EVGA

Unable to power on PC with graphics card in either PCIe slot - NVIDIA GTX 970 FTW

Author
Ryakkan
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/09/18 18:32:31 (permalink)
I'm on my third graphics card at this point. At the end of July my EVGA 970 FTW after 2.75 years died on me. As it was still under warranty, I requested a replacement. Installed the replacement and it lasted for a month. I installed my third graphics card after testing the power supply to make sure that the 12V rail was showing correct voltages and replacing the motherboard thinking that the issue might be with the PCIe bridge and it lasted 8 hours. Once the graphics card is removed from the system, the system boots with no noticeable issues. I can view my voltages on the 12V via system monitoring and did a stress test to make sure it was consistent and it didn't waver at all. I'm not sure what to do at this point and would love some advice. In terms of troubleshooting you tend to think of anything that could come into play. Every time that this has happened, I've been playing World of Warcraft, but I can't see how that would cause a GPU to fail. Just to clarify, with the graphics card in either of the PCIe slots the system will not power on, though the Motherboard is receiving power (Noticeable by on board RGB lights). I should not that only after the 3rd graphics card has failed have I noticed that NVidia has released a firmware update to 10 Seires, 900 and 700 Seires cards for use on DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 monitors. - 

System specifications are below.

Intel Core i5-8400
Asus ROG Strix Gaming H370-F motherboard - BIOS up to date
2x8 Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR4 RAM
EVGA Supernova G2 750W PSU
CoolerMaster 212X CPU Cooler
Corsair 400C Carbide Case
3x140mm case fans and 1x120 rear exhaust fan
1x500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot)
1x1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD
1x6TB 5400 RPM WD Blue
Displays: 
Dell 24" Gaming 1440p 144hz G-Sync Monitor - Connected via DisplayPort
Dell 24" 1400p 60hz Monitor - Connected via HDMI

10 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Unable to power on PC with graphics card in either PCIe slot - NVIDIA GTX 970 FTW 2018/09/18 18:35:51 (permalink)
    Sounds like it's time to test the card in another pc.
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Unable to power on PC with graphics card in either PCIe slot - NVIDIA GTX 970 FTW 2018/09/19 08:29:25 (permalink)
    I seen  1 or 2 guys with this issue  and a asus  3 series board   on other forum .    maybe see if your boards  bios updates offer any vga compatibility fix  if you find the card works in another computer  .    one of them guys tested his issue card and it worked fine   [900 series ]    but a older  600 series  worked in the board the 900 series did not  ???    so all cards he used but the 900 series worked  in his new asus   but the 900 card that did not worked in all computers he tested it in  [go figure  ]

that bios handshake was a thing starting with the 900 series  and a lot needed bios update support for them .

in the end you may have a great working 900 card  , but just not in that asus  

Ryakkan
    Re: Unable to power on PC with graphics card in either PCIe slot - NVIDIA GTX 970 FTW 2018/09/19 08:51:08 (permalink)
    Interesting. Thanks for that information.
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: Unable to power on PC with graphics card in either PCIe slot - NVIDIA GTX 970 FTW 2018/09/19 09:30:57 (permalink)
    sorry

well may of mis spoke

I got too fast and you did say powering up ?   as in will not come on at all even to post to bios   you say a card would last up to 8 months ?      may need to wonder if the boards power regulation say for /to the pci-e slots aint bad as well    

''Installed the replacement and it lasted for a month. I installed my third graphics card after testing the power supply to make sure that the 12V rail was showing correct voltages and replacing the motherboard thinking that the issue might be with the PCIe bridge and it lasted 8 hours''

well I guess that was covered with a new board and ending up the same way.

so now whats the same common factor or what part not been replaced ?   same PSU used   with the new board and cards ?   same CPU  maybe a bad chip and its pcie lanes are no good in some way  intel runs them in there cpu's unlike amd that's run in there chipsets .

how bout this  ...      will it boot up with the card in the slot , but no psu hooked up to the card ?   if so maybe the psu  feed to the 6-8 pin lead to power the card ?  if not  see then it may be from the board seing the pci-e slot is powered from it and its VRM's [75w]  or the cpu shorts [so to say] trying to use its pci-e lanes for the card ?

there were a few guys that rma'ed there skylake cpus back to intel  and there replacements cpu's worked great  [then that was skylakes]    so?

Dave3d
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 720
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Unable to power on PC with graphics card in either PCIe slot - NVIDIA GTX 970 FTW 2018/09/19 12:58:25 (permalink)
    Do you have a spare, or another pc, power supply you could try in your system instead of the evga power supply?
    Can you try the video card in another system to see if it works?
    Also, do you have another pci-e X16 slot to try it in (I know you got a ehole new motherboard, but just in case the evga power supply fried the main x16 slot. only install in this slot after you remove the evga power supply and put a different one in).
    Have you tried using a different port? Display port, dvi port, vga port, hdmi port?
    Have you disabled 'non-os related updates' in MS update? If not, please do right away.
    Have you uninstalled ANYTHING to do with the video? Like gpu-z, cpu-z, ALL monitoring software, PrecisionX or MSI afterburner? Then use DDU to clean again in safe mode.
    Then install an older driver, like 388.00 (the 365.xx drivers were the last before the 1000 series cards came out).
    Also, can you use other cables that go to the video card? It sounds like you may have a bad cable from the power supply, or a bad power supply even though you monitor it.

In the bios, do you have the pci-e slot set to Auto, or Gen 1, or gen 2, or gen 3? Try those different options. Gen 3 should give you the most power to the video card. Also, is there an option for video power on bootup (I know my asus mobo has one, I forget the name though, but it can boot in low power mode or regular mode). Try theat setting (sorry I cant remember the name or location of it).
    Also, go through the bios to see if there areb any other settings, like booting to pci-e device.
    If none of that works, do the ddu uninstall of everything, unhook the power to the wall for both system and monitor, pull EVERYTHING except the cpu out of the motherboard with the power supply unhooked and discharge the power using the power button, then pull the video card, the memory, SATA (mark where they go 1st. And make sure you are using the regular sata and not the external sata or the raid sata ports) anything else on the mobo. Plug the power in and try to boot (it wont of course). Plug everything back in 1 by one. If you have 4 memory sticks, only plug 2 in. If you have any X4 or X1 cards, do NOT plug them in. ONLY plug in 1 set of memory, the OS drive, and the video card. Go into bios and do a 'check for any changes', then apply and exit once its done.
    This will reset the bios what it has in memory/cache, and may 'find' the video card after.
    You could also put both cards in the same system and boot to the old card, and see if windows even sees the other card (let it run a while, then go into nvidia settings and see if it shows both cards)

It really sounds like maybe 4 things:
    Dead card.
    Power supply is bad/not enough juice left to run that card/bad cable.
    Bios settings are wrong, and it isnt booting the card correctly.
    Not enough PCI-E lanes from you cpu/mobo to power everything on the system.

I7 9700k water cooled-32GB Ram-Zotac 2080 x2 SLI-Asrock Z390 SLI mobo-EVGA 1600W G2 psu-ABS Glass case-2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor-Windows 10 Home
    Ryakkan
    Re: Unable to power on PC with graphics card in either PCIe slot - NVIDIA GTX 970 FTW 2018/10/02 15:01:31 (permalink)
    Just as a follow-up, I tested the graphics card in a friends computer with the same behavior. At this point I think when under load the power supply is somehow spiking or surging killing the power supply through the PCIe power ports. I'm getting a replacement one under warranty. Fingers and toes crossed.
    Chopper3200
    • Total Posts : 28
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Unable to power on PC with graphics card in either PCIe slot - NVIDIA GTX 970 FTW 2018/10/02 19:58:42 (permalink)
    The video card has a shorted out component, the power supply is sensing the short and shutting down as soon as it trys to be powered on. 
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    Re: Unable to power on PC with graphics card in either PCIe slot - NVIDIA GTX 970 FTW 2018/10/03 06:59:14 (permalink)
    personally I would not put past asus and a bad pci-e slot     see a lot of that around    why I say '' my ''last '' 3 asus were my last asus ''   with them seemed all ways something    somewhere  at any given time [opinion]  even my big time asus fan boy buddy stopped using them  now

same hardware pulled off the asus's  all work with out issu for yars on replacement boards /non asus .   even my buddy had to admit to that

one thing you notice is how many and fast there boards need bios updates      like some not even a year or so old and got like 15 20 of them all ready ??    how unstable were there boards to start with to begin with ? ...lol...     I seen they even remove some from there bios listings  so it don't look so bad anymore  .  

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Unable to power on PC with graphics card in either PCIe slot - NVIDIA GTX 970 FTW 2018/10/07 10:35:21 (permalink)
    Ryakkan
    Just as a follow-up, I tested the graphics card in a friends computer with the same behavior. At this point I think when under load the power supply is somehow spiking or surging killing the power supply through the PCIe power ports. I'm getting a replacement one under warranty. Fingers and toes crossed.

The video card is shorted. It's junk. There have been lots and lots and lots of 900 series cards failing in this way recently. Replacing the power supply is futile.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

TheMadDutchDude
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 212
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Unable to power on PC with graphics card in either PCIe slot - NVIDIA GTX 970 FTW 2018/10/07 10:59:02 (permalink)
    Yep, as above, it's a GPU issue. Your PC is cutting out or not powering on due to OCP/OVP saving it from further damage.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile