EVGA

New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far

Author
jumblo
  • Total Posts : 76
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/06/16 14:52:16 (permalink)
So I did it. I upgrade from the old x79 platform and went all out. Was going to get the x299 Dark, but the price Newegg had on the FTWK was unbeatable, just couldn't justify it. Plus it let me spend more on the processor and get the i9-7920x.

First up, I'm impressed with the board. It's pretty much everything anyone could want, the only thing I think is horrible is the USB 3.0 Header being sideways. Put that like the USB 2.0 HDR. It's so much easier that way. That being said I have it up and running and have been messing with overclocking a bit. I have it running pretty solid at 4.0GHZ. However, I've noticed a big jump in temps when I jump it up from 3.9 to 4.0. Is this normal? Also what are normal temps, It idles right at 31 and when I stress test with Prime 95 It shoots up to around 67. Are these decent temps? Everything I've read says that these chips run super hot, even liquid cooled.

Here's another thing with the RAM. The book says for 4 sticks of RAM run them in slots 1,3,5,7 for quad channel. When I put them in that configuration the board only sees 24GB and not 32. I moved the stick from slot 3, to slot 2 and now it sees the full 32GB, however E-Leet says is only running triple channel and not quad channel. As expensive as ram is, I want it to run Quad Channel. 

So hopefully some of you folks can point me in the right direction here and help me out. 

Full Specs are in signature.

20 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/16 14:56:31 (permalink)
    Congrats on your New build

Voltage when @ 4GHz ?

67 C on Prime 95 looks decent to me

Room temp ?

CPU cooler fan speed set to Max ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

jumblo
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/16 15:08:41 (permalink)
    So far I haven't changed the voltage at all for the CPU or the RAM. They are sitting at auto settings.

Room temp is around 70 degrees Farenheit.

Cpu fan and all fans are set to max.
    jumblo
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/16 15:14:26 (permalink)
    Here is a pic of E-LEET Monitoring

Attached Image(s)

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/16 15:22:25 (permalink)
    https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2806312
    EVGA X299 DARK Overclocking Guide 
    much of this can be applied to other X299

Regarding the RAM

Did you check that the slot was clean of all foreign material, usually need a good light

Did you try reinstalling the RAM

Did you try moving the RAM modules to the different slots:  MB slot 3 tested with all 4 different RAM modules
    MB slots 1,3,5,7
    RAM modules A, B, C, D

Basic warnings
    MB has power even when "Off" and can be damaged if components are changed
    With power removed from the wall and PSU fully discharged (hold start button 30 seconds)
    Follow ESD (ground yourself to prevent static discharge)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

JacobB
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 522
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/16 16:47:56 (permalink)
    Hello,

If one slot is not working, I would check to see if maybe a pin on the socket may have gotten bent. It is possible the "perfect pin" got bent to exhibit this behavior. You could also post a picture of the socket so the forum members can take a look as well to try and spot a bent pin if you are unable to find one. If there is no bent pin, then it is possible there is an issue with that specific memory slot.

-Jacob B.
    jumblo
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/16 16:55:33 (permalink)
    I had read about the bent pin thing. I looked all over for it and can't seem to find it. I am going to get a magnifying glass so I can get in even closer because maybe I'm just blind. I'll try posting a pic later of the socket.

As far as being clear of foreign objects. I have ensured the slot is clear. I have even blown compressed air in the socket to ensure no dust etc. I have tried all the sticks in that slot, not a single one will show up, however when I thought originally it was a bad dimm I also tried them in slot 1 separately and the machine booted just fine. 

I'm going to check into the bent pin again tonight. I'll post back on my findings.

Thanks for the help as usual, this place is great!

JacobB
    SSC Member
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/16 18:45:28 (permalink)
    jumblo
    I had read about the bent pin thing. I looked all over for it and can't seem to find it. I am going to get a magnifying glass so I can get in even closer because maybe I'm just blind. I'll try posting a pic later of the socket.

As far as being clear of foreign objects. I have ensured the slot is clear. I have even blown compressed air in the socket to ensure no dust etc. I have tried all the sticks in that slot,

not a single one will show up, however when I thought originally it was a bad dimm I also tried them in slot 1 separately and the machine booted just fine. 

I'm going to check into the bent pin again tonight. I'll post back on my findings.

Of course! If you post a picture of the pins from multiple angles, it helps as well. Reflections and stuff... How do you like that 7920X? I've been wondering about going to an i9 from my 7820X. I'm quite comfortable with all 8 cores at a solid overclock at such a low voltage stable, but I'm sure it performs much better due to the extra cores and threads. Do you have any benchmarks with it yet?

-Jacob B.
    Y3didya
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 219
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/17 04:27:25 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JacobB
    jumblo

As far as being clear of foreign objects. I have ensured the slot is clear. I have even blown compressed air in the socket to ensure no dust etc. I have tried all the sticks in that slot,

not a single one will show up, however when I thought originally it was a bad dimm I also tried them in slot 1 separately and the machine booted just fine. 

Of course! If you post a picture of the pins from multiple angles, it helps as well. Reflections and stuff... How do you like that 7920X? I've been wondering about going to an i9 from my 7820X. I'm quite comfortable with all 8 cores at a solid overclock at such a low voltage stable, but I'm sure it performs much better due to the extra cores and threads. Do you have any benchmarks with it yet?

-Jacob B.

I love my i9-7920X and after 20 runs of Cinebench I have also not too crazy high temps when my room is normal temperature (like 20°C) ... then the CPU @4.7GHz gets about 80-85°C on the hottest core and coolest about 65°C. Currently due to the temperatures rising, I had to tune it down to 4.5GHz on all cores and when streaming on medium preset and gaming while that, 66°C.

Gotta say though, got a water loop and it is delidded.

• EVGA X299 Dark • Intel Core i9 7920X • 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 CL14 • Seasonic PRIME 80+ Platinum 850W • EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N Hydro Copper

Click here to save 3%-10% on your next EVGA purchase - My associates code is ZQ9K3H42VHCXOEM

|| Thank you justin_43, liked your Signature format so had to adapt it :)

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102260
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/17 04:39:49 (permalink)
    By the way I'd love to see you post pics of this build in the mods rigs section.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

JacobB
    SSC Member
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/17 10:23:57 (permalink)
    Y3didya
    EVGATech_JacobB
    jumblo

-Jacob B.

I love my i9-7920X and after 20 runs of Cinebench I have also not too crazy high temps when my room is normal temperature (like 20°C) ... then the CPU @4.7GHz gets about 80-85°C on the hottest core and coolest about 65°C. Currently due to the temperatures rising, I had to tune it down to 4.5GHz on all cores and when streaming on medium preset and gaming while that, 66°C.

I delid and water cooled my 7820X and I am also happy with the temperatures. I'm pretty happy with it. Prior to delidding, did you also have issues with temperature spikes to around 90-100C? I've been trying to overclock the CPU to get to the performance range of the 7920X but I'm not quite there yet. I'm attempting to get as high of a clock as possible while staying under 1.3v. Maybe down the line, I'll push it to 1.35 or higher. I miss how overclock happy my FX-8150 was. I easily hit 6 GHz without issues (aside from temp).
    post edited by EVGATech_JacobB - 2018/06/17 10:28:32
    jumblo
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/17 13:57:08 (permalink)
    Well folks, i have a bent CPU pin. So I was talking to my buddy who was going to fix it and he decided to buy the board off me for what i paid as it was a super sweet deal. So I went on Newegg and said screw it I’m getting the DARK. Now the wait game begins. As soon as it arrives and i get it up and running i’ll get a post up letting you all know my thoughts and benchmarks,
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/17 15:13:03 (permalink)
    man, this run of X299 boards have a delicate socket. Is it just this round of X299 stuff or has this all ways been an issue (yes by nature of the design it will be delicate) of this type of socket?
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/17 15:40:52 (permalink)
    thanks for the update

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/17 17:51:52 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear about the bent pin but at least it sounds like it is being handled and that you should have a great build when the Dark shows up.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8327
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/17 22:45:40 (permalink)
    Make sure under any circumstances that you keep the cpu voltage under 1.2 and temps shouldn't haunt you.  I have a 7820X and the difference between 4.3 GHZ and 4.4 is 1.17 volts under load (about 1.15 idle) at 4.3 and 1.21 volts under load at 4.4 and the temp difference is about 5-7C.  Even with that said...what you had at 67C with prime is pretty satisfactory...
    post edited by bobmitch - 2018/06/17 22:48:49

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk;  Ryzen 9 5950X; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Corsair H115i Pro; 32 GB  Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600; Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z; Corsair HX 850i;  Lian Li Lancool II;  EVGA Z15
    RGB Keyboard; and Razer Viper 8K Mouse
    Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

Y3didya
    Superclocked Member
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/18 05:17:32 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JacobB
    Y3didya
    EVGATech_JacobB
    jumblo

-Jacob B.

I delid and water cooled my 7820X and I am also happy with the temperatures. I'm pretty happy with it. Prior to delidding, did you also have issues with temperature spikes to around 90-100C? I've been trying to overclock the CPU to get to the performance range of the 7920X but I'm not quite there yet. I'm attempting to get as high of a clock as possible while staying under 1.3v. Maybe down the line, I'll push it to 1.35 or higher. I miss how overclock happy my FX-8150 was. I easily hit 6 GHz without issues (aside from temp).

I have bought the CPU used from an enthusiast friend who also has a Kingpin :) He did the delidding already when I got it, so no idea in regards of stock temps. That are my current settings due to warmer temperatures outside and with that also in my topfloor apartment. Was able to run similar settings (just a bit higher voltage) for 4.7GHz.

Attached Image(s)

• EVGA X299 Dark • Intel Core i9 7920X • 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 CL14 • Seasonic PRIME 80+ Platinum 850W • EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N Hydro Copper

Click here to save 3%-10% on your next EVGA purchase - My associates code is ZQ9K3H42VHCXOEM

JacobB
    SSC Member
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/18 10:26:48 (permalink)
    jumblo
    Well folks, i have a bent CPU pin. So I was talking to my buddy who was going to fix it and he decided to buy the board off me for what i paid as it was a super sweet deal. So I went on Newegg and said screw it I’m getting the DARK. Now the wait game begins. As soon as it arrives and i get it up and running i’ll get a post up letting you all know my thoughts and benchmarks,

It's unfortunate to hear that. I am glad that you have got that handled though and will be getting a Dark :)

JacobB
    SSC Member
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/18 10:30:18 (permalink)
    Y3didya
    EVGATech_JacobB
    Y3didya
    EVGATech_JacobB
    jumblo

-Jacob B.

I have bought the CPU used from an enthusiast friend who also has a Kingpin :) He did the delidding already when I got it, so no idea in regards of stock temps. That are my current settings due to warmer temperatures outside and with that also in my topfloor apartment. Was able to run similar settings (just a bit higher voltage) for 4.7GHz.

[Pictures removed for length]

What voltage did you end up needing for you 4.7 GHz spec? I've been successful at around 1.242-1.245 I think I may be able to go lower, but I've been dealing with some terrible Windows BSoDs that I don't think are related so I'm in the process of formatting all my drives for a fresh install. I've had some blackouts in the past couple months which I suspect caused a corruption in my windows installation.
    jumblo
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/19 16:04:07 (permalink)
    Greetings everyone!

I received the DARK today. Wow, very sleek looking board!. I was unsure if I would like the non-flashy color scheme of the dark. So far, I'm liking it. Still have a lot of work to do. Have it set at 3.8GHZ right now and running solid temps. Right now just seeing what it does with out moving voltages etc. 

I'll get some pics up later when I have some time to finish the cable management etc.
    Y3didya
    Superclocked Member
    Re: New Build Thoughts and Concerns so far 2018/06/19 23:23:17 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JacobB
    Y3didya
    EVGATech_JacobB
    Y3didya
    EVGATech_JacobB
    jumblo

-Jacob B.

[Pictures removed for length]

What voltage did you end up needing for you 4.7 GHz spec? I've been successful at around 1.242-1.245 I think I may be able to go lower, but I've been dealing with some terrible Windows BSoDs that I don't think are related so I'm in the process of formatting all my drives for a fresh install. I've had some blackouts in the past couple months which I suspect caused a corruption in my windows installation.

When I get back home today, will check on it. Maybe taking some printscreens for you from the BIOS settings when having my 4.7GHz settings loaded

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile