Fan Hitting Shroud on 1080ti Hybrid Cooler Kit

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: Fan Hitting Shroud on 1080ti Hybrid Cooler Kit 2018/06/28 08:53:25 (permalink)
I didn't have any issues with the screws for the vrm heatsink, but my card has a backplate. I did have to tighten up the screws that hold the fan onto the vrm heatsink. The fan would hit the shroud if I turned the speed up on it. Tightening the fan screws fixed it.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Fan Hitting Shroud on 1080ti Hybrid Cooler Kit 2018/07/08 22:36:50 (permalink)
Coeman3
Hi all,

I just converted my Founders Edition 1080Ti and this kit is ACE. Now able to hold 2000MHz at 100% load. Instead of throttling to 1600 when not even close to 100% load.

HOWEVER. When installing the kit I noticed the MOS-FET heat-sink (VRM fan thing) was not seating correctly. With the 3 #13 screws as stated in the install guide fully tightened there was a visible air gap between the thermal pads and PCB components.
I double checked and triple checked and yeh, it wasn't going to fit.

So I took the 3 #13 screws and removed the collar with a Dremel (very carefully) and finished with a set of small metal files. Effectively turning them into #14 screws as shown in the install guide.
This allows me to tighten down the heat-sink and get a proper mount of thermal pad to components. However, as there is now no collar to set the height don't tighten too much as you will just keep increasing the clamping load until something breaks. Pretty simple though.

Kit is now in and no fan rubbing issue. Which to me seems could be due to the VRM heat-sink not seating correctly.

I have just buzzed off an e-mail to EVGA about this but it seems very late in  the product cycle for them to fix?

Anyone hope this helps some people.

Cheers.
Coe.

Yes indeed, this is still a major foul up with this kit that, because I ordered two, was able to cannablize a brand new one for the #14 screws. I could have done the dremel route but...nope...they can send me the screws to put the other kit back together. The unit I got, has a date code of June of this year. So it was just made and the instructions and the parts are still wrong.

July 10
Edit... Just to follow up on this and be fair to EVGA. I did contact them and they are sending another set of the "#14" screws to put back into the brand new unused kit. The issue with the PWM fan was solved by removing the GPU, loosening the fan screws and recentering the fan. It is now good and has clearance at all speeds. The problem is the fit is so tight that it is a matter of luck if you have this issue or not and you won't know until you test it.  I'm sure they won't redesign for this. But if you use the correct screws (#13 without the shoulder) and center the fan properly, it will work...it just could be a bit easier.
Also I really tried to impress with the tech on the phone that the use of those screws leaving the PWM block basically just being held by the thermal pads is unacceptable. It actually lifts nearly 6mm OFF of the MOSFETS with the slightest pressure...because...as I said, the only thing holding it from rocking on the loose mount screws is thermal pad stickyness. Unacceptable.
This is the problem and the EVGA tech I spoke to, has seen this image. Add the screws, correct the manual, Profit!

post edited by HeavyHemi - 2018/07/10 14:15:35

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

WU2016
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Fan Hitting Shroud on 1080ti Hybrid Cooler Kit 2018/07/12 10:26:28 (permalink)
Hello everyone:

I received my GTX 1080Ti SC Hybrid Kit on 10th/July/2018, I am lucky enough to meet almost all the problem described in the thread, and a little extra, EVGA Has NOT corrected any problem described earlier in this thread, the 2018 product is exactly the same as the one from day one.

Problem 1, Upon unboxing the new kit, I found that one of the piece of the Plastic fan shroud was broken, EVGA uses the fan shroud as a tray to hold the VRM heastink unit and the VRAM heat spreader plate in the packaging, The Plastic piece next the fan window might be knocked off during transportation. I circled it in Red in this Photo (I used bcavnaugh's Photo),
See Photo Link: imgur.com/a/hkFTuin
Since I didn't think that piece was an important part so no thought of RMA and I just glued it back nicely before the installation, and obviously I didn't realize that was not the only problem.

Problem 2: Yes, The Standoff screws (#13 in the Manual) for the VRM Heatsink were not designed properly and the whole VRM heatsink unit were loose from the PCB.

Problem 3: And oops, Same as what happened to Member: MonitorHunter (post #14), I stripped one of the #13 screw off, but not by trying to tighten it, it broke when i tried to release it . See Photo Link: imgur.com/a/tw5R1Bg

Problem 4: And Yes, Same as the other owners in the thread, the Fan hits the right side of the shroud when the speed reach 80% and above .

I gonna RMA this UNIT now, will report back what follows up.
post edited by WU2016 - 2018/07/12 10:33:21
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Fan Hitting Shroud on 1080ti Hybrid Cooler Kit 2018/07/15 16:38:19 (permalink)
WU2016
Hello everyone:

I received my GTX 1080Ti SC Hybrid Kit on 10th/July/2018, I am lucky enough to meet almost all the problem described in the thread, and a little extra, EVGA Has NOT corrected any problem described earlier in this thread, the 2018 product is exactly the same as the one from day one.

Problem 1, Upon unboxing the new kit, I found that one of the piece of the Plastic fan shroud was broken, EVGA uses the fan shroud as a tray to hold the VRM heastink unit and the VRAM heat spreader plate in the packaging, The Plastic piece next the fan window might be knocked off during transportation. I circled it in Red in this Photo (I used bcavnaugh's Photo),
Since I didn't think that piece was an important part so no thought of RMA and I just glued it back nicely before the installation, and obviously I didn't realize that was not the only problem.

Problem 2: Yes, The Standoff screws (#13 in the Manual) for the VRM Heatsink were not designed properly and the whole VRM heatsink unit were loose from the PCB.

Problem 3: And oops, Same as what happened to Member: MonitorHunter (post #14), I stripped one of the #13 screw off, but not by trying to tighten it, it broke when i tried to release it . See Photo Link: imgur.com/a/tw5R1Bg

Problem 4: And Yes, Same as the other owners in the thread, the Fan hits the right side of the shroud when the speed reach 80% and above .

Odds are this is going to be an EOL product shortly.  I don't expect them to fix it now. But as there are still quite a few folks getting these kits the issue needs to be kept alive so others do not get bit.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

HaywireHaywood
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 860
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Fan Hitting Shroud on 1080ti Hybrid Cooler Kit 2018/07/15 16:43:17 (permalink)
So the shoulders of the standoffs come through the board so the nut bottoms out without pulling the PWM block down tight.  Am I getting that right?

Heatware Affiliate code: QLF0RY1CK9
lokicat
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Fan Hitting Shroud on 1080ti Hybrid Cooler Kit 2018/07/19 20:16:56 (permalink)
Thanks for this thread! I reached out to eVGA support and will getting extra #14 standoffs to use on the VRM heatsink/fan assembly. Right now I'm using the #6 screws that fit flush to the PCB, but of course not able to secure the back plate on top of those 3 holes. It's probably fine to stay this way, but once I get the #14 standoffs, I will use those. Since neither #14 or #6 have any limit on how tight you can go, you have to be careful not to do too much where the PCB starts to bend but also no visible gaps between components and the thermal pads.

I am using this on a Titan Xp and this is the only problem. Performance is fantastic both boost clocks and temps. Max is 50 C running Furmark and fan stays below 30%. Also ran the fan at 100% manually for 24 hours and no fans hitting the shroud.
MILLOCRACY
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Fan Hitting Shroud on 1080ti Hybrid Cooler Kit 2018/08/08 03:19:37 (permalink)
WU2016
Hello everyone:

Same problem here (1, 2 and 4) I wish I saw this thread before diving in. Though I managed to fixed number 4 by re-centering the vrm fan by loosening the three screws and tightening them up. fan hits shroud at 80% and up fan speed. Only problem left is number 2.  I forgot to say, I used super glue to fix problem number 1.
post edited by MILLOCRACY - 2018/08/08 03:23:01
pmo24
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Fan Hitting Shroud on 1080ti Hybrid Cooler Kit 2018/08/30 01:05:00 (permalink)
Just installed 2 of them on 1080 it SC black, both fans hitting the shroud on the right side as others have said once turned upside down and fans are going at 80%. During installation, the fans were perfectly aligned and spinning freely by hand. But once they were installed on the PC, friction. I attached the radiator fan and gpu fan to my motherboard so I can control fan speeds to limit this, but I’d like to be able to push the fan more. Temps around 53 C, comparable to others. Tapping on the fan per post #5 works, but with thermal expansion, the card ends up hitting the shroud again. I’m considering dremeling it, but would prefer another workaround first. I do not have any standoff’s on the SC black, so no go on nylon washers. It’s just a constant battle turning on and off the PC to tighten and loosen and “realign” the bearings.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile