EVGA

Liquid Cooling

Author
Captmcnet
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/07/06 11:23:39 (permalink)
I am experienced in only Closed Loop Cooling.
The closed loop system with which most of us are most familiar is our automobile.
The engine (the CPU) cares not about the air temp under the hood (inside the PC case). 
It cares greatly about the temp of the liquid coolant. 

The best case PC scenario is liquid cooling for both the CPU and the GPU. 
The GPU can many times run hotter than the CPU. 
In all cases push or pull cool outside air across the fins of your liquid cooler. 
Never exhaust hot air (from inside the case) across the fins of your cooler. 

Positive air pressure within your PC case will reduce dust build up. 
Always protect the intake air (front intake and bottom intake) by using dust filters. 
You need to keep the air moving through your PC case and across the hot parts (GPU, mobo, hard drives) . 
This requires dependable fans, both intake and exhaust. Replace any 80mm / 90mm fans with 120mm and/or 140mm (or bigger) fans. 
By-The-By, Corsair marks it's mag-lev (no bearings) quiet fans with physical arrows showing the fan blade spin direction, wish to God that EVGA would do the same.   I have wasted time staring at an unmarked fan trying to discern the direction of its blade rotation. 

You need major cooling intake fans at the front of your PC case, and major hot air exhaust fans at the top and rear of your case; therefore the primo location for the liquid cooling radiator is at the bottom of your PC case; drawing cool air in from under the case. 

Class dismissed. 

17 Replies Related Threads

HaywireHaywood
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 860
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Liquid Cooling 2018/07/06 12:42:52 (permalink)
    The one thing I've learned about liquid cooling from reading on this forum over the last month or six weeks is that you want your radiator above, not below your cpu so that bubbles in the system collect in the radiator instead of your pump.

Edit... that applies to the sealed units with the pump on the block.  If you have a custom loop with a separate pump and reservoir, that may not apply.  I haven't read that much about custom loop systems.
    post edited by HaywireHaywood - 2018/07/06 12:51:45

Heatware Affiliate code: QLF0RY1CK9
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Liquid Cooling 2018/07/06 12:52:37 (permalink)
    It would be better for air bubbles to be in the radiator. I really though don’t think it would make that much difference if it was at the bottom or the top for where the hot air would be. It is almost like saying push or pull across the radiator. I mean you will see a difference but it’s not that much.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

HaywireHaywood
    SSC Member
    Re: Liquid Cooling 2018/07/06 12:54:44 (permalink)
    I thought I read that air in the pump would cause cavitation, loss of flow, and a dead pump from lack of cooling/lubrication... Maybe I need to read more.

6dracing
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1018
    Re: Liquid Cooling 2018/07/06 15:03:17 (permalink)
    I had a situation where i got air bubbles in the cpu block.  It took no time for the cpu to get very hot under gaming.  I shook the case a bit and it cleared up.  For sure not something you want to have happen if your not paying attention.  This was with an old build.  I just finished up my new one with a pump res combo.  I have a little bit of air bubbles in the rad but nothing too bad.  my rad is mounted at the side of my case (tower 900).  I dont have an option to put it above it.
    Captmcnet
    Liquid Cooling 2018/07/07 07:52:14 (permalink)
    I am building a new mid-tower system, and am having trouble with installation of my new EVGA 280 x 140 closed loop cooler.  
    I need to be able to install, at my choice, between pulling air across or pushing air across the radiator fins.  
    But this model of EVGA cooler is missing the physical markers (typically arrows) which serve to show the direction in which the fan blades will spin.  Without knowing the direction that the fan blades will spin, one cannot know the direction of air flow through the fan.  Knowledge of air flow direction is absolutely critical for intelligent installation of the cooling system.  
    I am stunned by the absence of this critical piece of information.  Over many years I have built many PC's for friends and family.  I have never before encountered a cooling fan that is missing this critical marker information.  
    I have watched on-line videos and searched EVGA forums without so far finding a discussion of this specific problem.  I am amused by persons in the videos relating that they had reversed the mounting of the cooling fan in order to achieve either push or pull; Hello! without prior knowledge of fan air flow direction you do not know What you are doing!!!  

If I am looking at the side of the fan which shows the decal (also there to hold in place the electrical lead) which contains printed information, which direction (clockwise or counter clockwise) will the fan blades be turning when power is applied?  EVGA tech support please answer, I am not looking for assumptions.  

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Liquid Cooling 2018/07/07 08:18:37 (permalink)
    The air flow of the fans is like this.

Captmcnet
    Re: Liquid Cooling 2018/07/07 08:22:36 (permalink)
    1. Cavitation will always be a problem for any liquid pump.  
    2. If you do not believe there is a significant difference between drawing hot air across the fins of a radiator and drawing cool air across the radiator fins, try reversing your car radiator so that lt exhausts the under hood hot air across the radiator fins and then write to tell us just how long your engine lasted.  
    3. As a PC builder one is absolutely dependent upon the manufacturer of the closed loop cooling system to have eliminated all air bubbles from their product.  I have over the years installed CLC systems of three brand name providers have never encountered an air bubble problem.  Perhaps I have been fortunate.  
    Live Long and Prosper! 

Captmcnet
    Re: Liquid Cooling 2018/07/07 08:34:28 (permalink)
    Thank you; I will proceed based on your information.  
    And, additionally it would be very helpful to All of us if you would please tell us How do you know? 

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Liquid Cooling 2018/07/07 08:56:47 (permalink)

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Liquid Cooling 2018/07/07 08:59:56 (permalink)
    Captmcnet
    Thank you; I will proceed based on your information.  
    And, additionally it would be very helpful to All of us if you would please tell us How do you know? 

Because I own 4 of these fans and that's the air flow direction of them.
    HaywireHaywood
    SSC Member
    Re: Liquid Cooling 2018/07/07 09:41:00 (permalink)
    Yup, I don't disagree with you about intake vs exhaust mount.  Makes perfect sense, but the tradeoff is that your are feeding hot air into your case instead of blowing it out.  Your case temps suffer and so everything inside the case is a few degrees warmer.  The last time I messed with liquid cooling was around 2000, and I never did get it hooked up.  Lost interest before completion.  At the time, my plan was putting the radiator outside the case.  It wouldn't have served dual duty as case ventilation.  It wouldn't have been pretty or mobile, but it would have eliminated the tradeoff.  Computers these days have morphed into fashion statements with all the LEDs, vertical graphics card mounts and glass panels.  I like an old school utilitarian box that secures the equipment and is well ventilated.
    post edited by HaywireHaywood - 2018/07/07 09:54:19

Captmcnet
    Re: Liquid Cooling 2018/07/07 09:44:37 (permalink)
    We all thank you, Solid. 
    There is no substitute for Experience! 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Liquid Cooling 2018/07/07 10:44:15 (permalink)
    All PC fans are set to "blow" in their default rotation.  The low side of the blade is the pressure side of the blade

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Liquid Cooling 2018/07/07 10:47:25 (permalink)

Having two threads about the same thing is not allowed. Plus this is in the wrong section. I will merge this thread with your other one that's in the correct "Cooling" section.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    HaywireHaywood
    SSC Member
    Re: Liquid Cooling 2018/07/07 17:15:03 (permalink)
    XrayMan

Having two threads about the same thing is not allowed. Plus this is in the wrong section. I will merge this thread with your other one that's in the correct "Cooling" section.

LOL... I clicked on this thread again and all of a sudden there were all these extra posts in between that weren't there before.  I was confused before getting to your post.

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Liquid Cooling 2018/07/08 19:37:04 (permalink)
    HaywireHaywood
    XrayMan

LOL... I clicked on this thread again and all of a sudden there were all these extra posts in between that weren't there before.  I was confused before getting to your post.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Liquid Cooling 2018/07/09 21:18:01 (permalink)
    HaywireHaywood
    I thought I read that air in the pump would cause cavitation, loss of flow, and a dead pump from lack of cooling/lubrication... Maybe I need to read more.

this can be true, but with a resivore mounted as high as you can the air will bleed into it, tiny bubbles may still appear for a few days as the pump speeds up and down but it will eventually purge all the air into the res.

HaywireHaywood
    Yup, I don't disagree with you about intake vs exhaust mount.  Makes perfect sense, but the tradeoff is that your are feeding hot air into your case instead of blowing it out.  Your case temps suffer and so everything inside the case is a few degrees warmer.  The last time I messed with liquid cooling was around 2000, and I never did get it hooked up.  Lost interest before completion.  At the time, my plan was putting the radiator outside the case.  It wouldn't have served dual duty as case ventilation.  It wouldn't have been pretty or mobile, but it would have eliminated the tradeoff.  Computers these days have morphed into fashion statements with all the LEDs, vertical graphics card mounts and glass panels.  I like an old school utilitarian box that secures the equipment and is well ventilated.

i have always ran my rad fans as intakes, the difference in a well planned and vented case is nill, the trick is to have good intake of cool air, in my case i have a 360 rad at the top, 140 fan at the rear a 2 140's on the front, the rear fan sucks all the warmer air out as the front fans push cooler air across the board. 

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile