EVGA

Another data-leaking Spectre CPU flaw among Intel's dirty dozen of security bug alerts.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: Another data-leaking Spectre CPU flaw among Intel's dirty dozen of security bug alerts 2018/07/21 07:03:34 (permalink)
ty_ger07
kram36
So I downloaded the InSpectre tool and I got this as my result.

Again, what's your point? You are the center of the universe, it seems.

As already stated multiple times, it's an extremely serious vulnerability which requires patching. If your board manufacturer patched the issue, good for you. La-di-da. Others haven't. Go find somewhere else to be the center of attention.

Oh look at me! I'm the center of the world...yay!

Let me remind you of this for those that do not have a patch for their pc.

Apvrille's work backs up what we've heard from other researchers: so far, Spectre exploitation is theoretical, with no exploits in the wild. She wrote that while there was a flurry of “Spectre exploit” stories based on AV-Test sample collection, it turned out that all of the reported samples were proofs-of-concept rather than genuine malware.

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30996
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Another data-leaking Spectre CPU flaw among Intel's dirty dozen of security bug alerts 2018/07/21 07:26:21 (permalink)
As in all potential Day 0 attacks; people need to follow Best Practices to secure their Network & PCs.

1) Updated OS: Security parches kept up to date

2) Network security: Firewalls (hard & soft) change the password, updated firmware
    Know who has access to your network (Whitelist) & who is downloading what.   
    Turn Remote access Off

3) PC: Good Passwords & Account names, Daily/ Hourly security patches for your Security software, Daily scans, Anti-Malware & Anti-Virus

4) Encryption of ALL sensitive Data, this would include hardware locks when appropriate

5) Implement a backup plan, use it, Test it before you Need it.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10336
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: Another data-leaking Spectre CPU flaw among Intel's dirty dozen of security bug alerts 2018/07/21 07:46:37 (permalink)
aka_STEVE_b
good news on the horizon - 

https://www.theregister.c...17/spectre_protectors/

Interesting article.  Thanks for sharing...

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21173
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Another data-leaking Spectre CPU flaw among Intel's dirty dozen of security bug alerts 2018/07/21 13:40:35 (permalink)
kram36
ty_ger07
kram36
So I downloaded the InSpectre tool and I got this as my result.

Again, what's your point? You are the center of the universe, it seems.

As already stated multiple times, it's an extremely serious vulnerability which requires patching. If your board manufacturer patched the issue, good for you. La-di-da. Others haven't. Go find somewhere else to be the center of attention.

Oh look at me! I'm the center of the world...yay!

Let me remind you of this for those that do not have a patch for their pc.

Apvrille's work backs up what we've heard from other researchers: so far, Spectre exploitation is theoretical, with no exploits in the wild. She wrote that while there was a flurry of “Spectre exploit” stories based on AV-Test sample collection, it turned out that all of the reported samples were proofs-of-concept rather than genuine malware.

No known exploits in the wild = no unknown exploits in the wild? = never will be exploits in the wild?
Does not compute.
It is an extremely serious vulnerability, and if/when it is exploited, the consequences can be massive.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11094
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Another data-leaking Spectre CPU flaw among Intel's dirty dozen of security bug alerts 2018/07/21 16:20:03 (permalink)
You guys are funny.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30996
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Another data-leaking Spectre CPU flaw among Intel's dirty dozen of security bug alerts 2018/07/22 08:06:48 (permalink)
PLEASE stay on topic, you know the TOS

These other Violations Can lead to your account being BAN

(excerpts of TOS)

"Breaking any of the above listed forum rules may result in the loss of posting privileges and possible loss of your forum account."

"EVGA reserves the right to remove/ban any user, at any time, and for any reason. "

"A temporary ban of 7 days will follow two warnings for the same type of infraction."

• Personal Attacks - Personal attacks often lead to the trading of insults, and can throw the discussion of a legitimate topic off-track.  Personal attacks can be defined as issuing a single or repeated personal attack or attacks aimed at another member, rather than at their opinions or ideas.  Criticizing a member's post is not considered a personal attack, but using terms such as "child," "idiot," "fanboy," for example, or any other derogatory term designed to discredit a member, is not permitted.  Furthermore, comments of a racist or sexist nature, as well as derogatory comments about national origin or sexual orientation, will be dealt with harshly as in a ban from the forums.
  • Trolling - Trolling can be defined as when a member posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages with the primary intent or consequence of provoking other users into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. Trolling can also be accomplished by harassing another member by following them through various threads, creating threads directed at another member or group of members, or intentionally creating the same thread in various forums despite being warned or told to post in the correct forum.  Members who feel they are being "trolled" should contact a moderator immediately, as this is the only effective way to prevent this behavior.
  • Abusing Forum Software - Using the forum's software and features to harass or troll others, violate the TOS, or use the features in a manner not intended by EVGA is strictly prohibited.  This includes the use of E-mail and Private Messages to harass or discuss illegal activities with other members.  Likewise, using the post rating system or Ticket system to harass or troll members is prohibited.  EVGA can review PM's and E-Mails sent through the forums, as well as use other tools to investigate whether the forum software is being abused.  Repeated abuse of the software or features of the EVGA forums may lead to a loss of posting privileges.
  • Copyright Protected Material - Observe all copyright laws, EULA's, TOS's and NDA's when posting copyrighted material. If the material belongs to someone else, credit the original author and include a link to the original source, if possible. Do not post messages that violate Federal, State, or Local laws which include, but are not limited to, anything that violates a copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or is bound by NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement).
  • Self-Advertising - Self-advertising is defined as linking to an external website promoting either yourself, your family, a friend, or an employer for 3rd-Party promotions not sponsored by EVGA, employment, recruiting, or any other purpose where the poster stands to gain by posting such link.  EVGA may allow such links to be posted if the poster first asks the moderators or an admin to review the content and express approval is given prior to posting.  Otherwise, failure to first contact EVGA may result in a thread/post being edited or deleted, and may be cause for a warning.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile