EVGA

Best way to mount tempered glass DG-87 Has anyone done this ?

Author
SleepyFilipy
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/08/16 06:24:37 (permalink)
Hi everyone,

Over the last few days I've been considering changing the acrylic on my DG-87 with tempered glass.

The shape is easy enough, however, the fixation method is what's been bugging me. Glueing the tempered glass seems risky due to weight concerns, especially with the glass staying on the inside of the PC. If it were to fall off, gah I don't even want to think about it lol.

So I thought about drilling the side panel and using screws with rubber grommets from another case, but the paint job on the DG seems a little bit flimsy, and I'm worried it might end up cracking due to vibrations, however small, from the drill bit.

My question is, has anyone here done some modding on the DG cases that required drilling/cutting? What was the material reaction? Any issues?

Thanks in advance.
post edited by SleepyFilipy - 2017/08/16 06:31:00

18 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: DG-87 Tempered Glass 2017/08/16 06:29:45 (permalink)
    You may get more helpful responses to your question if you modify your title a little - such as

Best way to mount tempered glass DG-87   Has anyone done this ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

SleepyFilipy
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: DG-87 Tempered Glass 2017/08/16 06:35:11 (permalink)
    Done, thanks for the heads up.

wixard12000
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: DG-87 Tempered Glass 2018/03/22 21:46:20 (permalink)
    Did you ever get the tempered glass mounted?  The acrylic window is the only thing stopping me from buying the DG-8...  Please advise, thanks!
    jackal28
    • Total Posts : 36
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: DG-87 Tempered Glass 2018/06/08 11:08:44 (permalink)
    I am currently building on the DG-86. Only reason I didn't get the 87 is color and I am using a Corsair Commander Pro fan hub due to multiple radiators, pumps, and lights. 86 has all the displays, and the gunmetal looks great.

So to the question. I will probably do the Tempered Glass as I get closer. The piece you would need would be a 15.5" to 16" X 18" of tempered glass. The best place I've found that will also do a nice grey tint is:

A piece of Grey tinted Glass 3/16" almost 5mm thick (thinnest) that side with smoothed edges is around $75 dollars. After all the money I've already spent I'm leaving this for last.

Anyways, also a nice set of chrome/ stainless steal/ etc are about $10 - $20 on Amazon.com.

Finally, as for the metal of the case. It is strong steal. I have drilled and cut and EVGA did not cheap out on the material. Actually snapped the head off of my shears trying to cut through a leftover tiny spur.

Anyways, after digging around inside and outside the case I can only see one real way of doing the upgrade.
    As the acrylic is needed for the door hinges and latch, which has the steal wrapped around it for appearance. Yes, the acrylic is more then just a window, its the whole door, but if you cut out the "windowed" portions and left the surround, you would still have a door that simply looks like steal. Don't forget to torch the edges after cutting out to smooth the acrylic edges.

If you cant drill through glass go to Ace Hardware to get some help. Possibly home depot, but I know Ace will do it for you as they do it with plate glass.

After that just mount the Tempered Glass that you have via your 4 standoffs through the door which will slightly overlap the (currently removed) windowed area.

This is the only way I see it looking good. Hopefully this is helpful. EVGA should seriously offer a little kit with the Glass and the standoffs. They would make a killing. Good luck. 

"Im having INSUFFICIENT MEMORY issues"
    Cordorb
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 635
    Re: DG-87 Tempered Glass 2018/06/10 08:04:55 (permalink)
    I have done a few builds for other people that came over with a Corsair Glass unit - they may offer the mounting and stand-offs as parts.

they do seem to come off easy. But I wanted to use plastic but have to say the glass does look good.

For my own case - I really like the large EVGA with easy open front and back as I am always fiddling with the items inside.

jackal28
    Re: Best way to mount tempered glass DG-87 Has anyone done this ? 2018/06/16 03:24:47 (permalink)
    *UPDATE

ThermalTake P5 sells a tempered glass upgrade kit for their P5 which is 18" x 18" and I do believe it will work for the door. (not %100)

As for the acrylic on the door, it seems to actually be a separate piece then one single piece as I previously stated. the acrylic of the window seems to be attached by qty 9 total 2-5mm tabs, or 3 tabs per side. They may be pop-in, during manufacturing and possibly glued. I really don't want to test the tabs as I am not ready to TGlass upgrade yet and I don't want to break anything.
    Everything is extremely sturdy on this case.
    I managed to mod some of the steel for different radiator setups (2 single 120mm on left( hard pipe connected) and (2x240+1x120 on right). The slight manipulation and drilling I did concludes it is strong steel. 

This case is one of the strongest for a build that I've worked with, and I've been building computers for almost 20 years. 

Side Note: Check out MunkeyMods   for a base acrylic plate. It is a lifesaver in building this thing with 3 loops as it adds a panel on top of the harddrive/ powersupply storage. Then again, you could use less drives then me and put them all on the back. Each drive tray can double as a predrilled pump mount. 

Please post pics if anyone does the glass mod. I will, but it will be down the road. Still putting together the Triple loop build.

Lastly, feel free to PM me with any questions about the case and I'll answer what I can as I'm currently only about 1/2 way through the build. This case is going to make a gorgeous center piece to our fully wall mounted Entertainment center.

Good Luck

jackal28
    Re: Best way to mount tempered glass DG-87 Has anyone done this ? 2018/06/16 03:30:51 (permalink)
    Opps, its the Thermaltake P3 core Tempered Glass Upgrade Kit. Again, build at your own risk and not 100% sure that it will fit. 

jackal28
    Re: DG-87 Tempered Glass 2018/06/16 03:35:58 (permalink)
    The Corsair Glass as 
    Cordorb
    I have done a few builds for other people that came over with a Corsair Glass unit - they may offer the mounting and stand-offs as parts.

they do seem to come off easy. But I wanted to use plastic but have to say the glass does look good.

For my own case - I really like the large EVGA with easy open front and back as I am always fiddling with the items inside.

I think your talking about the Corsair Crystal 460x glass panel, which is closer in specs, but no standoffs or mounts. Thanks

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: DG-87 Tempered Glass 2018/06/24 10:55:45 (permalink)
    wixard12000
    Did you ever get the tempered glass mounted?  The acrylic window is the only thing stopping me from buying the DG-8...  Please advise, thanks!

Acrilic window is not as good as Tempered Glass but it's not bad.
    My is not scratc after 7 years on Obsidian 650D. Only need care and polish with fine cloth.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

jackal28
    Re: Best way to mount tempered glass DG-87 Has anyone done this ? 2018/07/19 08:56:48 (permalink)
    Been a while. Finally found a cheap fix. I accidentaly realized that the View 22 TG Glass fits perfect. Theres no kit, but the case is 59 on Newegg.com. The only thing is that the Black edging is differently sized on each side. Kind of weird looking for a centered door.
    I just ordered a kit for $19.99 which fits right within specs of the door. I just have to drill the door at 4 points and cut out the acrylic center. We'll see, buy the dimensions of the glass are just right, hopefully the holes match, but for $19.99 not bad. Its Sharkoon 4mm Tempered Glass Side Panel Kit for AI7000 Glass & DG7000 Glass ATX PC CASE. Not saying it will fit for sure yet, but 17.5 by 16.5 with the nice black edging seems just about right. Happy modding.

jackal28
    Re: Best way to mount tempered glass DG-87 Has anyone done this ? 2018/08/03 22:41:40 (permalink)
    The sharkoon I mentioned does fit and runs 19.99 on newegg.com. Now I have to figure out how to cut out the window from the rest of the door. If anyone has done this or has any ideas please let me know. Its cutting a rectangle out of the center of another rectangle. I've looked into laser cutting, but the shop I called wanted $205 to do it, and there is no way I'm spending that. My build is almost complete. Super excited.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Best way to mount tempered glass DG-87 Has anyone done this ? 2018/08/04 05:08:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for the update and posting your results --- it will help other Forum members

BR awarded

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

AngryAce
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 867
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Best way to mount tempered glass DG-87 Has anyone done this ? 2018/08/06 13:56:28 (permalink)
    jackal28
    The sharkoon I mentioned does fit and runs 19.99 on newegg.com. Now I have to figure out how to cut out the window from the rest of the door. If anyone has done this or has any ideas please let me know. Its cutting a rectangle out of the center of another rectangle. I've looked into laser cutting, but the shop I called wanted $205 to do it, and there is no way I'm spending that. My build is almost complete. Super excited.

$200 bucks? I'd do it for free if we lived near each other or at least get me a sharkoon  :D

jackal28
    Re: Best way to mount tempered glass DG-87 Has anyone done this ? 2018/08/26 23:17:24 (permalink)
    Here is a link of the panel I bought:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAGV61R5393&cm_re=AI7000-_-9SIAAGV61R5393-_-Product
    Im thinking a dremmel with a lot of patients to cut the acrylic, but well, maybe scorring and then a dremmel...I'll let you know when I do it, but I have the glass and its a good match.

jackal28
    Re: Best way to mount tempered glass DG-87 Has anyone done this ? 2018/10/05 00:11:37 (permalink)
    Finally conquered my fears and did it. I love it.

CMike24539
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: Best way to mount tempered glass DG-87 Has anyone done this ? 2018/10/05 21:41:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing! I may do that with my case as well. Did the dremmel work well for you?
    jackal28
    Re: Best way to mount tempered glass DG-87 Has anyone done this ? 2018/10/07 19:17:16 (permalink)
    I burnt through about 3 plastic dremel cutting bits, but it does melt the plastic. I won't lie, the revmoval is far from easy, and once its cut, its still glued to the metal on the inside slightly. The way I did it was cut around the outer edge of the window (there's a pretty good line to follow), and then I cut a X from corner to corner so that I could break out one triangle at a time. I also used a flat head screw driver to ply away the acylic from the metal after it was cut. You just have to be very careful and don't rush it as you don't want to bend the metal which is extremely flimsy (W/O the acrylic window) until you get the glass put in, and I measured and checked my math about 6 times over before I actually drilled. Obviously, everything at your own ris:}.

NocOne
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Best way to mount tempered glass DG-87 Has anyone done this ? 2018/10/22 22:20:03 (permalink)
    I wish every case had the temp display like that.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile