12 day old GTX 1070 SC2 Logo LED stopped working

Author
scgt1
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 826
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2018/07/14 20:54:10 (permalink)
I don't get it. I pulled the card from my Carbide Air 240 and set it on my kitchen counter. Swapped everything over to my new Crystal 280X install the card and fire the box up. No LED logo light on the side. The temp indicators light up (not turned on in below pictures), SC2 lights up, and the heatsink lights light up. Just no logo. I've clicked the LED On in XOC to make it switch to off then clicked it again to turn it on and I have nothing. I checked for newer drivers via Geforce Experience and I'm up to date.

Heatware scgt1
ebay scgt1
EDGE

12 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: 12 day old GTX 1070 SC2 Logo LED stopped working 2018/07/15 00:49:28 (permalink)
    Reseat the card and the PCI-E cables and retry.

I'm giving you a BR because this is such a clean looking build with great RGB effect.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

_JeffP
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 652
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 12 day old GTX 1070 SC2 Logo LED stopped working 2018/07/15 01:03:08 (permalink)
    It's possible the LED header may have come loose from the card being jostled about during uninstall and reinstallation, you should be able to check the headers by looking between the PCB and heatsink around the card. 

Everything is security. 
    scgt1
    SSC Member
    Re: 12 day old GTX 1070 SC2 Logo LED stopped working 2018/07/15 07:09:58 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Reseat the card and the PCI-E cables and retry.

I'm giving you a BR because this is such a clean looking build with great RGB effect.

Hey thanks!
    EVGATech_JeffP
    It's possible the LED header may have come loose from the card being jostled about during uninstall and reinstallation, you should be able to check the headers by looking between the PCB and heatsink around the card. 

Nadda from what I can tell they are all connected. Had the card out this morning and scoped it out. Also tried my best to attempt the P/P on the rad in front again and it's simply just not going to fit with tubes on bottom. Really wish Corsair carried over the 120mm adjustment up top so I could have slide the top fans toward the back of the case and had the P/P with rad in front and tubes up top. Had I noticed the failure in design on this one prior to installing everything but the top fans I would have drilled holes and moved them back myself. I did reverse the top fans though so they pull air in through the rad and that fixed my cpu temp fluctuations at idle (31-54C) Was driving me nuts.

I have noticed XOC is just failing to start with windows no matter how many times I click the box to do so. Maybe the LED issue is software related. Going to run DDU and reinstall.

Heatware scgt1
    ebay scgt1
    EDGE

scgt1
    SSC Member
    Re: 12 day old GTX 1070 SC2 Logo LED stopped working 2018/07/15 08:45:53 (permalink)
    Some seriously screwy stuff going on. Ran DDU to remove the Geforce drivers. Then reinstalled GF Experience and the newest drivers with it. Rebooted. Also reinstalled XOC. I try and open XOC and it shows for about 15 seconds then just disappears. No longer shows in the tray yet is still working in the back ground since I can't reopen it or verify the integrity of files. I have to ctrl alt del then end it manually. I run the Steam scan on the files and it says 1 file has failed and will be grabbed again. Ok great. Then open XOC again for the same thing to happen again. Before I removed both apps and drivers it was staying open until I closed/minimized it. I do notice that it shows LED ON but I have about enough time to click that to turn it off then click it again to turn it back on before it disappears off the screen. So I don't know if the card is the problem with the side logo not lighting up or if it's XOC since it's being whack now. LOL

I've rebooted several times and reinstalled XOC 3 times now for the same problem to keep happening. I guess I'll try the non steam version and see what happens.

Heatware scgt1
    ebay scgt1
    EDGE

scgt1
    SSC Member
    Re: 12 day old GTX 1070 SC2 Logo LED stopped working 2018/07/15 08:52:41 (permalink)
    Just removed the Steam version and installed the standalone. It actually stays open but still no side LED logo other then the SC2. Should the LED ON/OFF control also the white lighting on the fan side of the heatsink? If so those never go off.

Heatware scgt1
    ebay scgt1
    EDGE

scgt1
    SSC Member
    Re: 12 day old GTX 1070 SC2 Logo LED stopped working 2018/07/18 03:39:41 (permalink)
    Guess I'll just return it to Newegg.

Heatware scgt1
    ebay scgt1
    EDGE

Mattukr
    • Total Posts : 64
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: 12 day old GTX 1070 SC2 Logo LED stopped working 2018/07/18 04:30:36 (permalink)
    Firstly, what a beautiful build you have!

Secondly, this kind of thing is actually RMA worthy, have you raised a support ticket mentioning the steps you've taken to try and resolve it? It's possible to do an advanced RMA (you pay the collateral as a deposit until your old unit arrives) but that might be worth it for you?

Anyway, good luck with what you choose!

post edited by Mattukr - 2018/07/18 04:33:59

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
    Mobo: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
    RAM: HyperX Predator 3333Mhz 16GB
    Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVMe, Crucial MX500 500GB, Seagate Firecuda 2TB.
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N
    Case: Thermaltake View 27
    Monitor: Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ
    Power Supply: EVGA GQ Supernova 750W

scgt1
    SSC Member
    Re: 12 day old GTX 1070 SC2 Logo LED stopped working 2018/07/19 02:09:22 (permalink)
    Mattukr

Secondly, this kind of thing is actually RMA worthy, have you raised a support ticket mentioning the steps you've taken to try and resolve it? It's possible to do an advanced RMA (you pay the collateral as a deposit until your old unit arrives) but that might be worth it for you?

I decided to return to Newegg for replacement. I think the turn around would be faster that way.

Heatware scgt1
    ebay scgt1
    EDGE

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: 12 day old GTX 1070 SC2 Logo LED stopped working 2018/07/19 08:45:48 (permalink)
    scgt1
    Mattukr

I decided to return to Newegg for replacement. I think the turn around would be faster that way.

Probably and it's 100% going trough NewEgg that you will get a new GPU. EVGA's warranty no longer guarantees a new GPU even if it is within 30 days of purchase. It now reads as 'best effort' to send a new one and refurbish or refund if not.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: 12 day old GTX 1070 SC2 Logo LED stopped working 2018/07/19 09:22:42 (permalink)
    So you say you swapped pc cases?

Did you make sure you dont have a motherboard standoff in a spot it's not supposed to be and now touching the motherboard? Thet could cause all kinds of crazy stuff to happen.

Also its possable the card is not able to install all the way into the pcie slot in the new case. Check the fit. The i/o slot could be holding it up and all the gold contacts on the card are not making perfect contact

Yeah I know it would be a super pain but I'd remove the motherboard and check.. also run the system out of the case can also test the card if it is a fitment issue.

Also testing the card in the bios on another system would be another quick test method. The lights should turn on outside of windows I believe.. it dont need pxoc.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    scgt1
    SSC Member
    Re: 12 day old GTX 1070 SC2 Logo LED stopped working 2018/07/20 06:08:38 (permalink)
    AHowes
    So you say you swapped pc cases?

Did you make sure you dont have a motherboard standoff in a spot it's not supposed to be and now touching the motherboard? Thet could cause all kinds of crazy stuff to happen.

Also its possable the card is not able to install all the way into the pcie slot in the new case. Check the fit. The i/o slot could be holding it up and all the gold contacts on the card are not making perfect contact

Yeah I know it would be a super pain but I'd remove the motherboard and check.. also run the system out of the case can also test the card if it is a fitment issue.

Also testing the card in the bios on another system would be another quick test method. The lights should turn on outside of windows I believe.. it dont need pxoc.

Yes I swapped cases from Air 240 to Crystal 280X. No standoffs where they shouldn't be. I actually did have to pull the board out early in and move one down but I didn't even have any cabling in the case yet so it wasn't close to being powered on yet along with not even having the board screwed in. The card was all the way in no contacts were visible. The card left yesterday on it's way to Newegg so the testing in another system is mute. Not only that I'm not breaking down my custom loop in my game rig to test a card from a different computer. That's just nuts.
    I just don't get how all other lighting was active on the card but the main EVGA GTX...... Logo. The SC2 was lit up yellow and the white lighting on the fan side of the heat sink was on. Neither of which would turn off with clicking led off in XOC so I don't know if those even turn on/off through XOC or not. Unfortunately I did run into another deal I couldn't pass up yesterday so I'm upgrading while this card is getting exchanged with Newegg. So the card coming back and checking to make sure it was in fact the card is also mute. The new 1070 TI will be here Monday and Newegg probably won't even get the card yet let alone get the replacement out.

Unfortunately for my friends at EVGA it won't be an EVGA card going back in. Nothing against EVGA and this first issue I've ever had with any of their products. It's a matter of not really liking the style of the back plate, My mobo being an Asus Stix, having rgb, and price/performance. So you can guess it's an Asus card that is now going to be installed. It's $25 less then I paid for the 1070 on sale through Newegg (price/performance), it has RGB, and it will blend MUCH MUCH better with my build. I just hope Asus did some work on the fan noise between a RX480 Strix and the 1070 TI Strix. The EVGA card was near silent which I give mad props to EVGA for. Frankly while playing BF1 I didn't even know the fans were running. Now the old RX480 Strix I had that's a completely different story on noise. So hopefully they have toned down the fan noise. If not I don't do much gaming on this box anyway so I won't have to listen to the F-16 too often.

Now EVGA I do still have your 1080FTW kicking away in my game rig so no hard feelings guys. lol
    post edited by scgt1 - 2018/07/20 06:11:24

Heatware scgt1
    ebay scgt1
    EDGE

AngryAce
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 867
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: 12 day old GTX 1070 SC2 Logo LED stopped working 2018/07/20 15:19:30 (permalink)
    scgt1
    Mattukr

Especially if there is potential to get a refurbished replacement. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile