EVGA

1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to max

Author
Mastercoc
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/09/21 07:20:01 (permalink)
Is this normal? Power usage is between 85%-95% almost all the time. Sometimes it hits 105% or even 110% but that's only in Witcher 3 on 4K, most other games use between 85-95%. I even maxed the voltage but it didn't help. I just want to know if it's normal or not and if it can cause GPU unstable after OC, I managed to add +200 on core and +450 on memory without getting artifacts. +220 on core worked too but after reaching 72 degrees I started seeing artifacts. Also red LED in FTW2 logo doesn't work :( It's only green or blue (card is new), it's not a huge problem to me but I have black and red build and it kinda annoys me...

22 Replies Related Threads

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/09/21 09:01:09 (permalink)
    Mastercoc
    Is this normal? Power usage is between 85%-95% almost all the time. Sometimes it hits 105% or even 110% but that's only in Witcher 3 on 4K, most other games use between 85-95%. I even maxed the voltage but it didn't help. I just want to know if it's normal or not and if it can cause GPU unstable after OC, I managed to add +200 on core and +450 on memory without getting artifacts. +220 on core worked too but after reaching 72 degrees I started seeing artifacts. Also red LED in FTW2 logo doesn't work :( It's only green or blue (card is new), it's not a huge problem to me but I have black and red build and it kinda annoys me...

Yes, completely normal.  You didn't mention what processor you have as that also affects GPU utilization.  Faster processor plus higher resolution equals higher GPU utilization. The red LED thing will require fidding around with POXC and reboots and maybe it will work.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Mastercoc
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/09/21 09:28:25 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    Mastercoc

Yes, completely normal.  You didn't mention what processor you have as that also affects GPU utilization.  Faster processor plus higher resolution equals higher GPU utilization. The red LED thing will require fidding around with POXC and reboots and maybe it will work.

Red LED is dead... I rebooted PC many times, uninstalled POXC and tried different colours. I have 85% power usage in black ops 3 on max settings with overclcoked card and maxed voltage. It's 1085mV, my previous 1070SC was using full power all the time staying at around 105% power limit. I tried switching bios to slave but still the same. I just think I could get much more OC from this card if it could only stay atleast at 110% power... I have 7700K
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/09/21 09:49:19 (permalink)
    Mastercoc
    HeavyHemi
    Mastercoc

Red LED is dead... I rebooted PC many times, uninstalled POXC and tried different colours. I have 85% power usage in black ops 3 on max settings with overclcoked card and maxed voltage. It's 1085mV, my previous 1070SC was using full power all the time staying at around 105% power limit. I tried switching bios to slave but still the same. I just think I could get much more OC from this card if it could only stay atleast at 110% power... I have 7700K

Okay. Are you running your processor at stock clocks?  What memory and speed do you have? The rest of your system drives GPU utilization along with game code. Using a more powerful GPU with the same CPU is probably going to drop your GPU utilization a bit because your CPU has to work a bit harder.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Mastercoc
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/09/21 10:31:56 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    Mastercoc
    HeavyHemi
    Mastercoc

Okay. Are you running your processor at stock clocks?  What memory and speed do you have? The rest of your system drives GPU utilization along with game code. Using a more powerful GPU with the same CPU is probably going to drop your GPU utilization a bit because your CPU has to work a bit harder.

My GPU usage is all time at 99%, I'm talking about GPU power limit, I've set it to 120% but GPU is only using 85% of all the power. If I could somehow force it to use more power (simply drain more Watts) I would get more stable OC and higher clocks...
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/09/21 10:52:19 (permalink)
    Mastercoc
    HeavyHemi
    Mastercoc
    HeavyHemi
    Mastercoc

My GPU usage is all time at 99%, I'm talking about GPU power limit, I've set it to 120% but GPU is only using 85% of all the power. If I could somehow force it to use more power (simply drain more Watts) I would get more stable OC and higher clocks...

Okay, If you won't answer my questions, I can't help you. I've explained precisely what is happening and why. Later.

Mastercoc
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/09/21 11:07:39 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    Mastercoc
    HeavyHemi
    Mastercoc
    HeavyHemi
    Mastercoc

Okay, If you won't answer my questions, I can't help you. I've explained precisely what is happening and why. Later.

But you're talking about GPU utilization.. I'm talking about GPU power draw. 7700K 4.5GHz STOCK, RAM 2x8GB 2666Mhz. My main problem now is that I can get perfectly stable +190 on core but once temperature reach 71 degrees which will happen after some time eventually game just crashes, the same thing happenes on +150 on core and +120 on core... After some time game will just crash, I completed every synthetic benchmark like Firestrike, Time Spy or Superposition with +195 on core and it didn't crash because I didn't reach 71 degrees. In my opinion low power usage is the reason why this is happening. Power draw stays between 80-90% when I set power limit to 120%... My 1070SC was running above 100% power limit all the time, also it had higher voltage.. I don't know why GPU doesn't want to go higher. I'll upscale games to 4K and see if you're right. I may be actually hitting CPU bottleneck because FPS in Bo3 is around 150fps. I'll try games at 4K
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10330
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/09/21 11:15:35 (permalink)
    These GPU's will only use the power it needs.  The less power % it uses, the more efficient the GPU is.  Best thing is just max the power slider out and let the GPU determine what it needs based on the load that gets put on it.

If you have a GPU that's always running at the max power limit or attempts to go over, that will cause the clock speeds to drop.  Having a card that runs well under the power limit is good and is one less thing that will cause it to drop clock speeds.  All the power limit slider is for is to allow the GPU to use a bit more power than stock, but only if it's needed.

Mastercoc
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/09/21 11:19:12 (permalink)
    bdary
    These GPU's will only use the power it needs.  The less power % it uses, the more efficient the GPU is.  Best thing is just max the power slider out and let the GPU determine what it needs based on the load that gets put on it.

If you have a GPU that's always running at the max power limit or attempts to go over, that will cause the clock speeds to drop.  Having a card that runs well under the power limit is good and is one less thing that will cause it to drop clock speeds.  All the power limit slider is for is to allow the GPU to use a bit more power than stock, but only if it's needed.

I tried in 4K. 2025Mhz and power draw jumped to 95%, but that's still far below 120%. If you say this is normal I won't bother. However these crashes after 10 minutes of playing with OC are strange... I'll try to keep my temperature below 70 degrees and see if it stops crashing (on stock settings I have around 65 degrees under load).
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10330
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/09/21 11:31:55 (permalink)
    It's very doubtful the 71C temp is the cause of your crashes.  You could try this.  Set a constant fan speed at a low setting, say 40%.  Set your GPU to stock clocks and do some gaming.  The game that puts the biggest load on your GPU.  Watch the temps.  The object here is to get the card to 71C or higher to see if you crash.  If you don't, I'd suspect it's your OC that causing the crash.

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/09/21 13:55:57 (permalink)
    Mastercoc
    HeavyHemi
    Mastercoc
    HeavyHemi
    Mastercoc
    HeavyHemi
    Mastercoc

But you're talking about GPU utilization.. I'm talking about GPU power draw. 7700K 4.5GHz STOCK, RAM 2x8GB 2666Mhz. My main problem now is that I can get perfectly stable +190 on core but once temperature reach 71 degrees which will happen after some time eventually game just crashes, the same thing happenes on +150 on core and +120 on core... After some time game will just crash, I completed every synthetic benchmark like Firestrike, Time Spy or Superposition with +195 on core and it didn't crash because I didn't reach 71 degrees. In my opinion low power usage is the reason why this is happening. Power draw stays between 80-90% when I set power limit to 120%... My 1070SC was running above 100% power limit all the time, also it had higher voltage.. I don't know why GPU doesn't want to go higher. I'll upscale games to 4K and see if you're right. I may be actually hitting CPU bottleneck because FPS in Bo3 is around 150fps. I'll try games at 4K

GPU utilization and power draw are of course closely related As  Some refer to it as a 'bottleneck'. If you overclocked your processor for example, it would  result in some increase in FPS and GPU utilization. Also make sure in the game profile you have 'Prefer Maximum Performance' selected.
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2018/09/21 14:02:44

Mastercoc
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/09/22 03:09:44 (permalink)
    I ran furmark stress test for 1 hour with +175mhz on core and +400 on memory, max temp I got was 65 degrees. It didn't crash and power limit stayed at 80-85% all time. Maybe it's actually good because the less power it draw, the cooler the card is. Now I will try games to see if it's stable. Pascal is known for getting unstable at high temperature, my friends 1070MSI was also crashing after OC once it hit 75 degrees. I will also try Slave bios again, it changed nothing yesterday but I'll give it one more try.
    MrEWhite
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 202
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/09/22 17:47:35 (permalink)
    Mastercoc
    I ran furmark stress test for 1 hour with +175mhz on core and +400 on memory, max temp I got was 65 degrees. It didn't crash and power limit stayed at 80-85% all time. Maybe it's actually good because the less power it draw, the cooler the card is. Now I will try games to see if it's stable. Pascal is known for getting unstable at high temperature, my friends 1070MSI was also crashing after OC once it hit 75 degrees. I will also try Slave bios again, it changed nothing yesterday but I'll give it one more try.

Furmark is blacklisted by Nvidia, it'll never draw full power.
    01tdipower
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/09/22 20:15:20 (permalink)
    MrEWhite
    Mastercoc

I'm sorry, but this is completely untrue. I am able to see 127% power draw with furmark.
    Mastercoc
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/09/23 07:52:02 (permalink)
    01tdipower
    MrEWhite
    Mastercoc

I'm sorry, but this is completely untrue. I am able to see 127% power draw with furmark.

me too but only in benchmark mode, in stress test ts stays at 85%
    01tdipower
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/09/23 07:54:18 (permalink)
    Odd, I actually see full usage under the stress. One of the only applications I can actually get full draw.
    Mastercoc
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/09/23 07:54:36 (permalink)
    Ok everything seems fine (without counting dead red LED in ftw2 logo). BO3 simply doesn't like overclocked hardware, every other game ran stable at 2050mhz and 9GBps memory. Looks like card doesn't need more power than 85% TDP even after heavy OC.
    Mastercoc
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/09/23 07:55:40 (permalink)
    01tdipower
    Odd, I actually see full usage under the stress. One of the only applications I can actually get full draw.

I have 85% power in stress test and 115% in benchmark, kinda weird
    Pirolex
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/10/05 11:57:46 (permalink)
    My red FTW LED Logo is also "Dead".
    Is it normal????

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 || Intel i7 4790K Delidded @4,7Ghz @Corsair H115i Pro || EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra Silent || 16GB Hyper X Fury White DDR3 @2200Mhz CL10-12-12 || BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 10 650W || Samsung 850 PRO 250GB || Samsung 860 Evo 1000GB || Phanteks Enthoo Luxe || Windows 10 Pro
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/10/05 13:32:49 (permalink)
    Pirolex
    My red FTW LED Logo is also "Dead".
    Is it normal????

How about you make a new thread and give a little more information on exactly which card you have. Posting in someone's thread with an off topic random question doesn't fly.

And welcome to the EVGA forums
    Pirolex
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/10/05 13:41:17 (permalink)
    Hello I have already created a thread

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 || Intel i7 4790K Delidded @4,7Ghz @Corsair H115i Pro || EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra Silent || 16GB Hyper X Fury White DDR3 @2200Mhz CL10-12-12 || BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 10 650W || Samsung 850 PRO 250GB || Samsung 860 Evo 1000GB || Phanteks Enthoo Luxe || Windows 10 Pro
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/10/05 15:23:26 (permalink)
    Pirolex
    Hello I have already created a thread

Sorry I didn't see your thread, still seems like an random off topic post 🤔
    Pirolex
    Re: 1070Ti FTW2 not using 100% power even after setting power limit to 120% and voltage to 2018/10/05 15:47:22 (permalink)
    Hope someone answers to my thread

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile