EVGA

EVGA Restart To UEFI From Desktop Now With Installer!

Author
kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 72
2018/06/19 01:32:23 (permalink)
I've been asking EVGA to supply us with software that will allow us to boot directly to the motherboard bios from the desktop. EVGA is looking into it, but for now you can go directly from your desktop to the UEFI if you installed Windows 10 in UEFI mode. EVGA will have to make the software to boot into the Legacy bios as I do not know how to do this. It can be done as other manufacturers offer this software even if you installed Windows 10 in Legacy bios mode. I am going to give you the instructions to create a desktop icon which you can click and go directly to the UEFI from the desktop. I'm also going to supply a installer to do this for you. Go to post # 2 for the easy way to do this and skip the create your own EVGA Restart To UEFI section, just make sure you installed Windows 10 in UEFI mode.

Here is a short video of how it works.

Instructions for creating your own EVGA Restart To UEFI desktop icon.

First thing you need to do is make sure you installed Windows 10 in UEFI mode.

Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then press the R key at the same time. This will bring up the run box.

In the run box type msinfo32 and click OK.

The System Information window will pop up. You will need to check if your Bios mode is UEFI or Legacy. It needs to be in UEFI. Close when done checking.

Now check to make sure your boot drive has a EFI partition.

Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then press the X key at the same time. This will bring up a menu where you need to click on Disk Management.

Once Disk Management has opened, make sure you have a EFI partition. Close when done checking.

After you have made sure Windows 10 was installed in UEFI mode follow these directions to create the shortcut that will boot your system directly to the UEFI from the desktop or you can download the shortcut I have already created an installer to do this for you. Go to post number 2 for the easy way to do this and skip this section.

Right click on a empty space on your desktop, go down to New and click Shortcut.

A window will pop up that you will need to put either of the following commands into it and click Next.

shutdown /r /fw

By default the shutdown /r /fw command will wait 30 seconds to restart your system. I personally want it to restart instantly. This is the command for an instant restart.

shutdown /r /t 0 /fw

Now give the shortcut a name. I name it EVGA Restart To UEFI and click Finish.

You will now see the new shortcut icon on your desktop.

You need to right click the shortcut icon and click on Properties.

Now click on the Advanced button and put a tic on the Run as administrator and click OK.

Now click Apply and finish with clicking OK.

If you would like to change the desktop icon image, click the Change Icon button.

You will get warning window, click OK on this.

Now select a icon from the list of icons being offered and click OK or click Browse and select an icon image you have to use and click OK. For this part I'll just use an icon from the provided list.

Now click Apply and finish with clicking OK.

Your desktop shortcut icon will now be changed.

The shortcut is now ready to use. Double click the desktop shortcut icon and you will get UAC notice.

Nothing will happen until you click Yes. If you're not ready to reboot into the UEFI simply click No. If you chose the instant restart as I do, soon as you click Yes your system will restart to the UEFI. If you did not set it to instant reboot, after you click Yes you will get a message stating You're about to be signed out, click Close on this and wait for your system to restart.

Once the system restarts, you will be in your UEFI.

I hope you find the EVGA Restart To UEFI useful. I know I do as you do not need to start pecking the delete key on a restart to get into the UEFI. Simply double click the desktop EVGA Restart To UEFI icon and you're restarted to the UEFI with no inputs from you.

Enjoy!

post edited by kram36 - 2018/06/20 18:41:53

13 Replies Related Threads

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: How To: EVGA Restart To UEFI From Desktop 2018/06/19 01:45:09 (permalink)
    Using the installer I am providing for download.

If you do not want to go through all these steps to create the EVGA Restart To UEFI shortcut, you can download the installer I have made. My EVGA Restart To UEFI shortcut is set to do an instant restart. So once you click Yes at the UAC notice, your system will restart and go into the UEFI.

Download the zip file from here https://mega.nz/#!37hmzCKR!adySuedhhCSXT3Qx6xHobI11f8EjAnr_AnLE_lj1ub0

Once you have downloaded the installer, you will need to execute the installer and follow the directions.

When you execute the file you will get a UAC prompt, click yes on this.

At the Welcome screen click Next.

The next part will be the install location, which is C:\Program Files (x86)\EVGA Restart To UEFI. Do NOT change this or the nice EVGA image will not be on your desktop icon. Just click the Next button.

Click the Install button.

Click the Finish button.

You will now have a EVGA Restart To UEFI icon on your desktop and also in your start menu if you don't want the icon on your desktop.

Double click the EVGA Restart to UEFI desktop icon or click the start menu entry and you will get UAC notice.

Nothing will happen until you click Yes. If you're not ready to reboot into the UEFI simply click No. This is a instant restart, soon as you click Yes your system will restart to the UEFI. So make sure any files that need to be saved are saved.

You can also uninstall this through Windows Programs and Features.

post edited by kram36 - 2018/06/20 18:18:20
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: How To: EVGA Restart To UEFI From Desktop 2018/06/19 01:46:20 (permalink)
    This section is no longer needed now that I have the installer.
    post edited by kram36 - 2018/06/20 18:13:13
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: How To: EVGA Restart To UEFI From Desktop 2018/06/19 06:02:09 (permalink)
    Very nice detail, great step by step

BR awarded for this thread

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: How To: EVGA Restart To UEFI From Desktop 2018/06/19 06:57:26 (permalink)
    Yeah, Asrock provided that kind of thing out of the box..kind of surprised eVGA doesn't (didn't)

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10327
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: How To: EVGA Restart To UEFI From Desktop 2018/06/19 07:22:05 (permalink)
    Nice job on this kram...  Thanks for sharing...

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: How To: EVGA Restart To UEFI From Desktop 2018/06/19 10:22:37 (permalink)
    Thanks, hope people find it handy.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10327
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: How To: EVGA Restart To UEFI From Desktop 2018/06/19 12:56:12 (permalink)
    Works like a charm...

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: How To: EVGA Restart To UEFI From Desktop 2018/06/19 13:31:34 (permalink)
    Nice how to. 
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: How To: EVGA Restart To UEFI From Desktop 2018/06/20 18:14:32 (permalink)
    I have now made an installer for this. See post #2.
    mike406
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 904
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: How To: EVGA Restart To UEFI From Desktop 2018/06/20 23:25:29 (permalink)
    Is an installer really necessary? Could you not just share the .lnk file? It actually takes more time to use the installer than just post the .lnk because you gotta go through smartscreen and clicking Next for what is essentially one shortcut file.
    post edited by mike406 - 2018/06/20 23:34:00

Associate Code: 6KIMUJ06W8WFDR5 (5-10% off your purchase)              

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: How To: EVGA Restart To UEFI From Desktop 2018/06/21 05:05:58 (permalink)
    mike406
    Is an installer really necessary? Could you not just share the .lnk file? It actually takes more time to use the installer than just post the .lnk because you gotta go through smartscreen and clicking Next for what is essentially one shortcut file.

Go to post #1, you don't have to download anything.
    mike406
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 904
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: How To: EVGA Restart To UEFI From Desktop 2018/06/21 19:31:27 (permalink)
    kram36
    mike406

Missing the point. If you actually wish to save people's time, you'd just provide a download to the .lnk. Drag and drop to the desktop. Done. You don't exactly answer the question of why an installer was provided for a single file. 
    post edited by mike406 - 2018/06/21 19:36:30

Associate Code: 6KIMUJ06W8WFDR5 (5-10% off your purchase)              

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: How To: EVGA Restart To UEFI From Desktop 2018/06/21 19:53:00 (permalink)
    mike406
    kram36
    mike406

Missing the point. If you actually wish to save people's time, you'd just provide a download to the .lnk. Drag and drop to the desktop. Done. You don't exactly answer the question of why an installer was provided for a single file. 

It's 2 files and it's done as an installer for ease of use plus a nice desktop icon. One file is the Restart to UEFI shortcut and the second file is for the EVGA ico image for the desktop icon.
    post edited by kram36 - 2018/06/22 00:38:47
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile