GTX 980 ti nearly bursting into flames!

Author
A Fuzzy Object
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/07/05 20:15:24 (permalink)
Ok, so I specifically have an EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC+ GAMING ACX 2.0+

I've just sent my warranty replacement back to EVGA. I originally bought my card like 3 years ago. Ever since the latest driver from Nvidia, the fans won't work at all. Manually setting the fan speed did nothing when using precisionX. So for the replacement, I used an older version, which worked fine until it somehow updated. It was probably windows 10 being a douchebag. I set it to not update automatically. The first card fried one of my slots on my mobo. The second, thankfully, didn't. But this time, it had smoke. I'm sure it reached over 100° C since I needed hand protection to take it out and it was producing some white smoke.. and sounded like it was sizzling.

No other parts of my pc have this issue. All other parts had normal temperatures at the time of the burn-out.

Anyone else having this issue? I honestly don't think the cards were defective nor do I think my power supply is at fault.

4 Replies Related Threads

Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: GTX 980 ti nearly bursting into flames! 2018/07/06 14:48:53 (permalink)
    quite a few threads just here on 900 card burned up [so to say ]   looks like you just joined the club ...

maybe lucky for me  I yet to need to update a driver since back when  355. xx  or so [release period drivers]  .

lots say the drivers have nothing to do with things  but like in safe mode or no driver installed the card only runs in its low power ''safe mode'' power states  its when you install the NVidia driver that kicks in the cards full power states to run it fully..  I tend to think the latest driver geared to the latest card could be a factor  as well ...

if not dur from the latest drivers used in some way of jacking with the power states  its about down to for me each time I fire up with my 900  [980ti]  card I post , display and run all day  with out issue I just got to knock on wood it keeps doing so  ...lol.....

sorry for your loss  and ya, I my opinion  its called that malware ''service''   called windows 10 .   i's have to really hate your guts to recommend or even suggest to use it  . what a joke  ...lol  I'm just glad I don't need to be duped in to ever using it  for anything ever.. 
    A Fuzzy Object
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: GTX 980 ti nearly bursting into flames! 2018/07/07 20:58:48 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, DirectX 12 requires Windows 10. It's not as bad as vista, but I thought they had fixed the driver update problem. Though, there isn't enough evidence for the driver being the problem that I can find. Well, other than it burning up when it got updated. Safe mode didn't work either. I just had a black screen. The cards were done for.
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: GTX 980 ti nearly bursting into flames! 2018/07/08 11:03:46 (permalink)
    ''Unfortunately, DirectX 12 requires Windows 10.''  and may run far better and still use DX 9 10 or 11    .   not like I got DX 12 crap piled up on my back door  ...lol...

I used and still do vista  I seen nothing wrong with it   and at least it was a OS not a service / malware service   as 10 is   matter of fact I can use XP vista or 7 and never have to put them on line for anything  to fully use them  also accept or decline / pick any downloads / updates as I see fit  unlike 10 its as Microsoft see fit  and if you do its just temporary  then you will accept them no matter  what  .

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183922/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo

I do see there is a tool  to hide / prevent  but  don't say if its in the time limit  to do so
    don't really matter here , 10  will never get used. 

I don't see how in any way it or Microsoft can be trusted in any way  or what goes on with it every time you go on line under your nose  anyway with it ..   todays high speed internet  you would never see it happen and too late when it does  .   your personal computer is now there public computer .. 

anyway like I said there  been a rash over the past few months or so on 900 cards ''burnt''     and like I said with mine all I do is fingers crossed every time I fire up I don't get in to that  [sad]

Dave3d
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 720
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: GTX 980 ti nearly bursting into flames! 2018/07/15 18:28:24 (permalink)
    Win 8.1 is better than Vista, much better.
    And it wont do anything you dont like, like win 10 does (it doesnt auto install anything).
    But, it is also just DX11.
    But, 11 runs almost every game faster. new games coming up in a couple years will probably be mostly DX12 then, but thats a ways off.

Can you get an rma for the card, or is it out of warranty ?

I7 9700k water cooled-32GB Ram-Zotac 2080 x2 SLI-Asrock Z390 SLI mobo-EVGA 1600W G2 psu-ABS Glass case-2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor-Windows 10 Home
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile