EVGA

Why is is XOC REQUIRED just to have the fans turn on?

Author
polorboy
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/08/26 13:33:30 (permalink)
I would like to know why on earth the "Precision XOC" BS is required for the fans on my ridiculously expensive graphics cards when I do not ever overclock.... ever.  I was under the reasonable conclusion that this XOC software is only required when someone wants to degrade the life of their ridiculously expensive GPU by over-volting and running at stupidly high temperatures just to get that ever so important additional 1 fps.  So, being the rational human being I decide that no, I don't want to over-volt and shorten the life span of my GPU because it is ridiculously expensive and I want to get the maximum amount of life time out of my GPU for the money.  So, that being said, why is it that when I do not have the XOC software running the fans on my GPU do not ever turn on, even under load (you know.... playing a game perhaps....) and my GPU eventually overheats even at normal load and my computer crashes.  I even have XOC set to "auto start" with Windows... which it never does.  Well, it will for a day or two after EVGA releases their forced updates but then promptly no longer starts with Windows.  I am never getting an EVGA graphics card ever again anyway, I am not going to deal with this bs when I upgrade.  But I would like to know what was behind that decision and who thought it was a good idea?  (hint: it isn't a good idea)

9 Replies Related Threads

JacobB
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 522
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Why is is XOC REQUIRED just to have the fans turn on? 2018/08/26 13:42:17 (permalink)
    polorboy
    I would like to know why on earth the "Precision XOC" BS is required for the fans on my ridiculously expensive graphics cards when I do not ever overclock.... ever.  I was under the reasonable conclusion that this XOC software is only required when someone wants to degrade the life of their ridiculously expensive GPU by over-volting and running at stupidly high temperatures just to get that ever so important additional 1 fps.  So, being the rational human being I decide that no, I don't want to over-volt and shorten the life span of my GPU because it is ridiculously expensive and I want to get the maximum amount of life time out of my GPU for the money.  So, that being said, why is it that when I do not have the XOC software running the fans on my GPU do not ever turn on, even under load (you know.... playing a game perhaps....) and my GPU eventually overheats even at normal load and my computer crashes.  I even have XOC set to "auto start" with Windows... which it never does.  Well, it will for a day or two after EVGA releases their forced updates but then promptly no longer starts with Windows.  I am never getting an EVGA graphics card ever again anyway, I am not going to deal with this bs when I upgrade.  But I would like to know what was behind that decision and who thought it was a good idea?  (hint: it isn't a good idea)

Hello,

Precision XOC is not required for the fans to run. Precision XOC is required for manual adjustment of the fan cure for the card however. The card's cooler is designed to turn the fans off when the card is not under load. Once the card reaches about 63 Celsius, the fans will turn on and start cooling the card as needed. Our FTW cards do have a secondary vBIOS which does have a more aggressive fan curve and forces one fan (the GPU fan) to spin at all times.

Additionally, Precision XOC does not degrade the life of the card. Precision XOC is designed for you to monitor, overclock, underclock, change fan curves, LED colors, etc. The program is simply a tool.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via email or by phone at 1.888.881.3842. Our customer support office is open 24 hours a day, 7 days week.We can answer any questions you have for us! :)

-Jacob B.
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Why is is XOC REQUIRED just to have the fans turn on? 2018/08/27 00:29:39 (permalink)

I like Precision so I can set a fan profile. I like my fans to spin after reaching 41c or above. That's just my personal preference on when I want the fans to kick in.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    s4nt0s
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Why is is XOC REQUIRED just to have the fans turn on? 2018/09/06 00:55:04 (permalink)
    I just got my EVGA 1080 TI DT Gaming card installed yesterday and I was using CPUID HWMonitor to check the fans, but it seems my fans are only turning on when I open the precision XOC software. As soon as I start the software, I see the GPU fans hit 1300 RPM, but when I close it, the stop. Why is that?

I clicked the little settings button and went to the fan tab and enabled "automatic fan control". From what I can see the fan should kick on when the GPU hits 30 celcius, but when I went into my game and got the card to 40 celcius, the fans never came on. (with XOC software closed)

Is there something I'm missing? It's weird that just by opening the software the fans start, but when I close it they stop.

Cordorb
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 635
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Why is is XOC REQUIRED just to have the fans turn on? 2018/09/06 22:18:14 (permalink)
    click the other button to place in dock  ie minimize not the close button.
    and double check the fan curves got saved.

s4nt0s
    Re: Why is is XOC REQUIRED just to have the fans turn on? 2018/09/06 23:23:47 (permalink)
    Cordorb

Maybe I misunderstood how this software is used. So I need to have this software docked or minimized for the fan curve option to work? I can't just enable the automatic fan curve option and then close it and forget about it? I'm not messing with any overlocking stuff because I have no experience with that and my DT card apparently isn't good for OC, but I think the automatic fan control would be nice to have enabled all the time. I was hoping I could enable that, close the software and never have to think about it again.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Why is is XOC REQUIRED just to have the fans turn on? 2018/09/07 00:55:32 (permalink)
    s4nt0s
    Cordorb

Maybe I misunderstood how this software is used. So I need to have this software docked or minimized for the fan curve option to work? I can't just enable the automatic fan curve option and then close it and forget about it? I'm not messing with any overlocking stuff because I have no experience with that and my DT card apparently isn't good for OC, but I think the automatic fan control would be nice to have enabled all the time. I was hoping I could enable that, close the software and never have to think about it again.

Custom fan curves require precision to be open at all times. When you close precision the card will run off its default curve that is built into the cards vbios.
    s4nt0s
    Re: Why is is XOC REQUIRED just to have the fans turn on? 2018/09/07 09:34:04 (permalink)
    Sajin
    s4nt0s
    Cordorb

Custom fan curves require precision to be open at all times. When you close precision the card will run off its default curve that is built into the cards vbios.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Why is is XOC REQUIRED just to have the fans turn on? 2018/09/07 11:23:49 (permalink)
    No problem.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Why is is XOC REQUIRED just to have the fans turn on? 2018/09/07 12:15:17 (permalink)
    OP question ---> "Why is is XOC REQUIRED just to have the fans turn on?"

Answer: XOC is NOT required to turn fans on; it is required for a custom fan curve.  Depending one the graphics card bought, some have a second BIOS that starts the fans sooner.  The standard GPU card is set in firmware for a quiet experience until about 60C

Why you need to Run XOC for the features to work ?

Because Precision XOC does Not overwrite the Cards Firmware, it is a separate setting held in volatile memory on your PC

I run XOC on most of my Folding Rigs - see signature builds -- Work fine for me

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile