GTX 970 runs everything at 44fps

Author
dslrguy
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 133
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/09/21 14:24:15 (permalink)
I play mostly games like Fallout NV, 4, Skyrim SE, Witcher 3, etc. FRAPS is pegged at 44 fps in all of them. Heaven benchmark also says 44 fps. This doesn't sound right especially for the older games. Something seems to be bottle necking my system. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Win 10 Pro version 1803 build 17134.285
x99 classified @ 4ghz
32 gigs ram
i7 5820k
2 ASUS PA 24 monitors (8ms)

7 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GTX 970 runs everything at 44fps 2018/09/21 14:50:03 (permalink)
    Sounds like a frame rate limiter is enabled.
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: GTX 970 runs everything at 44fps 2018/09/22 06:37:15 (permalink)
    that's the first thing I think of as well

also did you try with one monitor  hooked up as a single  to just check that  or each cable used in single monitor hook up ?  

or the ol' check the card out in a known working right computer   [maybe your buddies rig  ] to see if its running on it correct  or maybe hes got a extra card or lets you use his in yours to test that out ?

is it stuck at 44 fps all the time or is that the max  and will drop lower in a lull / low demand use ?

maybe a screen shot of idle and  full load use to compare  [gpu/cpu ]   may see something not quite right ?

example

dslrguy
    Superclocked Member
    Re: GTX 970 runs everything at 44fps 2018/09/23 06:27:42 (permalink)
    Thanks Dr. Death for the response. The only place I saw the fps drop was in a few passes of Heaven. When I start the games the fps will quickly ramp to 44 and stay there.
    What utilities should I use for stress testing? What did you use for the example data you posted?
    My wife has a an i7 3770k z77 machine with 16gb that she uses for work but doesn't play games. I could use that to test the 970 but it would require installing drivers and downloading games and utilities.
    I haven't tried disconnecting one of the monitors or testing the cables yet.
    This is really bugging me now. At one time the fps was running at 60 fps on older games (monitors are 60hz with vsync on) and in the 50's on newer ones.
    Please let me know on the utilities and I'll start there.
    Thanks!
    dslrguy
    Superclocked Member
    Re: GTX 970 runs everything at 44fps 2018/09/23 07:43:43 (permalink)
    I found the problem.
    It was with Precision. The Frame Rate Target tab was set to 44. Even though I wasn't running Precision and it was uninstalled, the profiles are not deleted. Deleting the profiles folder fixed the issue.
    Checking this thread helped in finding the problem: https://forums.evga.com/Precision-X-OC-Not-starting-Up-on-Windows-start-up-m2721014.aspx
    I found the issue by first reinstalling Precision and checking all the settings. I'm currently not running Precision and the fps cap is gone.
    Thanks everyone for helping.
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: GTX 970 runs everything at 44fps 2018/09/23 08:15:23 (permalink)
    well my copy of the free  mark3d firestrike has the stress test  for it , but they get cheap with each later release and make you pay or become a ''member ''..    heck you cant even uise there data base like to look at scores anymore  / cheap ..  I don't allow it to update . 

I would try each monitor on there own and check each cable as you do that   ..    maybe a signal issue in one of them things preventing things ?      you need to test the card in a known working rig and monitor  to insure its not the card .    I keep backup rigs / atlerast one of my old gaming rigs  for testing as trhat or I take it to my buddies  to test on his latest strong rig  if still fgunny and get his opinion  on how and what he sees for it . 

lol ....your resolve post popped up    there you go     I was going to suggest removing that like afterburner or pre -x  [uninstall ]   to be sure it was not a glitch in them in some way or you clicked a setting unknowingly  and cant re-find it to change back     [pre-x did not work right and I had to uninstall it the first time I used it as a matter of fact  ] 2ed time was the charm...lol..

well looks like you got it going on now . so enjoy 

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: GTX 970 runs everything at 44fps 2018/09/23 12:03:31 (permalink)
    Yep..The leftover .cfg files can/will cause problems..Used to have the option in Precision to delete them when uninstalling the program like MSI Afterburner does, but not anymore..EVGA should bring that option back again.

And don't forget that after making any changes in the Precision/HWM/OSD settings and clicking OK where applicable that it's always a good idea to close Precision and open it again to make sure changes have taken effect because some things will not get written/saved to the .cfg files unless you close Precision..And always close HWM (if it's open) first before closing Precision..Closing Precision after disabling the Framerate Target just may been all that was needed to fix your issue.

You should probably be able install Precision again and have no further problems as long as you do what I suggested above and in my other post..Precision versions 6.1.16 and 6.2.3 seem to be the least problematic..MSI Afterburner is an alternative to Precision.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: GTX 970 runs everything at 44fps 2018/09/24 08:17:23 (permalink)
    bob16314
    Yep..The leftover .cfg files can/will cause problems..Used to have the option in Precision to delete them when uninstalling the program like MSI Afterburner does, but not anymore..EVGA should bring that option back again.

And don't forget that after making any changes in the Precision/HWM/OSD settings and clicking OK where applicable that it's always a good idea to close Precision and open it again to make sure changes have taken effect because some things will not get written/saved to the .cfg files unless you close Precision..And always close HWM (if it's open) first before closing Precision..Closing Precision after disabling the Framerate Target just may been all that was needed to fix your issue.

You should probably be able install Precision again and have no further problems as long as you do what I suggested above and in my other post..Precision versions 6.1.16 and 6.2.3 seem to be the least problematic..MSI Afterburner is an alternative to Precision.

+1

think that was what I was seeing    when I first used it with this card when I got it up and going    . clean uninstall and reinstall did the trick and not had issue since  [???]]
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile