EVGA

looking to buy new gpu has the fan curve problem been fixed?

Author
Prizzo
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/08/19 14:24:18 (permalink)
i am going to buy a gtx 1080 ftw2 Edition (i know the new gpus are coming out i cant afford it) anyway i was just wondering if the fan curve issue was fixed on these cards? saw some people complain about it.

12 Replies Related Threads

Tech_JoseC
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 383
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: looking to buy new gpu has the fan curve problem been fixed? 2018/08/19 14:44:52 (permalink)
    Hello Prizzo and welcome to the forums! 

I am not aware of any fan curve issues that affected the GTX 1080 FTW2 graphics card's, maybe you are referencing a different line of graphics cards? 

But to answer your question, there are no issues with the GTX 1080 FTW2 and will work as intended. If you do buy the graphics card and have any questions regarding its operation you are more than welcome to contact our customer service team at support@evga.com or give us a call at our 24/7 customer service line at 1.888.881.3842. 

-Jose C.
    Prizzo
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: looking to buy new gpu has the fan curve problem been fixed? 2018/08/19 14:53:27 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JoseC
    Hello Prizzo and welcome to the forums! 

I am not aware of any fan curve issues that affected the GTX 1080 FTW2 graphics card's, maybe you are referencing a different line of graphics cards? 

But to answer your question, there are no issues with the GTX 1080 FTW2 and will work as intended. If you do buy the graphics card and have any questions regarding its operation you are more than welcome to contact our customer service team at  or give us a call at our 24/7 customer service line at 1.888.881.3842. 

-Jose C.

it was the first comment on this video  i wasnt sure what he was talking about and didn't know if it was a major video.
    SimplyDimi
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re: looking to buy new gpu has the fan curve problem been fixed? 2018/08/19 17:40:01 (permalink)
    Prizzo
    i am going to buy a gtx 1080 ftw2 Edition (i know the new gpus are coming out i cant afford it) anyway i was just wondering if the fan curve issue was fixed on these cards? saw some people complain about it.

Are you talking about the issue where if u use msi afterburner it won’t control the second fan? I’m not sure if the ftw2 is affected but if you read it is then the answer is no, it’s not fixed. You need to run precision xoc to control the fans properly since msi afterburner only controls the diode fan on the sc2/ftw3. Not sure if the ftw2 has the same issue.
    Hope this helps
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: looking to buy new gpu has the fan curve problem been fixed? 2018/08/19 18:18:17 (permalink)
    I think the techs answer is the best that as a tech he isn’t seeing a report of problems with the fan curve. MSI though could have problems EVGA support doesn’t hear about though so it would be best to check if they fixed the issue before buying.... or just buy EVGA since tech support answers questions onrje forums quickly.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: looking to buy new gpu has the fan curve problem been fixed? 2018/08/19 18:22:19 (permalink)
    I am thinking that the Real Issue is not the Hardware but the Software PXOC that the OP see reading and seeing.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

SimplyDimi
    Re: looking to buy new gpu has the fan curve problem been fixed? 2018/08/19 19:03:50 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    I think the techs answer is the best that as a tech he isn’t seeing a report of problems with the fan curve. MSI though could have problems EVGA support doesn’t hear about though so it would be best to check if they fixed the issue before buying.... or just buy EVGA since tech support answers questions onrje forums quickly.

Uh...he didn’t say he had an msi card lol.. he’s asking about the ftw2 which IS an evga card. And evga cards have had an issue with msi afterburner controlling their fans (this generation)
    Basically ur forced to use PXOC to control all the fans on certain evga cards.
    Regardless of if the tech has heard of fan curve issues, this issue is well known in the community and can be found in countless posts on here and on reddit.
    I’ve gone through a 1080ti sc2 and 2 1080ti ftw3’s, msi afterburner is unable to control the the power/mem fans and will only control the gpu diode fan.
    post edited by SimplyDimi - 2018/08/19 19:08:36
    _JeffP
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 652
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: looking to buy new gpu has the fan curve problem been fixed? 2018/08/19 21:15:43 (permalink)
    SimplyDimi

Regardless of if the tech has heard of fan curve issues, this issue is well known in the community and can be found in countless posts on here and on reddit.
    I’ve gone through a 1080ti sc2 and 2 1080ti ftw3’s, msi afterburner is unable to control the the power/mem fans and will only control the gpu diode fan.

This isn't an issue with the card; the statement that there are no issues with the card is true and the card works as intended on its own or with the software it has been tested with. 

Everything is security. 
    SimplyDimi
    Re: looking to buy new gpu has the fan curve problem been fixed? 2018/08/19 21:38:36 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JeffP
    SimplyDimi

This isn't an issue with the card; the statement that there are no issues with the card is true and the card works as intended on its own or with the software it has been tested with. 

While I agree there’s nothing wrong with the cards themselves, that wasn’t really the question. The cards fans will work out of the box with default settings but the user asked about “fan curves” specifically, I wouldn’t feel comfortable telling him there’s no issue with creating a CUSTOM fan curve on anything BUT PXOC. (If that’s what he was asking)

I personally would’ve loved to know this information prior to getting these cards, since I hate precision xoc and so do most people apparently. So yes if your cards are the only ones in the market ATM that have fans that cannot be controlled by the MOST USED software when it comes to fan curves, OSD and overclocking. I personally would say yes it is in fact the cards fault.

Oh and I’m just taking a wild guess here but I reckon you guys will throw the asynchronous fan feature that causes this issue out the window with the 20 series cards since I know you guys received a ton of people that complained about it.

Then again I suppose MSI Afterburner is also at fault for not updating their software around EVGA cards with specific needs ;)

Just my opinion though, good luck OP.
    post edited by SimplyDimi - 2018/08/19 21:59:49
    JalenJade
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: looking to buy new gpu has the fan curve problem been fixed? 2018/08/19 22:24:26 (permalink)
    I don't see why anyone would expect competing manufactures to test their stuff to see if it works with their compeditor's products. That's completely unreasonable.
    SimplyDimi
    Re: looking to buy new gpu has the fan curve problem been fixed? 2018/08/19 22:39:43 (permalink)
    JalenJade
    I don't see why anyone would expect competing manufactures to test their stuff to see if it works with their compeditor's products. That's completely unreasonable.

Sure, that’s one way of looking at it.
    The way I see it from a consumer standpoint I’m getting a card that I can only fully ulitilize on a bug-filled, OSD-less and vastly hated software. Even EVGA techs themselves would recommend MSI Afterburner to me in the past for troubleshooting.
    PXOC speaks for itself, just keyword it on /pcmasterace or have a look through these forums, nothing but issues.
    Not like MSI has ever gone out of their way to sabotage it’s own cards based on which software is being used on them.
    (Not that I like MSI anyways, I’ll take evga’s customer service over them any day)
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: looking to buy new gpu has the fan curve problem been fixed? 2018/08/20 08:49:18 (permalink)
    JalenJade

+1

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Cordorb
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 635
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: looking to buy new gpu has the fan curve problem been fixed? 2018/08/20 22:09:14 (permalink)
    So what is the official name of the build in firmware controlled change to the fan speed based on temperature sensors in the card ? 

When I think about "fan curve" it is the user made RPM vs temperature points done by an external program.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile