EVGA

Another Customer Disservice

Author
Deathstalker205
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/09/27 19:46:07 (permalink)
One night couple weeks ago was playing Ark Survival Evolved. And my computer shuts off refusing to power back on. I figured something bad had happened since I could smell the magical scent. It was early in the AM so I went to bed since I had to be up for work in 4 hours. Got home next night started removing parts hdds ssds memory gpu. It starts up so I look at the card again and the pins on the card is covered in ash. Look at the socket on the motherboard same thing. Motherboard 3 days out of warranty. So order new one old got stacked in the dumpster pile. How ever GPU still under warranty so I open a ticket. And it starts.

Question 9/17/2018 11:50:50 AM

I was playing Ark Survival Evolved, my computer shut down and would not power back on. So I started removing components and found that this card had burn't PCI-E pins. So I left it out and tried turning my PC back on and it came back to life. Any chance on a replacement card?

Answer 9/17/2018 1:05:53 PM

Hello Christopher,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue with your graphics card. I do apologize about the inconveniences that you're receiving at this time. Please send us a photo of the burnt components so that we can attach it to your account and forward over to the correct personal for review. Please also send us images of the system you've got this graphics card installed in. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us back here or through our Customer Support Line 1 (888) 881-3842.

Regards,
EVGA

Question 9/18/2018 12:23:08 PM

Here is a picture of the motherboard I took out which I am waiting for a replacement on. The board still worked but the PCIe slot the card was in got damaged when the card went. And a picture of the case the computer lived in. As well as a picture of the burn't section of the card as requested.

Answer 9/18/2018 4:51:29 PM

Hello,

I do apologize, but this type of damage is not covered under our warranty terms. I do notice corrosion on the gold fingers on the cards. Do you have a closed loop cooler to cool your CPU? I would check this for leaks and if there are any, get in contact with the manufacturer. If you have any further questions or issues, please feel free to contact us via email or by phone at 1.888.881.3842. Our customer support office is open 24 hours a day, 7 days week.

Thank you,
EVGA

Jacob B.

Question 9/20/2018 3:51:54 PM

No I do not have an AIO cooler. So why exactly are you denying this claim. Is it because of the thermal paste 'corrosion' on the 2 12v and GND fingers. Which likely came from me using the same rag to clean off my cpu after removing it and then using it to wipe the ash off this burnt mess to see what the overall damage was. Or the fact that the card is damaged from playing a game and refusing to honor the warranty that we as customers pay as part of our premuim on these cards. I specifically went with EVGA over my normal brand because of the supposed great customer support so I figured I would have less of a turn around than I had with others should the need arise. But turns out when I had a case that I had to use said service find out that it is subpar to other brands. Here is 2 full images of the pcb

Answer 9/20/2018 5:30:16 PM

Hello,

I do apologize for the inconvenience on this issue.

The reason we asked about the cooler was because from the picture originally sent us it looks like it might have bee caused by liquid damage. If there was no liquid damage to the card and it was caused by either a PSU short or motherboard short(more than likely) then it should be covered and we can assist with an RMA. If you would like to send it in to us for a replacement then you can have that done. However, once it arrives and is inspected by our RMA Department and they determine that the card is damaged due to liquid then it would be rejected and sent back to you and the warranty will be void. Then you would have to contact the motherboard or PSU maker about the damage.

Regards,
EVGA

Thank you for reaching out to us and providing photos of your GTX card. That said the damage shown to the PCIe gold fingers would not be covered under warranty.

The reason for this is because the card has warranty to protect against any failures of the card from internal defects. The damage to the PCIe fingers can only come from an external source usually the motherboard, or a surge from the wall.

We have had management review cases like this and unfortunately this damage is not covered by the warranty. We do apologize about not being able to replace the card.

So in the end I was told no after something was orignally said 'Should be covered' isn't actually covered. Needless to say think it is time to go back to ASUS and MSI. I've at least dealt with ASUS back in the day when 60% of their Striker Extreme motherboards had issues. MSI never had an issue to warrant an RMA other than a GTX 780 literally blowing chokes 3 times over the course of 4 years before it stopped putting out video but would still run GP computing.

Sorry for such a long post but I had to get my displeasure with this company off my chest. And again sorry if the formating is majorily screwed but I'm posting this with my phone.

https:// i.imgur.com/UsrjTIv.jpg
https:// i.imgur.com/3USzsqE.jpg
post edited by Deathstalker205 - 2018/09/27 19:48:10

8 Replies Related Threads

EVGA_Gabriel.S
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 142
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Another Customer Disservice 2018/09/27 20:02:29 (permalink)
    Hello Deathstalker205,

I'm sorry to hear that your RMA process was unsatisfactory, I sent an email to management so they can review your case. 

They will follow up with you as soon as possible.

Thank you and I'm sorry for the inconvenience. 
    maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10053
    • Ribbons : 165
    Re: Another Customer Disservice 2018/09/27 20:18:01 (permalink)
    From the appearance of the short shown in your photo -and- the complete lack of any corresponding visible GPU component failures (that I can see)
    This appears to be a non warranty issue -->IE its not covered.

When on GPU components fail.. and they do sometimes, such a failure "can" short to the PCIE slot. We have seen that type of failure before posted here.
    But as shown in your pictures, that was a very "strong short" and the component failure would likely be -very- easy to see... it is not visible to me in your pictures.

Since (the RMA is denied) its a complete loss, I would send it in to EVGA anyway and see if they can find anything (GPU component wise) not showing in your pictures.
    If they do, it's your lucky day... if they dont--> the card was toast anyway.

Good luck

*As always (now) because of repeated fraud and warranty abuse...
    Your camera is your very best friend. In place photos of the failure and a step by step photo trail (or even video) would have really helped.
    What you have visible in the two photos you posted is not in your favor in this instance. 

post edited by maniacvvv - 2018/09/27 20:37:20

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Another Customer Disservice 2018/09/27 20:23:17 (permalink)

Now that is a Fried Finger.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/09/27 20:24:25

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Another Customer Disservice 2018/09/27 20:28:51 (permalink)
    Thermal paste isn’t black, so the damage on the pci fingers isn’t thermal paste.

Do you have pictures of the motherboard?
    Deathstalker205
    Re: Another Customer Disservice 2018/09/28 10:25:43 (permalink)
    @EVGATech_GabrielS

Thank you for such a quick response. I will keep an ear out.

@ maniacvvv

Thank you for the explaination. Much more detailed than anything I got from a tech or rep. I not trying to defraud anyone I just wanted something that has been running perfect for the past year that suddenly died fixed. I may decided to take your advice on the slim shot though.

@ bcavnaugh

Yup nice and toasty. Anyone got some bar-b-que sauce. Finger lickin good!

@ the_Scarlet_one

You sir are right thermal paste isn't black but burns are. The thermal paste reference was due to the greyish residue that was on pin 3, 4, 5 which are 12v, gnd, smclk respectively. That was on the first picture I sent them.
    The burn't mess consists of 7, 8, 9, 10 which are gnd, 3.3v, jtag, 3.3vaux.

No I do not have pictures of the motherboard since it was stack in the trash pile and replaced from damage to the slot the card sat in. While yes it would still work and I was able to use it I decided not to and order another one since one of the shorted pins was the SMCLK which is a direct lead to the cpu which I'm lucky didn't fry in the first place and didn't want to give it any reason to think about frying itself

Nor do I have any of the first 3 picture I sent them because I heard such great things about them I though this would be a clear cut process and I would have already returned to my weekend warrior computing which for someone that works 70 hours a week is an escape from reality. But I was wrong.
    post edited by Deathstalker205 - 2018/09/28 10:35:22
    Deathstalker205
    Re: Another Customer Disservice 2018/10/02 16:33:54 (permalink)
    Guess EVGA won't be responding after all. I figured I would give them a few days which turned into several since I've lived at my resturant the past few days. Thanks for the quick responses.
    EVGATech_DanielM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1132
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Another Customer Disservice 2018/10/02 20:46:21 (permalink)
    Hello DeathStalker205

I can confirm that it is still in the review phase and is considered a special case. We will be reaching out to your shortly and we apologize about the wait. 
    Deathstalker205
    Re: Another Customer Disservice 2018/10/03 09:29:11 (permalink)
    Thank you DanielM
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile