EVGA

EVGA SC 17 service manual

Author
antitheist69
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/08/18 03:04:13 (permalink)
Is there an evga sc 17 service manual, or how do I disassemble the evga sc 17? 

13 Replies Related Threads

Neutro
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 436
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: EVGA SC 17 service manual 2018/08/18 04:45:28 (permalink)
    Hey,

I guess you want to open it because of the problem you're mentionning here?

https://forums.evga.com/SC17-1070-gsync-laptop-keyboard-and-power-button-suddenly-unresponsive-m2842007.aspx

If your laptop is still under warranty I wouldn't advice you to open it, as if you do something incorrectly you could void your warranty.

As EVGATech_JeffP mentionned, if you have a problem with it and it's still under warranty you should email support@evga.com about your problem!

Have a nice day :)

9900k / EVGA Z370 FTW / 4070 FE / Corsair DDR4 3200 Mhz 16GB / Phanteks P600S / EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 / WD SN850 1 TB / Asus PG248Q - pix
    antitheist69
    Re: EVGA SC 17 service manual 2018/08/18 04:49:12 (permalink)
    Neutro
    Hey,

I guess you want to open it because of the problem you're mentionning here?

https://forums.evga.com/SC17-1070-gsync-laptop-keyboard-and-power-button-suddenly-unresponsive-m2842007.aspx

If your laptop is still under warranty I wouldn't advice you to open it, as if you do something incorrectly you could void your warranty.

As EVGATech_JeffP mentionned, if you have a problem with it and it's still under warranty you should email support@evga.com about your problem!

Have a nice day :)

I was just curious to see how it's done, in case I need to in the future. I also need to know what kind of screwdriver I need for the bottom panel. One of the screws fell out by itself, for some reason. I would like to screw it back in. 
    Neutro
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 436
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: EVGA SC 17 service manual 2018/08/18 05:05:25 (permalink)
    You can see a good review of your laptop here with pictures of it opened to satisfy your curiosity ;)

https://www.notebookcheck.net/EVGA-SC17-GTX-1070-Notebook-Review.184533.0.html

While your laptop is under warranty you'll never have to open it so you should leave him be for the time beeing :)

It would help if you took a picture of the screw and post it here. If it's this kind of screw:

then you would need a Torx screwdriver. Once again dont use it to open your laptop, just put the screw that fell off back :)

9900k / EVGA Z370 FTW / 4070 FE / Corsair DDR4 3200 Mhz 16GB / Phanteks P600S / EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 / WD SN850 1 TB / Asus PG248Q - pix
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA SC 17 service manual 2018/08/18 10:59:40 (permalink)
    No service manual is offered by EVGA in the document section   https://www.evga.com/support/manuals/

The case plastic catches are easy to break

Some screws may be hidden beneath an item

usually T4 or T5 tiny little "star" headed

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    EatSleepAndVR
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: EVGA SC 17 service manual 2018/08/18 12:50:16 (permalink)
    If you don't need to actually do anything (such as upgrading RAM, SSD, HDD, or WIFI), it's generally a bad idea to start digging around.  If you do plan to do this (I've upgraded both the SSD and HDD), it's just unscrewing 12 Phillips Torx screws.  Note that 10 of these screws are exposed and easy to find, but 2 of them are behind two + shaped holes that are under the rubber hinge support/feet.  Once you remove those screws, the entire bottom panel comes loose.

Replacing the HDD, SSD, and RAM is simple at that point; they're all exposed.  I can't remember if the WIFI card is but I think so.  Getting to the parts you mentioned in your other post, however, require you to remove the motherboard.  Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm going to be blunt: if you didn't figure out how to open the laptop, you've probably got no business removing the motherboard to go after other components.  This isn't a judgement of you or your abilities and of course you have the right to do whatever you want to do with your hardware, but I'd strongly recommend against it.  Note: EVGA explicitly states that you'll void your warranty if you remove the motherboard.  I asked.  Also note that, according to recent public statements from the FTC, voiding your warranty just by opening your device isn't legal (so long as you don't damage anything), but you may have to sue EVGA to get them to honor your warranty, which is a hassle you don't need.  Thus, again, I'd recommend against it.

TL;DR: You can open your laptop by removing 10 visible screws and 2 hidden ones.  Do this to upgrade RAM, SSD, HDD, and WIFI.  Don't go deeper by removing the motherboard.

Edit: Apologies; I should have said Torx, not Phillips.  Probably T6, but you should confirm this.
    post edited by EatSleepAndVR - 2018/08/18 20:39:37
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA SC 17 service manual 2018/08/18 14:09:24 (permalink)
    well that answers that  - thanks EatSleepAndVR

BR awarded

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

EatSleepAndVR
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: EVGA SC 17 service manual 2018/08/18 14:15:01 (permalink)
    No worries!  If it's a hardware issue, just send it in under warranty.  First, however, try the following:
    1. Use an external USB keyboard and see if it persists.
    2. Open Notepad and start typing to see what happens to help diagnose exactly what's going on.
    3. Try creating a new user in Windows and see if the issue persists.
    4. Try a safe boot, or possibly uninstalling/reinstalling drivers and/or Windows as a last resort.
    If none of that solves the issue, it's a hardware problem and you really should use your warranty for those.
    antitheist69
    Re: EVGA SC 17 service manual 2018/08/18 18:27:05 (permalink)
    For those of you who have sent it in for repair under warranty, how long does it take to get back to you? It just sucks to not have access to something you use everyday. 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA SC 17 service manual 2018/08/18 18:59:23 (permalink)
    the only things in your control:

1) day of the week you ship it
    2) Shipping service your willing to pay for
    ------------------------------
    "My guestamate"

So if you ship on  Monday with 2nd day service.  EVGA may receive it Wednesday @ the warehouse, but will it happen soon enough to be looked at ? 

It will join the Queue of returns to be inspected. 

If the "tamper" stickers have been moved they will probably take a deeper dive into the laptop

So, Thursday it gets looked at ?  5 business days to "process" --> would mean the Next Wednesday EVGA hands it to the shipper.

Again depends on shipping speed you opt for $$$

Worth the time to call and Ask EVGA what is Normal turnaround once they have received the laptop   https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

If it crosses the boarder - shipped internationally- read this https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2819310

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA SC 17 service manual 2018/08/19 16:54:33 (permalink)
    antitheist69
    For those of you who have sent it in for repair under warranty, how long does it take to get back to you? It just sucks to not have access to something you use everyday. 

"Not have access"? You have access. Full access. You can take every little bit apart and reassemble and legally EVGA cannot deny you warranty coverage ... as long as you don't break or damage any part in the process. It is simply risky and therefore ill-advised. As far as the warranty void sticker on one of the motherboard screws, it has no legal standing in the United States and therefore removing that sticker will not affect the warranty. Again, it is simply ill-advised as it is an awkward and delicate process.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

antitheist69
    Re: EVGA SC 17 service manual 2018/08/19 17:32:44 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    antitheist69

"Not have access"? You have access. Full access. You can take every little bit apart and reassemble and legally EVGA cannot deny you warranty coverage ... as long as you don't break or damage any part in the process. It is simply risky and therefore ill-advised. As far as the warranty void sticker on one of the motherboard screws, it has no legal standing in the United States and therefore removing that sticker will not affect the warranty. Again, it is simply ill-advised as it is an awkward and delicate process.

By not have access I mean when the laptop is off being repaired, not that I can't repair it myself. 
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: EVGA SC 17 service manual 2018/08/19 23:12:37 (permalink)
    antitheist69
    ty_ger07
    antitheist69

By not have access I mean when the laptop is off being repaired, not that I can't repair it myself. 

It's still better to send it back for repair. Not yourself. 

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile