EVGA Precision XOC 6.2.6

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
floorpizza
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 161
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: BUG REPORT: EVGA Precision XOC 6.2.6 2018/05/04 11:39:38 (permalink)
scafidmjevga
floorpizza
I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but it sure looks like EVGA went from using a software vendor to develop, test, and release Precision X to developing it in-house. I have quite a bit of experience working in software development... Remember the Y2K bug? I spent 5 years working in the software development/QA department of an airline making sure that bug didn't leave our planes stuck on the ground. So I have a few tips for EVGA, fwiw...

Proper software development needs more than just one guy that can write code.  You guys have proven you don't have this.

Proper software development needs a User Interface designer that has taken many classes on the proper way to design and implement the UI. You guys don't have this, either. The current state of Precision X's and Flow Control's user interface proves this.

Proper software development needs a Development Department Lead. This is the guy that keeps the project on track, managing what features will be implemented, how they will be implemented, and manages the interaction between interface design, coding, quality assurance, the development cycle, etc.

Proper software development needs a Quality Assurance department. These guys are tasked with making sure that the intended features work, mesh correctly with the user interface, and are in charge of testing and the test results. They also keep records of all bugs, and what work has been done toward fixing those bugs. Along with other QA work, these guys write task cards. If you guys aren't using task cards during testing, you're doing it wrong. From what I've seen, you're doing it wrong. Not only are you not using task cards, it appears that you have no QA department at all.

Proper software development needs a Testing Department. These guys are part of the QA department. They are your first line of testers. These guys need to sign off on the software being ready to go to a Live Beta, which consists of more testers than just the testing department. These are the guys that sign off on the task cards when they're completed, too.

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think you can hire a few coders and do this right. You *need* a proper software development department with all the required slots filled. I'm sure that EVGA thought they could do it better and cheaper than outsourcing it to a real software developer. If you haven't learned it yet, you will soon learn that's just not the case. You are in the hardware business. Unless you decide that you're going to go into the software business, you will end up spending far, far less money outsourcing your software needs than attempting to do it in house, as you are (quite obviously) doing now.

If you insist on doing it in house, then you are going to have to hire the people necessary to do it.

The GPU itself is not the graphics card. The graphics card itself consists of many parts, contributed by many people. Software is exactly the same. It's not just one guy, it's a team consisting of people that specialize in each area necessary to produce the product.

You will do your company and your customers a great service by ponying up the cash now, and getting this software developed *correctly*.

Your software in its current condition is horrendously bad. Imagine a guy opening up his brand new EVGA 1080 and finding missing screws, loose screws, loose connectors, bad soldering, LED's that don't light up. Horrifying, right? Well, that's exactly what your customer experiences when he opens up your software. Yes, it is *that* bad.

You need to fix this. And you need to fix it fast.

Hire an experienced, trustworthy software developer and write them a check. Yes, the amount is going to hurt, but it's going to hurt far less than the lost revenue you guys are losing due to your software being the very worst of all the NVIDIA (and Asetek) OEM's. It'll also hurt far less than the salaries you'll need to pay to have a proper in-house development department.

Couldn't agree more, @floorpizza. I manage software releases for a large company and what is happening with EVGA Precision XOC and Flow Control is the kind of stuff that gets people fired. This is atrocious. They could take a small hit on a quarterly business review and pay the guy (again!) that makes Afterburner to add an EVGA skin and add the other monitoring feeds and it will pay dividends compared to the business they are going to lose from how garbage-level the EVGA software currently is. I'm an EVGA fanboy, but right now, Corsair is going to take my AIO cooler business in my next build based on how good iCue is already (still in beta!) compared to FlowControl and I will likely go Corsair for an AIO GPU and use Afterburner or iCue. EVGA, you're a hardware company, please either illustrate you're taking proper software development steps or outsource. I just can't believe how bad the software is right now.

Thanks, man. The only reason I even took the time to write all of that is that I have been an EVGA fanboy for 15 years. I've spent many thousands of dollars on their hardware through the years. Unfortunately, today's EVGA isn't the same as the EVGA of old.

I was very surprised when I hooked up my brand new CLC and couldn't get the software to work. I was even more surprised at the lack of customer service from EVGA when I tried to get answers as to why it wasn't working, possible fixes or work-arounds.

At first, I tried to keep a list of all the Flow Control and Precision X bugs, so that I could help out by reporting them. I gave up. There were just too many.

My CLC is now sitting on the shelf. I've replaced it with a Corsiar AIO. Flow Control in its current state isn't just buggy, it's completely unusable. How EVGA could ever release the CLC to market in good faith with the software that controls it in such a bad state is not the EVGA I knew and loved.

And if I tried to return it, I'd be charged a 15% restocking fee. To return a defective product. I don't have enough hands to facepalm appropriately here.

So with the CLC, EVGA knowingly released a product with defective software, and then are charging a 15% restocking fee to return it. How they can justify charging a customer 15% to return a defective product is just mind boggling, and certainly not something a company I want to do business with would do.

For every customer that takes the time to write these kinds of responses, there are many, many more that just silently walk away. I know that my words will/have fallen on deaf ears, but I had to at least try. I want EVGA to return to the EVGA I knew and loved. But until that day, I have purchased my very last piece of EVGA hardware.

The mods will most likely consider this post to be off topic. But is it really? I don't think so, although the EVGA of today probably will.
post edited by floorpizza - 2018/05/04 11:47:32

MSI x570 MEG ACE
AMD 3900x
EVGA 2080 FTW
32g Micron E-Die
2, 1t Corsair PCI Gen IV NVMe in RAID 0
Various other SSD's and old school mechanical HD's for backup and other shenanigans
Corsair Obsidian 750D case

Kdsamreuang26
  • Total Posts : 37
Re: EVGA Precision XOC 6.2.6 2018/05/05 08:05:53 (permalink)
desini
... Also noticed yesterday my led temps did not change to my card when over 60c. XOC showed green as my temps went to 60c+ but did not show green on my GPU they stayed blue. 1080Ti iCX

I just now noticed this issue also on my 1080ti iCX.
my temp settings are set as +20c - blue, +40c - green, +50 - red
and while gaming a few minutes ago I noticed my GPU temp LEDS were all blue, so I Alt+Tab out to see Precision's window and it was showing the correct colors changing respectively for all three categories (GPU, Power, Memory) which at the time were all green. The physical GPU LEDS however were not changing, it was just Blue.
And I rely on those a lot as I game so I don't have to Alt+Tab out to check my temps.

Just when I though this build finally fixed the issue I cared about the most (Fan Curves) it goes and breaks something else.
:(
CriticalHit_NL
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 404
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: BUG REPORT: EVGA Precision XOC 6.2.6 2018/05/05 12:37:15 (permalink)
turkishcobra
I've noticed a bug first in 6.2.4, which is still there in 6.2.6. When manually adjusting the fan speeds on my 1080Ti FTW3 the slider in the centre ends up controlling the memory fan rather than the power delivery part of the board.

Anyone else noticed this?

To come back on this issue, I've tested Precision XOC 6.2.6.1 BETA and you're right, it is not working as expected.

I believe that the fans are supposed to work in this order from left to right (left being the bracket I/O side):
GPU -> Power -> Memory. (like Thermal LED indicators say G -> P -> M)

Currently the fans work this way: GPU -> Memory -> Power.

Good find. 

Kdsamreuang26
desini
... Also noticed yesterday my led temps did not change to my card when over 60c. XOC showed green as my temps went to 60c+ but did not show green on my GPU they stayed blue. 1080Ti iCX

I just now noticed this issue also on my 1080ti iCX.
my temp settings are set as +20c - blue, +40c - green, +50 - red
and while gaming a few minutes ago I noticed my GPU temp LEDS were all blue, so I Alt+Tab out to see Precision's window and it was showing the correct colors changing respectively for all three categories (GPU, Power, Memory) which at the time were all green. The physical GPU LEDS however were not changing, it was just Blue.
And I rely on those a lot as I game so I don't have to Alt+Tab out to check my temps.

Just when I though this build finally fixed the issue I cared about the most (Fan Curves) it goes and breaks something else.
:(

I think the issue is that the Hardware Thermal LEDs only change based on the following sensors: GPU#1 / Power#4 / Memory#3
Even though Precision XOC may say they should be green, it may not be true on the hardware side.

Precision XOC seems to change the displayed LED temperatures in the main window based by default on the hottest sensor of each category, but the hardware itself doesn't appear do to this.

You can also change to another sensor using left click on the temperatures
If one of the sensors is below or above the threshold you set inside Thermal LED, the LEDs in Precision XOC are also updated based on this.

TL;DR:
Precision XOC window only display Thermal LED colours based on active sensor temperature in software.
Hardware changes Thermal LED colours based on sensors GPU#1 / Power#4 / Memory#3.
post edited by CriticalHit_NL - 2018/05/05 13:40:25

i7 3930K 4.4Ghz - EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 - 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866 - Asus Sabertooth X79 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 860 Pro 2TB - 3x HGST 7K4000 Deskstar 4TB - 3x HGST Ultrastar He10 8TB - Corsair AX1200i - Asus PG279Q + BenQ BL2411 - Razer Viper Mini/SBF98 - Logitech Z906 & G35 - Windows 10 Professional

JustinHEMI
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 886
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA Precision XOC 6.2.6 2018/05/05 22:57:05 (permalink)
Fan control still broken. *SIGH*

| Intel i7 12900KS | Asus Z690 ROG Strix | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 |
| 32gb G Skill DDR5 6000C36 | EVGA SuperNova G6 1000 | 1TB Samsung 980/970 M.2s | 
Sennheiser DAC/AMP | Fractal Design Torrent | Arctic Liquid Freezer 420 | Asus PG278QR |
Sennheiser HD660s | Asus ROG Strix TKL | Logitech G502 Lightspeed |

Kdsamreuang26
Re: BUG REPORT: EVGA Precision XOC 6.2.6 2018/05/05 23:26:16 (permalink)
(This post is being heavily edited because I've misinterpreted some info and wrote a wall of text under the wrong assumptions)

desini

CriticalHit_NL
I think the issue is that the Hardware Thermal LEDs only change based on the following sensors: GPU#1 / Power#4 / Memory#3
Even though Precision XOC may say they should be green, it may not be true on the hardware side.

Precision XOC seems to change the displayed LED temperatures in the main window based by default on the hottest sensor of each category, but the hardware itself doesn't appear do to this.

You can also change to another sensor using left click on the temperatures
If one of the sensors is below or above the threshold you set inside Thermal LED, the LEDs in Precision XOC are also updated based on this.

TL;DR:
Precision XOC window only display Thermal LED colours based on active sensor temperature in software.
Hardware changes Thermal LED colours based on sensors GPU#1 / Power#4 / Memory#3.

Thanks @CriticalHit_NL for looking into this and being able to give a more detailed analysis into whats going on, much appreciated :)
and you're right, the hardware thermal LEDs are using specific sensor probes that are not the same defaults on the software end.
But the issue I'm having is actually the Hardware thermal LEDs are not changing colors regardless of the current GPU temp across the board.
I know this because if I'm putting the GPU under load and I check XOCs main window and sensor map, every sensor probe is showing +40c/+50c, so we should see the Hardware LEDs changing at this point right? but it's not. The problem is they're not updating at all even though every sensor is at a high enough temperature to change colors.
Here's a screenshot I took while I was gaming.
https://imgur.com/EODqbSw
I opened the settings window as well to show what settings I've edited.
With this data (especially the sensor map window), we would presume that at this point the Hardware thermal LEDs should be green by now, but instead it's all still blue.

But here's where things got a lil silly. 
I ran some more tests (now putting the GPU under load with Unigine Superposition) and I found a weird temporary "fix" during all this.
As soon as I clicked the settings gear icon on PXOCs main window (bottom right), the hardware thermal LEDs instantly changed to the correct colors (Green and Red, since my GPU was under load).
And after a few more test runs, this temporary "fix" was consistent.

Weird right? the act of opening the settings window is what triggers the "code" to display the Hardware thermal LED colors correctly.

But the keyword here is "temporary" because it doesn't stick.
As soon as you close PXOC and re-open the program, the hardware thermal LEDs will go back to not working correctly until you open the settings window.
And you don't even need to do anything special with the settings window, you just click it open and you can immediately close it.
It's practically the same silly fix we've had to do with the Fan Curves not activating at boot. 

Let me know if this works for anyone else, or if I'm just late to the party 
hopefully @desini can also confirm if this works since you're the only other one that pointed out this issue that I've seen so far.

TL;DR:
Hardware Thermal LEDs not changing even if all sensors are above high temperatures. Definitely a bug.
Found weird temporary "fix" by just clicking open the settings window in Precision XOC, after that, the Hardware Thermal LEDs should be working as it normally should.
Unfortunately the temporary "fix" will reset after closing the software or doing a system reboot.
post edited by Kdsamreuang26 - 2018/05/06 03:42:41

-- i9 9900KS --
-- EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra (10G-P5-3897-KR) --
-- Corsair LPX 32GB 3200MHz (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16) --
-- Asus ROG Maximus XI Code --
-- Noctua NH-D15 chromax Black --
-- Samsung 970 Pro 512gb --
-- SeaSonic Prime Titanium 850w (SSR-850TD) --
-- Cooler Master - HAF XB EVO (RC-902XB-KKN2) --
-- DEEPCOOL FH-10 Fan Hub --
CriticalHit_NL
iCX Member
Re: BUG REPORT: EVGA Precision XOC 6.2.6 2018/05/06 06:30:38 (permalink)
Kdsamreuang26
But the issue I'm having is actually the Hardware thermal LEDs are not changing colors regardless of the current GPU temp across the board.
I know this because if I'm putting the GPU under load and I check XOCs main window and sensor map, every sensor probe is showing +40c/+50c, so we should see the Hardware LEDs changing at this point right? but it's not. The problem is they're not updating at all even though every sensor is at a high enough temperature to change colors.
Here's a screenshot I took while I was gaming.
https://imgur.com/EODqbSw
I opened the settings window as well to show what settings I've edited.
With this data (especially the sensor map window), we would presume that at this point the Hardware thermal LEDs should be green by now, but instead it's all still blue.

But here's where things got a lil silly. 
I ran some more tests (now putting the GPU under load with Unigine Superposition) and I found a weird temporary "fix" during all this.
As soon as I clicked the settings gear icon on PXOCs main window (bottom right), the hardware thermal LEDs instantly changed to the correct colors (Green and Red, since my GPU was under load).
And after a few more test runs, this temporary "fix" was consistent.

Weird right? the act of opening the settings window is what triggers the "code" to display the Hardware thermal LED colors correctly.

But the keyword here is "temporary" because it doesn't stick.
As soon as you close PXOC and re-open the program, the hardware thermal LEDs will go back to not working correctly until you open the settings window.
And you don't even need to do anything special with the settings window, you just click it open and you can immediately close it.
It's practically the same silly fix we've had to do with the Fan Curves not activating at boot. 

Let me know if this works for anyone else, or if I'm just late to the party 
hopefully @desini can also confirm if this works since you're the only other one that pointed out this issue that I've seen so far.

TL;DR:
Hardware Thermal LEDs not changing even if all sensors are above high temperatures. Definitely a bug.
Found weird temporary "fix" by just clicking open the settings window in Precision XOC, after that, the Hardware Thermal LEDs should be working as it normally should.
Unfortunately the temporary "fix" will reset after closing the software or doing a system reboot.

This is interesting.
Previously there was an issue that fans wouldn't kick in unless you opened settings once.
Not sure anymore if that was only after switching the skin or also after starting Precision XOC.

I'll try this out.

Update:
I can reproduce this issue, I'll add it as an issue in 6.2.6.1 BETA topic.
I find it a little bit weird either way that opening the settings menu the first time has a longer delay.

If Precision XOC is closed it likely is following the default Thermal LED temperature thresholds configured in the firmware.
These thresholds are likely based on the default Precision XOC settings for Thermal LED, but I haven't checked this.
It's a little bit warm over here right now so I keep the GPU cold.
post edited by CriticalHit_NL - 2018/05/06 06:49:54

i7 3930K 4.4Ghz - EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 - 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866 - Asus Sabertooth X79 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 860 Pro 2TB - 3x HGST 7K4000 Deskstar 4TB - 3x HGST Ultrastar He10 8TB - Corsair AX1200i - Asus PG279Q + BenQ BL2411 - Razer Viper Mini/SBF98 - Logitech Z906 & G35 - Windows 10 Professional

Kdsamreuang26
Re: BUG REPORT: EVGA Precision XOC 6.2.6 2018/05/06 06:59:03 (permalink)
CriticalHit_NL

This is interesting.
Previously there was an issue that fans wouldn't kick in unless you opened settings once.
Not sure anymore if that was only after switching the skin or also after starting Precision XOC.

I'll try this out.

Update:
I can reproduce this issue, I'll add it as an issue in 6.2.6.1 BETA topic.
I find it a little bit weird either way that opening the settings menu the first time has a longer delay.

If Precision XOC is closed it likely is following the default Thermal LED temperature thresholds configured in the firmware.
These thresholds are likely based on the default Precision XOC settings for Thermal LED, but I haven't checked this.
It's a little bit warm over here right now so I keep the GPU cold.

oh yeah I forgot to add that lil info but yes, the very first opening of the settings window has a long delay on my end as well.
Thanks for passing this issue over to the other thread. I should probably try out that Beta as well to help test things out.

-- i9 9900KS --
-- EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra (10G-P5-3897-KR) --
-- Corsair LPX 32GB 3200MHz (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16) --
-- Asus ROG Maximus XI Code --
-- Noctua NH-D15 chromax Black --
-- Samsung 970 Pro 512gb --
-- SeaSonic Prime Titanium 850w (SSR-850TD) --
-- Cooler Master - HAF XB EVO (RC-902XB-KKN2) --
-- DEEPCOOL FH-10 Fan Hub --
CriticalHit_NL
iCX Member
Re: BUG REPORT: EVGA Precision XOC 6.2.6 2018/05/06 07:31:08 (permalink)
Kdsamreuang26
oh yeah I forgot to add that lil info but yes, the very first opening of the settings window has a long delay on my end as well.
Thanks for passing this issue over to the other thread. I should probably try out that Beta as well to help test things out.

I'd like to add that it appears it doesn't fallback to hardware firmware Thermal LED thresholds either, it doesn't seem to update when Precision XOC is closed.
The green is normally set at 65°C but I have my thresholds set at 50°C
When I close Precision XOC I'd expect them to return to blue, which they don't, even if the temperature drops below 50°C.

Good find. 

BRooDJeRo
  • Total Posts : 35
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA Precision XOC 6.2.6 2018/05/07 15:32:46 (permalink)
It would be nice if there was a default fan profile on the card itself. When dual booting into Linux both fans do not turn at all. When Precission isn't installed there should be an embedded curve at least to protect the hardware.
Also, will the bug that doesn't pick uip the custom fan profile on program startup be addressed in 6.2.6.x? I understand that software can have bugs, but i'm expecting at least safety's for hardware overtemperature protection in place when i look at hom much these cards cost me.

Thank you.

CriticalHit_NL
iCX Member
Re: EVGA Precision XOC 6.2.6 2018/05/07 15:39:15 (permalink)
BRooDJeRo
It would be nice if there was a default fan profile on the card itself. When dual booting into Linux both fans do not turn at all. When Precission isn't installed there should be an embedded curve at least to protect the hardware.
Also, will the bug that doesn't pick uip the custom fan profile on program startup be addressed in 6.2.6.x? I understand that software can have bugs, but i'm expecting at least safety's for hardware overtemperature protection in place when i look at hom much these cards cost me.

Thank you.

Videocards always come with a fan profile which is saved on the hardware.
However you cannot save a custom fan curve to the videocard.
You can however set a static fan speed and close the program which sticks. (but I don't know about complete poweroff)

These days pretty much all videocards are equipped with a silent fan profile that will not let the fans spin when the temperature is low enough to allow this.
It is to prevent unneeded wear on the fans and dust collection.

However I'd not be afraid of the durability used on EVGA's videocards, they use dual-ball bearing fans which are very durable.

And yes, Precision XOC 6.2.6.1 Beta has solved the automatic fan control issues at start-up.

mikec11
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: EVGA Precision XOC 6.2.6 2018/05/08 00:34:36 (permalink)
Wrong thread, sorry.
exilelrrp
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 411
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA Precision XOC 6.2.6 2018/07/15 15:54:30 (permalink)
Where's the OSD option for the new 6.2.7 update?

All I see is GPU/Mem and GPU Temp on OSD in game...How do you add the FPS OSD in game? and the temperature the tray?

>> Never mind I got to figured this out, by clicking buttons. <<
post edited by exilelrrp - 2018/07/15 23:32:23

*Lian Li PC-011D Mini (Black) *i9-10900K *ROG Strix Z490-G *Nzxt Kraken Z73/Lian Li UNI SL120 Series *Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 *Corsair HX1200i *EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ultra FTW3 *Samsung 970 Evo M.2 1TB *Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB *Samsung 840 Evo Series 1TB SSD *Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ *Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB *Corsair Dark Core *Corsair Gaming MM800 *Corsair ST100 *Razer Nari Ultimate.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile