EVGA

Phantom Doctrine (Cold War era spy game)

Author
fearpoint
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3184
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2018/08/01 19:01:10 (permalink)
Been following this game for awhile. Looks like it's going to be good if you like cold war era spy games and turn based combat.
Release is in 2 weeks for $40

Some notable features include being able to play entirely stealthy, capturing and reprogramming enemy agents(they can do the same to your agents), and no RNG chance to hit rather cover will reduce damage. Can play as 3 different factions: CIA, KGB, Mossad

post edited by fearpoint - 2018/08/01 19:05:14

3 Replies Related Threads

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Phantom Doctrine (Cold War era spy game) 2018/08/08 14:10:50 (permalink)
    Wow, nobody?

Well I'm still hyped. The great vidya drought of 2018 has been rough. I guess nobody plays anything except Fortnite or (insert flavor of the month battle arena game here) any longer. I'm going to keep you guys updated after launch though even if I'm talking to myself. Maybe somebody will be enlightened that good PC games are still being made. 
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Phantom Doctrine (Cold War era spy game) 2018/08/09 08:48:23 (permalink)
    What do you expect, this place isn't what it use to be. More spam than there is user involvement on here anymore.   

It's hard to find games designed for the PC, where the developer doesn't short change the PC gamers to make sure the console gamers doesn't feel like they received the worst version. 

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Phantom Doctrine (Cold War era spy game) 2018/08/14 19:44:19 (permalink)
    Well it released. Played a few hours and like it. Well optimized and I haven't had any performance or visual issues. It's different than most turn based "strategy" games though. Being a small spy cell going up a massive global conspiracy you are always outnumbered and at a disadvantage. This means you don't go guns blazing and expect to survive long because local reinforcements arrive. This is a complex deep game that requires some cognitive ability from players. It's refreshing to once again be treated like an adult with a brain having to figure things out in a video game. The complaints I've been seeing as essentially based around thinking the game is an action call of duty experience and not wanting to learn new game mechanics. I'm beginning to believe many so called PC gamers simply can't handle good games any longer. Fortnitius seems to afflict too many. 

Phantom Doctrine is one of the most ambitious games in recent memory. A sprawling, globe-trotting espionage thriller, nesting deft tactical mechanics in a deep pastiche of everything we love about hard-nosed spy fiction. CreativeForge Games have combined the likes of Commandos and SpycraftSpooks and The Americans, John le Carré and The Falcon AND the Snowman, with the resulting product being the best game I’ve played in a long time. To say this is essential strategy gaming is an understatement.

source: https://www.strategygamer.com/reviews/phantom-doctrine/

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile