EVGA

My EVGA GTX 970 FTW blew up

Author
IzuruCS
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/06/21 22:16:13 (permalink)
Hey guys, So yesterday I was playing CS:GO and my computer shuts off all of a sudden and I try turning it on and nothing happens. So then I remove the side panel and I could smell something burn't, after some diagnosing I try powering on the PC without the video card plugged in and it boots to Windows perfectly fine. So the thing is I got my EVGA GTX 970 FTW card as a gift from my exgirlfriend who I'm no longer friend's with as the relationship ended on bad terms. What am I mean't to do this situation? Do I just buy a new 1080 or use my iGPU until the 1100 series comes out since I think I'm screwed for warranty.

edit: Ever since the GPU blew up I can hear static noise in my earphones, is there any to fix this?

edit 2: After further inspecting the video card I notice that theres like some weird burn mark on the top left side of the solder points, I'll attach images below.

edit 3: Static noise disappeared after leaving my pc off overnight and turns out I have 3 more months of warranty so I'll be shipping my card back, thanks guys. 

post edited by IzuruCS - 2018/06/26 02:31:19

9 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: My EVGA GTX 970 FTW blew up 2018/06/21 22:59:24 (permalink)
    IzuruCS
    Do I just buy a new 1080 or use my iGPU until the 1100 series comes out since I think I'm screwed for warranty.

edit: Ever since the GPU blew up I can hear static noise in my earphones, is there any to fix this?

Up to you.

Unplug/replug your headphones to the motherboard.
    IzuruCS
    Re: My EVGA GTX 970 FTW blew up 2018/06/21 23:01:45 (permalink)
    Sajin
    IzuruCS
    Do I just buy a new 1080 or use my iGPU until the 1100 series comes out since I think I'm screwed for warranty.

Up to you.

Unplug/replug your headphones to the motherboard.

I already did that, I hear like some sort of constant coilwhine noise even when I disable my playback devices on Windows its really annoying.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: My EVGA GTX 970 FTW blew up 2018/06/22 05:56:12 (permalink)
    You don't need to talk to your girlfriend to get a warranty replacement. Call EVGA and ask them if the video card is still in the warranty period.
    https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

Based on constant headphone noise even when the audio device is muted or disabled, it sounds to me like you should replace the power supply before the rest of your system is ruined.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/06/22 06:00:01

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

IzuruCS
    Re: My EVGA GTX 970 FTW blew up 2018/06/22 08:54:29 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    You don't need to talk to your girlfriend to get a warranty replacement. Call EVGA and ask them if the video card is still in the warranty period.

Based on constant headphone noise even when the audio device is muted or disabled, it sounds to me like you should replace the power supply before the rest of your system is ruined.

I'm a broke college student, I don't think I can afford a power supply right now. Is there anyway that EVGA can compensate me so that I could get a new power supply, if it wasn't for the video card blowing up and catching on fire I wouldn't be having this issue. 
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102300
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: My EVGA GTX 970 FTW blew up 2018/06/22 09:00:54 (permalink)
    IzuruCS
    ty_ger07

I'm a broke college student, I don't think I can afford a power supply right now. Is there anyway that EVGA can compensate me so that I could get a new power supply, if it wasn't for the video card blowing up and catching on fire I wouldn't be having this issue. 

You would need to contact EVGA directly to see what they have to say.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

IzuruCS
    Re: My EVGA GTX 970 FTW blew up 2018/06/22 09:18:59 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    IzuruCS
    ty_ger07

You would need to contact EVGA directly to see what they have to say.

Alright, I just tried calling them but they're out of their working hours so I just sent them an email. Thanks for letting me know that. 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: My EVGA GTX 970 FTW blew up 2018/06/22 09:50:43 (permalink)
    IzuruCS
    ty_ger07

I'm a broke college student, I don't think I can afford a power supply right now.

Can you afford for your entire computer to be ruined?  You already ruined a video card.

Is there anyway that EVGA can compensate me so that I could get a new power supply, if it wasn't for the video card blowing up and catching on fire I wouldn't be having this issue. 

ASSUMING that it is true that there is something wrong with your power supply (it does seem to be true that there is something wrong with your power supply), instead of thinking the video card destroyed your power supply, I would think more that the power supply destroyed your video card.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

IzuruCS
    Re: My EVGA GTX 970 FTW blew up 2018/06/22 12:13:25 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    IzuruCS
    ty_ger07

I'm a broke college student, I don't think I can afford a power supply right now.

Can you afford for your entire computer to be ruined?  You already ruined a video card.

Is there anyway that EVGA can compensate me so that I could get a new power supply, if it wasn't for the video card blowing up and catching on fire I wouldn't be having this issue. 

ASSUMING that it is true that there is something wrong with your power supply (it does seem to be true that there is something wrong with your power supply), instead of thinking the video card destroyed your power supply, I would think more that the power supply destroyed your video card.

From diagnosing futher I know for a fact its the not power supply now, I just tried my friends one and it still makes a static noise sound. I'm certain that it shorted the motherboards integrated sound card so I'll just have to see whether it will fix itself over time. I'll leave my PC unplugged overnight to see if that does anything and if it doesn't I'll have to buy an addon pcie sound card. 
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: My EVGA GTX 970 FTW blew up 2018/06/22 16:36:15 (permalink)
    well dude your just another of plenty of 900 card burned up / blew up /caught fire  /ect of like issue ...   several threads just here on that if you look back some

thing is if it goes may be just the card is junked or then could take something else with it   . everything runs and powers through the motherboard   and anything attached and running when it went is fair game  if unlucky

maybe a add on card for the sound will work out ?   maybe the card going out did not also affect the rest of  pci slots  ?    your down to buy and try and hope it resolves .if not may be down to live with it or a new build to overcome it fully ..
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile