Question about legitimacy of a graphics card

Author
Ratherbflyin
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/06/17 11:44:15 (permalink)
Hi everyone,

First time poster here (at least I don't recall ever having posted on these forums before), with a question related to a graphics card that I recently purchased and received from Amazon. I purchased a 1080 Ti card from Amazon recently, and when it arrived the seal on one side of the box the card was in looked like it had been tampered with, and the other side of the box was actually open (the seal looked like it had been very carefully cut along the edge of the box). Amazon said that they can give me a refund for the card if I send it back, but I am curious if this is something that I should be concerned about. Someone at Amazon had also conveniently placed a sticker on top of the sticker on the outside of the box that shows the serial number of the card inside the box (they do this for some items, and I have no idea why), so I cannot verify that the numbers match.

I am reasonably sure that there is nothing wrong with the card, but I don't know how to be completely certain of that. In your opinion, is this card ok to keep, or should I send it back to Amazon for a refund and purchase a replacement (the price has, of course, gone up again since I purchased this one)?

Thanks,
Tim

6 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Question about legitimacy of a graphics card 2018/06/17 12:12:26 (permalink)
    Sold by Amazon ?

Will Amazon offer an exchange ?  (then cost increase does not matter, FYI Amazon uses fluctuating prices & not fixed prices)

If the Factory seal has been broken:

Could have been buyer's remorse

Could have been a test run & unhappy with OC of card

I would want to confirm the serial numbers match: box & card

Will Amazon let you open package, because of the sticker that blocks the serial number

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Ratherbflyin
    Re: Question about legitimacy of a graphics card 2018/06/17 12:26:11 (permalink)
    The item shows "Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc.," which is the same as what I see on all of the other purchases I have made recently from Amazon that were not from a third-party seller.

I had already spoken with Amazon about the possibility of an exchange, and they said that they can't do an exchange on this item, but would be able to offer a refund if it was returned. I am perfectly fine with sending the card back and getting a refund, though I'm not too keen on having to re-purchase the card at a higher price. The item was listed as being "New," which in my mind would indicate that the box the card came in should have been fully sealed. If it had been previously sent to someone else who decided to return it for some reason, I don't know why it would still be advertised as "new," since it obviously isn't at that point. I also can't think of a good reason why a "new" card would have been shipped with a broken seal on the box, which is why I am somewhat skittish about this particular card.

If I send it back to Amazon for a refund, I think I will probably just purchase the card directly from EVGA this time (probably should have done that to begin with).

Tim
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Question about legitimacy of a graphics card 2018/06/17 14:50:51 (permalink)
    I agree it is suspicious--> and I'd return it under the circumstances you listed

- Why are box seals are broken/ Damaged - if it is "New"
    - You cannot confirm serial number because of an Amazon sticker

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Question about legitimacy of a graphics card 2018/06/17 17:56:02 (permalink)
    I would return it if you can’t verify the S/N on the box and card match also if it looks like it has been opened. You would be a refund and can buy another.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Question about legitimacy of a graphics card 2018/06/17 18:07:06 (permalink)
    Evga puts the serial number in 3 places. One on the box, one on the backplate, and one on the PCI bracket just before the gold fingers. If all three match, it should be good. If one of them isnt matching, do not accept the card and get it exchanged.
    Ratherbflyin
    Re: Question about legitimacy of a graphics card 2018/06/17 19:53:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for confirming that I was not crazy for being a little concerned about the card I received. I have requested a return and refund from Amazon, and have already placed an order for a new replacement card directly from EVGA.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Tim
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile