Helpful ReplyNVIDIA sound drivers clashing with Sound Blaster drivers

Author
turbomadman
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 460
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2018/09/11 20:16:34 (permalink)
When I first fired up my X299 Dark in July 2018 one of the first things I noticed was how awesome the on board Sound Blaster audio sounded compared to the Realtek on my previous boards. Then about two or three Nvidia updates ago I noticed one annoying problem, every time I booted the system the x-over frequency control in "Bass Management" would not load causing unwanted low frequencies going to my bookshelf speakers and not the separate sub. Too fix that I would have to go into the Sound Blaster control panel and uncheck then recheck the subwoofer box and that would fix that till the next boot. The other problem was the sound quality was never the same and started to sound even worse then the Realtek. The temporary fix for that was to reload the Sound Blaster drivers till reboot then back to square one. 

Now getting to the point. I been trying to catch up with my Evga forum reads and came across "The Crunchinator (Completed)" in the Mods Rig section.  Low and behold I came across Post No. 24 from rjohnson11 and 25 by bcavnaugh. They both spoke about leaving out the Nvidia HD sound driver for a particular problem that the Crunchinator was having. Since then I removed the Nvidia HD sound driver and it fixed my problem. Bass management always loads and the sound fidelity is there at every boot. 

I wanted to thank the Evga forum and it's members. I especially wanted to Shout Out a special thank you to rjohnson11, bcavnaugh who gave out the info I needed to fix my sound problem.

turbomadman
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 460
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: NVIDIA sound drivers clashing with Sound Blaster drivers 2018/09/11 20:17:53 (permalink)
BTW exactly what does the Nvidia HD sound drivers do in a system and would I ever need it?

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: NVIDIA sound drivers clashing with Sound Blaster drivers 2018/09/11 20:46:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby turbomadman 2018/09/12 19:44:14
It runs sound through your gpu to your monitor. If you aren’t using hay, remove the driver ASAP. Only one sound driver should be utilized at a time.
_AlanT
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 226
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: NVIDIA sound drivers clashing with Sound Blaster drivers 2018/09/11 20:53:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby turbomadman 2018/09/12 19:44:22
rjohnson11 & bcavnaugh, two well-respected EVGA Forum members. The Nvidia HD Sound drivers allow you to send a digital audio signal via the digital ports on the back of the card. You would need it if you are using a TV as a display and you may want to use the TV speakers for sound with the same cable you are using for the video signal. It can also be used to pass audio/video to a A/V receiver.

Best,
Alan
EVGA
GGTV-Jon
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1813
  • Ribbons : 19
Re: NVIDIA sound drivers clashing with Sound Blaster drivers 2018/09/11 23:36:50 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
It runs sound through your gpu to your monitor. If you aren’t using hay, remove the driver ASAP. Only one sound driver should be utilized at a time.

Though I do agree that if he is not using sound output to a monitor he should uninstall the nvidia audio drivers (along with the 3d drivers as well if not needed) I disagree on the only 1 sound driver bit. I don't mean to push this off topic too much but I have in the past ran a system with 3 different concurrent audio devices active. Headset on USB audio adapter, main speakers (5.1 system) on onboard (Realtek) and an monitor with speakers on HDMI (EVGA GTX 580 card) - Team speak main on the headset/mic, while listening to a secondary server on TS over the monitor speakers and game sound over the main speakers - yes it can be done

What the OP (and the aforementioned rjohnson11 & bcavnaugh) has posted leads to it being an issue with the Creative drivers clashing with the nvidia drivers. Unrelated to the OP posting this I had been checking recently to insure all my drivers on my X299 system were up to date and was shocked / saddened that there was little to no information on the creative on the Dark and the drivers look a little dated. Looks like they are just leaving it up to Windows 10
post edited by GGTV-Jon - 2018/09/11 23:46:08
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile