under warranty and how long it has left. Don't make assumptions based purely on looking at 
    post edited by ssateneth - 2018/10/21 11:06:05
    makman6
    Re: RMA issue - card has been RMA'ed before? 2018/10/21 12:50:56 (permalink)
    It's not exacly correct. Every single part of my hardware which have been replaced is no longer available to RMA in EVGA's online system (on my account). It's marked as "RMA'ed this and this day and replaced with this and this serial number". Every single one except this one. It's not marked as replaced unit. Probably someone in EVGA forgot to mark it as RMA'ed.
    I also wonder how could I buy a unit that should be in possetion of EVGA RMA department. All parts that are being replaced have to be returned to EVGA (this is information from EVGA). This one wasn't.

I have proof of purchase (2nd hand) + original sticker with serial number. 

I've read many topics here on forum about 2nd hand EVGA products and all people advised "check warranty in EVGA system before buying". This is why I wrote - checking online is not enough. Online system might be wrong so I strongly advice everyone who wants to buy second hand EVGA product to call or e-mail EVGA before bidding on auction.

Cheers,
    _JeffP
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 652
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: RMA issue - card has been RMA'ed before? 2018/10/24 03:20:51 (permalink)
    Makman6, your situation is unique in an unfortunate way. We do have records of when replacement items are shipped out, we also have records of when serial numbers are returned to us. Serial numbers that have been returned to us are never shipped back out in US and EU. 

Everything is security. 
    makman6
    Re: RMA issue - card has been RMA'ed before? 2018/10/24 03:54:34 (permalink)
    Yeah I know. There must have been some issue during the replacement process and probably someone send this "foulty" card back to market and didn't mark it as "replaced" in your online system. I'm just suggesting everyone to call/email You before buying 2nd hand units and don't trust 100% Your warranty-online system. I think You can give more detailed information than this system. I might feel unlucky but of course I'm not angry on You, even if there was something wrong with this card. I was always 100% satisfied with EVGA products and EVGA warranty support. If the card was replaced before I'm ok that You won't replace it again. I was just talking about those procedures - You may want to check it out yourself so this situation will not occur to someone else. Have a nice day,
    Cheers,
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile