Streaming will happen, just a matter of when - EA

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2018/08/08 10:42:14 (permalink)
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-08-07-streaming-will-happen-just-a-matter-of-when-ea

Game streaming to be an unavoidable fact of our lives, replacing traditional consoles and gaming-specific devices with smartphone-based solutions or Smart TV apps. EA believes in the next few years that if bandwidth and latency improve more game streaming will occur and perhaps be an even stronger threat to console gaming.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

3 Replies Related Threads

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Streaming will happen, just a matter of when - EA 2018/08/08 13:48:53 (permalink)
    Game streaming is the ultimate form of DRM and simply terrible for consumers. Technology wise it will also always be inferior to user hardware unless the user doesn't have hardware or has a potato. This brings up the inconvenient truth though that simply paying for the bandwidth is overall more expensive than buying the hardware locally. This idea that bandwidth requirements will stop being an issue is absurd. Technology always advances which means it will always be increasing the demand on bandwidth to catch up. Think higher bitrates, framerates, higher resolutions. It's just going to be cheaper to locally render and display games than to pay somebody to do it on a server for you and then transmit it. Game streaming is being pushed by game publishers as the end game of DRM where users have zero control and rely entirely on publishers allowing them access. This also means publishers hold all the cards regarding how long games live even more so than they already do.

Game streaming can be pushed, but I'm not buying it. I've tried it and it's downside were instantly noticeable and the hypothetical once it becomes the norm are just obvious and damning for consumers for me to ever support.
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Streaming will happen, just a matter of when - EA 2018/08/09 15:00:21 (permalink)
    Streaming in the the U.S. , let alone streaming games is more a pipe dream.
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Streaming will happen, just a matter of when - EA 2018/08/09 20:37:03 (permalink)
    Bad move by EA. They just showed their hand when it comes to strategy for the Origin platform. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile