EVGA

EVGA Z370 support of new Intel CPU's (9th gen)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ptaylo10
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA Z370 support of new Intel CPU's (9th gen) 2019/01/03 14:42:03 (permalink)
nate2569
If you don't want to send your board to EVGA in order to update BIOS so that the 9th gen Intel processors work you CAN purchase the Intel Celeron G4900 (about $45 new) to get past POST and update BIOS yourself. After the update, you can reinstall your 9th gen processor.

I appreciate the update. I cannot wait for EVGA Z390 nor get Z370 with updated BIOS. At least the new non-EVGA MOBO will be accompanied with dual EVGA NVidia cards and EVGA PSU.
TheSadClown
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 145
Re: EVGA Z370 support of new Intel CPU's (9th gen) 2019/01/08 09:45:45 (permalink)
Its a real shame I bought this board and a 9900k thinking all would be well and come to find out that I have to go ahead and spend $45 on a celeron to update my bios. EVGA why dont you get back to making good products and knock off the shady marketing you have been doing the last few years. 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31004
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: EVGA Z370 support of new Intel CPU's (9th gen) 2019/01/14 13:50:16 (permalink)
TheSadClown
Its a real shame I bought this board and a 9900k thinking all would be well and come to find out that I have to go ahead and spend $45 on a celeron to update my bios. EVGA why dont you get back to making good products and knock off the shady marketing you have been doing the last few years. 

Needing to update the MB BIOS for newly released CPU is NOT a New issue & Happens with Every Brand of MB 

Contact EVGA support to see what your Options are :  https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

bcoakley
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 116
Re: EVGA Z370 support of new Intel CPU's (9th gen) 2019/01/14 19:09:30 (permalink)
I found even though the Z370 FTW supports the new CPUs, my particular board had serious issues with stability, even with the most recent bios update. I tried a Aorus Master, and CPU is much more stable on that board and requires less voltage. I ordered the Z390 FTW, and I can't wait to try it out and see how it compares to the Master. 

9900k/Gigabyte Master Z390 /EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3

Heatware: Firewalker81
RZTBP
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: EVGA Z370 support of new Intel CPU's (9th gen) 2019/01/15 20:02:52 (permalink)
Don't buy the board if you have 9th generation cpu, I've got 2 that don't work.  Hard bios chips.  Cheap shot support led me to believe that the pins were bent when I thought I had checked 2 evga power supplies, 2 sets of corsair ram, 2 intel cpu.  all out of a Z270 Classified that worked.  I have a real time point of sale at work that is starting to corrupt and the tech support I told I tested with a i9 9900K prompted C, and then tested i5 6600K, not valid, and it wouldn't boot.  So RMA cross to get it fast $280; so bought another from amazon $180.  It booted code 18, I research and maybe this thread, bios.  But the prick at tech send it back and don't have any bent pins or we'll send it back to you.  I have an office of people to get the entire inventory, customers, and employees re-entered if it complete crashes in the mean while.  I don't think I can deal with a prick for support.  I don't have time to study this and do what I do at work and come home and build these computers I expect to be dependable.  It's a **** and if I don't get a new board with right bios, I am out for life with EVGA.  Been here the whole time.  

Business Owner

blaise
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 291
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: EVGA Z370 support of new Intel CPU's (9th gen) 2019/01/16 09:00:19 (permalink)
The "i5 6600k" is a Skylake-S CPU and would only operate in the 170 & 270 series chipsets, not Z370.

If you really wanted to use the i9 9900k, why didn't you purchase EVGA's Z390 FTW? At least it would have guaranteed support for the 9900k out of the box rather than gamble whether the Z370 Classy laying around (for bugger-knows how long) in an Amazon warehouse was going to have a supported BIOS (1.08 or 1.09) installed.

Point-in-check; I purchase a Z370 Classified K a week ago (at a bargain price) for my son to replace a DOA MSI Z370 board and it came with BIOS 1.06 and it had a lower serial number (by 4) than the one I purchased for myself months before. (The e-tailor had only just got the board in stock so I suspect the distributor was simply clearing old inventory with a price sweetener prior to the Z390 Dark's release.)
mrsaturn7085
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA Z370 support of new Intel CPU's (9th gen) 2019/01/20 01:17:38 (permalink)
Ordered a Z370 Micro direct from EVGA on 11/26/19.  Knew about the 9th gen. BIOS update required so I made sure to order direct to avoid the issue of old inventory in an Amazon/Newegg/etc. warehouse.

Guess what happened upon attempting to boot a fresh 9900K this evening?  Post code 18.  This is an absolute joke to not have a direct-ordered part function with the current processor generation without an RMA or $50 expense.

This is actually the second issue I've had to spend money on, too - the M.2 screw + standoff included on the board was sized incorrectly and would not fit a Samsung M.2 drive.  Tech. support sent me another screw set - same problem... so $10 later I've got all the standoffs (low profile + standard height) and screws I'll ever need until the end of time since no one will sell you just one set.

Lastly, the user manual is pretty bad - what's even worse is talking to three people at EVGA tech. support about installing the WiFi card hardware and getting three different answers about the correct order of parts and placement of the insulating washer.

I used to really like EVGA back when the video cards had the lifetime warranty.  I stopped buying the brand for a while when they killed that program off until now, and frankly it's really starting to seem like I made a mistake by giving EVGA another shot...
post edited by mrsaturn7085 - 2019/01/20 01:21:08
mrsaturn7085
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA Z370 support of new Intel CPU's (9th gen) 2019/01/20 19:41:30 (permalink)
Confirmed today by Fry's - board was shipped with 1.07 and needed 1.08+.

...and by confirmed, I mean they sold me a 7th gen processor saying it was the second cheapest 8th gen as the G4900 was out of stock.  Not only was it incompatible and I didn't realize it was Kaby Lake until I got home, it was an open box return item that had thermal paste smeared all over the contacts.

Drove back to Fry's (200 miles of Fry's trips between last night and today) and just said 'screw it', and have them update the BIOS.  Brought the board, USB drive with 1.09 BIOS and paid the $10.  Everything went pretty well for BIOS 1 and BIOS 2 only had a few minor hiccups needing a CMOS reset.  Home stretch, right?  Then the Fry's employee removed the 8th gen i7 he was using and wiped the thermal paste from the latch on the socket, in the process, dragging the loose cloth over the pins and bending 2-3 of them.  I looked at him and said "did you just bend those pins?" and he said "why yes, I did... don't worry, I can fix this" and tried to bend them back into place using tweezers in a poorly lit warehouse with his bare eyes, no magnification at all.  It didn't look right, but I took it anyway and told him to document what he just did on my receipt.

Fixed the last bent pin at home and it fired up with the 9900K... fingers-crossed it's actually functional and not just fooling me at the moment.

Thanks again to EVGA for making this all possible.
RZTBP
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: EVGA Z370 support of new Intel CPU's (9th gen) 2019/01/24 19:40:07 (permalink)
Don't think this was the headline when I wrote mine.  I didn't decide to attack EVGA for it, or not with any employees, or any sustained campaign, but if they don't notice what they did, next man up should.  Got things sitting in the corner and this is the first call out.  Cost me money on the line at work, F the gaming, that's fun and its been life, but it's you and yours alone.  They did me well then and tricked me up with it all on the line this time.  You just can't stand it.  The second board that I had to buy did just fine.  Might try to burn it on test.  Have so much EVGA money in GCards to see HD movies that Nvida doesn't do and I am so far out of it I didn't know.  But they won't see me just take it again the way I was so happy to before.  I don't think I should even try after bumping into that prick @customer.  Just walk away for me, hope u stay, but hope they fire that f***, or u walk too.  They can do better.  How did my thread get here>?>>>???

Business Owner

Rafterman
  • Total Posts : 35
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA Z370 support of new Intel CPU's (9th gen) 2019/01/26 06:21:47 (permalink)
Couple of questions here. Can one of you guys confirm this, please. If I buy an Evga Z370 Classified K and it comes with a bios 1.08 or newer I can install a 9th Gen CPU i7-9700K and the board will boot fine. However if I get a Z370 motherboard with a Bios version 1.07 or older I will need to buy an older CPU to boot the board and update the bios myself before it will boot with the i7-9700k cpu. Finally to Evga, if I buy the Z370 classified K from an Evga website can I request that it comes with the 1.08 or newer bios.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile