Problems with GTX 780 ti

Author
lukecanna
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/06/24 23:03:24 (permalink)
Hi forums,
i recently purchased a computer (secondhand) and i am having issues with my gpu. Initially it would crash the card and i could still hear sound but my screens wouldnt work or sometimes one of my screens would go blue and i couldnt hear anything (i have 2 screens). 
Now i have underclocked my gpu using afterburner and i have done a clean install of the 347.88 driver (which i thought was stable) now my pc has fps drop spikes in game and just crashes the whole computer.
Please help! 
Also gpu temps do not go above 80c

PC SPECS:
i5 3570K
P67A-UD3R B3
GTX 780Ti EVGA SC
16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 Samsung
128GB Toshiba SSD
2TB Seagate Barracuda
Fractal Design R4 Silent
Corsair GS800 80Plus Bronze

Attached Image(s)

7 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Problems with GTX 780 ti 2018/06/25 13:07:34 (permalink)
    How old is your psu? What happens when you underclock the core & memory to max negative?
    princemoga
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Problems with GTX 780 ti 2018/07/22 11:03:03 (permalink)
    Sometimes, while gaming or Unigine benchmarking... and sometimes just on the desktop, I get "blue screens" or "GPU stopped responding" messages It was a very frustrating experience. Tutuapp 9apps Showbox.. in the end, i had to buy an extra powerful PSU, and mount everything on another case to troubleshoot the problem. 

Prince Moga 

Mrtechnologist2u
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Problems with GTX 780 ti 2018/08/16 07:44:43 (permalink)
    I have 2 GTX 780 Ti classified cards with SLI bridge mounted in full sized tower case

I had the exact same problems when playing high demand games (ie. Fallout 4, assassins creed Origins.)  They were both played in ultra mode with the card in default mode.  The card would reach temps of 80 degrees C. and while fail times were different it would always crash.

Ran tests, performed updates, no change
    I opened the case to do visual check.
    Rear fan blade had failed and was sitting on PSU.

Removed failed card and am running on remaining graphics card.

Waiting to hear from EVGA about the matter.

ASUS Prime H270-Pro MB
    i5 -7400 CPU @ 3GHz
    16 GB Ram
    windows 7 64 bit OS
    850 W  modular X4 PSU
     NVMe Samsung SSD 960 drive 500MB c: drive
    ST1000DM003-9yn162 !TB HDD e: drive

post edited by Mrtechnologist2u - 2018/08/16 07:57:22

Mrtechnologist2u

ASUS Prime H270-Pro MB
    i5 -7400 CPU @ 3GHz
    16 GB Ram
    windows 7 64 bit OS
    2x GTX Ti dual Bios 780 Ti classified w/SLI  bridge
    850 W  modular X4 PSU
    ST1000DM003-9yn162 1TB HDD e: drive

Mrtechnologist2u
    Re: Problems with GTX 780 ti 2018/08/16 12:09:31 (permalink)
    Solved my fan issue!

The blade just lifted out. Actually fell out while running.

I just unscrewed the defective fan motor assembly by removing the 3 screws
    I flipped over the fan motor and carefully removed the sticker covering the back of the motor.
    A small thin white washer stuck to the tape.  I removed it and cleaned it and put it aside.
    The bearing was removed  by just gently pushing on it.  I cleaned the old crappy grease/oil on the bearing, spring and fan shaft.
    Lubricated all with a drop of fine, low friction oil.  I used oil from my turntable kit.  Sewing machine oil should work as well. 
    Do not clean with solvent like WD 40 without oiling afterwards.  Solvent cleaners have little or NO lubrication qualities.
    Especially at the  speeds these fans run at!

Replace the clean and oiled spring and bearing on the fan shaft.  Insert into the fan motor assembly.  Now place the small white washer on the end of the shaft.
    Using 2 small flat screwdrivers push the washer down over the shaft until it seats in the thin groove on the end of the fan blade shaft.
    Replace the sticker over the back of the fan assembly. 
    re-install the fan assembly and secure with the 3 screws

Works like a charm now.

I would think this would be good thing to do for any fan that is sticking or even for preventative care.
    You would not believe how thick and hard old oil can get!

Mrtechnologist2u

ASUS Prime H270-Pro MB
    i5 -7400 CPU @ 3GHz
    16 GB Ram
    windows 7 64 bit OS
    850 W  modular X4 PSU

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102250
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Problems with GTX 780 ti 2018/08/18 05:03:35 (permalink)
    Mrtechnologist2u
    Solved my fan issue!

The blade just lifted out. Actually fell out while running.

I just unscrewed the defective fan motor assembly by removing the 3 screws
    I flipped over the fan motor and carefully removed the sticker covering the back of the motor.
    A small thin white washer stuck to the tape.  I removed it and cleaned it and put it aside.
    The bearing was removed  by just gently pushing on it.  I cleaned the old crappy grease/oil on the bearing, spring and fan shaft.
    Lubricated all with a drop of fine, low friction oil.  I used oil from my turntable kit.  Sewing machine oil should work as well. 
    Do not clean with solvent like WD 40 without oiling afterwards.  Solvent cleaners have little or NO lubrication qualities.
    Especially at the  speeds these fans run at!

Replace the clean and oiled spring and bearing on the fan shaft.  Insert into the fan motor assembly.  Now place the small white washer on the end of the shaft.
    Using 2 small flat screwdrivers push the washer down over the shaft until it seats in the thin groove on the end of the fan blade shaft.
    Replace the sticker over the back of the fan assembly. 
    re-install the fan assembly and secure with the 3 screws

Works like a charm now.

I would think this would be good thing to do for any fan that is sticking or even for preventative care.
    You would not believe how thick and hard old oil can get!

A very interesting solution so thanks for sharing

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30974
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Problems with GTX 780 ti 2018/08/18 11:05:49 (permalink)
    Just remember as it heats up "oil" may drip from the fan assembly - the grease used is long life & temperature correct

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Mrtechnologist2u
    Re: Problems with GTX 780 ti 2018/08/20 08:51:24 (permalink)
    Respectfully:  My concern is that if the grease used for the fan is so correct why do I read about so many fanoverheating  issues.
    regarding evga cards? The grease in my case was caked on

The GTX 780 Ti Dual Bios CLASSIFIED card (x2 in my case)  is a "WARM" card when running full out!)

ie:  Fan blades sticking
          fan blade separation
          card overheating and blade assembly just pulls out.
    The only response I had from EVGA was they don't offer any support for fan issues unless the card is in warranty.

You would have thought they could have offered a fix for me other buy another card!

These cards were/are an expensive card to buy, and to replace them even more so.  I was disappointed in their response.
    If the washers are an issue, replacements would not be an expensive item to offer as spares or replacement even if replacement fans are not available.
    Perhaps even offer little tiny appropriate packets of grease or oil to do preventative  maintenance.
    I could even fabricate my own retaining washer, out PE or even brass shim stock, if they had given me the dimensions.

This was an easy fix taking 5 minutes of my time after not getting any help from EVGA.  Anyone with a jeweler's screwdriver set and a pair of tweezers should be able to do this.

Please note: I know I am venting a bit.  Other than this time, I have been very pleased with EVGA and their product and support.  What bothered me so much is how little it would have required from them to assist in this problem.  There is only 1 reason the fan blade can come out of the assembly!

post edited by Mrtechnologist2u - 2018/08/20 08:56:39

Mrtechnologist2u

ASUS Prime H270-Pro MB
    i5 -7400 CPU @ 3GHz
    16 GB Ram
    windows 7 64 bit OS
    850 W  modular X4 PSU

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile