EVGA

*SOLVED* Motherboard has no power after shutting down PC.

Author
CorrodedEpitaph
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/08/20 15:50:56 (permalink)
*SOLVED* I finally figured it out. A powered USB3.0 hub I had connected must have been back-feeding into the system keeping a capacitor charged (or something), preventing the motherboard or PSU from realizing that it had been shut off. Which is why flicking the power on my power bar worked to restart the system and physically unplugging the PSU did not. (the USB hub was plugged into that, so disrupting the power allowed the system to drain.) Now that I've disconnected the power from that hub, everything shuts down and boots up as it should.

Hello, I am running into an issue that I'm having trouble diagnosing.

When my PC is shut down, or after saving and exiting the bios, all power is cut to the mother board (no LEDs, power button doesn't work, no post, no codes, no fans).
- Ran PSU self checker while the issue was occurring, and the fans powered up (molex powered).
- Resetting CMOS did nothing
- Double checked all cables and connections
- System runs excellent when it's on, under artificial load or gaming, temps are low and is very stable
- Resetting the PC from windows works fine, issue only occurs when using shutdown, or saving/exiting the BIOS
Unplugging the PSU and plugging it back in does nothing. Moving the PSU plug to a different outlet does nothing (bypassing the power bar).
Here is where it gets weird, if I cycle the power to my power bar while the PSU is plugged into it, the motherboard lights up and I can turn the PC on normally :|.

It 'seems' like an issue with the PSU (not 100% sure yet), as though it is triggering a safety lock-out or something when powered off. Any ideas on how I can further diagnose? I only have a short period left on my return policy before I'd have to resort to a warranty claim.

Specs:
Ryzen 2600X with a EVGA CLC 120 AIO
ASRock x470 master sli/ac (bios 1.40)
Team Dark Pro 2x8GB 3200mhz CL14 b-die
SuperNOVA 650 G1+ PSU
EVGA GTX 1080
post edited by CorrodedEpitaph - 2018/08/20 20:56:40

7 Replies Related Threads

_JoseR
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 826
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Motherboard has no power after shutting down PC (no post, no power button, no fans). 2018/08/20 20:52:25 (permalink)
    I would also test without the graphics card plugged in the system and maybe even plug the power supply directly to the wall to eliminate all possible points of failure along the current. 
    CorrodedEpitaph
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Motherboard has no power after shutting down PC (no post, no power button, no fans). 2018/08/20 20:57:33 (permalink)
    I just figured it out, what a silly cause it was. Updated my OP. :)
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30974
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Motherboard has no power after shutting down PC (no post, no power button, no fans). 2018/08/20 21:09:15 (permalink)

Not the first time that has caused an issue.

One member posted his LED lights never went Off, even after unplugging the PSU. 

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

_JoseR
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 826
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Motherboard has no power after shutting down PC (no post, no power button, no fans). 2018/08/20 21:22:29 (permalink)
    Wow! always the thing you least expect but glad you were able to figure it out. 
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Motherboard has no power after shutting down PC (no post, no power button, no fans). 2018/08/20 22:43:13 (permalink)

Glad you got it solved.     

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Motherboard has no power after shutting down PC (no post, no power button, no fans). 2018/08/21 10:56:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting your solution. That's a bit silly, but at least you have solved it. 
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Motherboard has no power after shutting down PC (no post, no power button, no fans). 2018/08/21 11:21:40 (permalink)
    If there's a setting in the BIOS Power Options called "ErP Mode" (Energy-related Products) as there probably is with motherboards manufactured in recent history, enable that..ErP Mode being disabled will keep USB ports powered on/active even after shutdown..ErP Mode is most likely disabled by default..The downside is that you probably won't be able to wake from Sleep or Hibernation using the keyboard/mouse.

Just a thought here.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile