TheMadDutchDude
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 212
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2018/08/21 13:31:40 (permalink)
Hey guys,

I wanted to ask you a question...

I have an EVGA Z270 FTW K that I recently sold on eBay, and decided to do the final testing before it went out the door. The system worked perfectly fine last night, but when I went to power it on today, there's absolutely no response from the board. Nothing at all. It's as if there's no power plugged in whatsoever.

Has anyone come across this before, and if so, what did you do to fix it?

The back of the board has weird markings, though it looks like it might be flux residue.

Thanks in advanced!

7 Replies Related Threads

EVGATech_DavidR
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 318
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EVGA Z270 FTW K just died overnight? 2018/08/21 13:56:25 (permalink)
    Hello,

A board not powering on could be several things. I have seen a board not power on out of the box and require several CMOS resets to get going. I would recommend removing power from the PSU and pressing the power button on the board itself or the case, to drain an residual energy stored in the capacitors of the PSU and motherboard. Once you have done that, clear the CMOS, using the clear button several times (about 5-10 times). Once you have done that, reconnect power to the PSU and see if you can get it to start. If it's still giving you issues, try removing any non-essential components (Graphics Card, Storage devices, USB Devices, additional RAM sticks, etc.) and try powering it on again. If all else fails and you have not yet taken the board our of the case, remove all front panel connectors and remove the board from the case, testing it on a non-conductive surface, like cardboard or wood. If continue to have issues with the board not powering on, feel free to contact out support team, directly at Support@evga.com or by calling our toll free number 888-881-3842.
    post edited by EVGATech_DavidR - 2018/08/21 14:59:05
    TheMadDutchDude
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Z270 FTW K just died overnight? 2018/08/21 14:53:12 (permalink)
    It's a really weird one. I have tried all of the above, but this is what actually ends up happening:

I just changed PSU and it booted - though it proceeded to give me the D7 error, which is a CMOS checksum failure.

I powered it off to download the latest BIOS file on my other desktop, and now it no longer comes on.

It seems that leaving it unplugged for 10 mins or so seems to settle it, and allows it to boot again. I'll update with further finds later, as I get them.

Thank you for your prompt response, David. :)
    TheMadDutchDude
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Z270 FTW K just died overnight? 2018/08/21 18:00:21 (permalink)
    Okay, so I've managed to get it to boot and I have updated the BIOS to v1.07.

In doing so, I've noticed something really bizarre. If I put any pressure on to the CPU, besides the holding clamp (or whatever that thing is called!) itself on the motherboard, it will immediately shut down.

Now, to my understanding, that can be one of two things. 1) my CPU is ever so slightly bent and no longer making full contact with all of the pins, or 2) there's something wrong with the socket. I really hope it is just the CPU and not the motherboard...

Any helpful tips? I can't even mount my cooler as any sort of pressure kicks the chip out of activity.

Thank you!

Edit: I've taken a good look at my CPU, and it appears to be as flat as can be. I sadly do not have another to test the board with.

Edit 2: I did some janky stuff to my test CPU (it's only a Celeron, don't get the pitch forks ready!) and it appears to have solved the issue. I just mounted a stock Intel cooler to the board to put pressure on to the socket, and it booted without issue.

I guess the course of testing 100+ boards has taken its toll on the chip.
    post edited by TheMadDutchDude - 2018/08/21 18:18:15
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: EVGA Z270 FTW K just died overnight? 2018/08/21 19:27:50 (permalink)
    TheMadDutchDude
    Okay, so I've managed to get it to boot and I have updated the BIOS to v1.07.

In doing so, I've noticed something really bizarre. If I put any pressure on to the CPU, besides the holding clamp (or whatever that thing is called!) itself on the motherboard, it will immediately shut down.

Now, to my understanding, that can be one of two things. 1) my CPU is ever so slightly bent and no longer making full contact with all of the pins, or 2) there's something wrong with the socket. I really hope it is just the CPU and not the motherboard...

Any helpful tips? I can't even mount my cooler as any sort of pressure kicks the chip out of activity.

Thank you!

Edit: I've taken a good look at my CPU, and it appears to be as flat as can be. I sadly do not have another to test the board with.

Edit 2: I did some janky stuff to my test CPU (it's only a Celeron, don't get the pitch forks ready!) and it appears to have solved the issue. I just mounted a stock Intel cooler to the board to put pressure on to the socket, and it booted without issue.

I guess the course of testing 100+ boards has taken its toll on the chip.

could be a bad pad on the back of the cpu or any number of other things with it. i would try in a another board or two and see if it does the same, if so the throw it in the bin and get another cpu. the bios checksum error is normal after a clear cmos or bios update, its just telling you that all bios changes are gone and it is defaulted.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    TheMadDutchDude
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Z270 FTW K just died overnight? 2018/08/25 12:42:46 (permalink)
    Well, as weird as this is going to seem...

It was nothing to do with the socket, or the CPU. It was somehow the cardboard box it was sitting on. I am literally dumbfounded as I have never, ever seen that be an issue.

I put the board on an anti-static bag as a final precaution, and the entire issue disappeared. The board behaved as normal.

What in the (removed) happened to that board to make it electrically conductive?! Haha!

Thank you all for your help. I think I need to hang around this forum more often. :)

Inappropriate Language removed by Cool GTX, per TOS - using acronyms or censoring the word by use of characters to mask profanity or other inappropriate language will not be tolerated
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2018/08/25 14:54:39
    JacobB
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 522
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: EVGA Z270 FTW K just died overnight? 2018/08/25 13:50:39 (permalink)
    TheMadDutchDude
    Well, as weird as this is going to seem...

It was nothing to do with the socket, or the CPU. It was somehow the cardboard box it was sitting on. I am literally dumbfounded as I have never, ever seen that be an issue.

I put the board on an anti-static bag as a final precaution, and the entire issue disappeared. The board behaved as normal.

What in the (removed) happened to that board to make it electrically conductive?! Haha!

Thank you all for your help. I think I need to hang around this forum more often. :)

Inappropriate Language removed by Cool GTX, per TOS - using acronyms or censoring the word by use of characters to mask profanity or other inappropriate language will not be tolerated

I could only make a guess as to the paint used on the board may have been, in some way, conductive if this is the case (seriously, just a guess and highly unlikely). As strange as it is, this is the first time I've ever seen a cardboard box cause an issue. I am glad to hear it has been resolved however!

-Jacob B.
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2018/08/25 14:59:15
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: EVGA Z270 FTW K just died overnight? 2018/08/26 23:46:59 (permalink)

Yes that was weird. Glad it's resolved though.     

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile