Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2018/06/14 10:31:11 (permalink)
https://www.kitguru.net/lifestyle/mobile/apple/ryan-burgess/apple-plans-to-turn-off-usb-data-access-on-iphones/

Apple plans to turn off USB data access if a device hasn’t been unlocked in the past hour. Police are able to use specialized equipment to get into iPhones at this time, but this change means they will not be able to use that same equipment. Personally I think this is a bad idea from Apple but of course Apple will say it's a privacy concern.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

20 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30978
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/06/14 11:00:57 (permalink)
    There should be an ability to enforce Court Orders. 

If Apple wants to play that game the DOJ should take the appropriate steps to ensure Apple Must comply with Court Orders - or their devices could possibly be Ban from sale

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/06/14 16:06:54 (permalink)
    Good.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/06/14 16:19:30 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Good.

Agreed.
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/06/14 16:27:03 (permalink)
    Apple just likes to thumb it's nose at anything law enforcement in the United States while they bend over backwards to work with real scum like China. Just another leftist tech company being complete hypocrites. Like when Apple was more concerned about the privacy of dead jihadists in California a few years ago. 
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2232
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/06/15 07:14:58 (permalink)
    Many of you social media folks who give away your privacy so that others can make billions need to look at how you live your life. It is nice to see someone actually build privacy into things. Although I care about a illegal activity, I care more about my privacy, as I do not wish to live in a police state of fear because there are other people who want to do harm. There are other ways that do not mean giving up privacy. We are a concept build on freedom, which I value more than someone’s right to have access to a “jihadists” information. I think the individual’s rights outweigh those of the masss. My privacy outweighs any reason why the masses need access to it! If you think this this a bad thing, don’t buy an Apple product. Simple. If enough do that, the company and its products vanish. Simple. Capitalism.

veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/06/15 08:34:11 (permalink)
    The right to privacy is protected by the Bill of Rights. It there to prevent the state from unreasonable search and seizure.

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/06/15 10:05:57 (permalink)
    The Bill of Rites means Jack with modem day American Corporations,  online privacy is a pipe dream now days, Corporations would loose too much cash if consumers really knew what they give up everyday just being online, most Americans just look the other way, so they get their social media or online fix.

Common sense is dead, all hail the cybermen, "Meaning, most Americans are just educated mindless sheep/drones yhat knowing give up any will power to the cyberspace/Corporations"
    panzlock
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1736
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/06/15 10:50:50 (permalink)
    knightsilver
    The Bill of Rites means Jack with modem day American Corporations,  online privacy is a pipe dream now days, Corporations would loose too much cash if consumers really knew what they give up everyday just being online, most Americans just look the other way, so they get their social media or online fix.

Common sense is dead, all hail the cybermen, "Meaning, most Americans are just educated mindless sheep/drones yhat knowing give up any will power to the cyberspace/Corporations"

Thank you.

From the very beginning I was outspoken about sites such as facebook. Too many people posting their personal information on the internet without rationalization. Only when they hear that their personal information has been used without their permission or in some other way compromised do they become outraged. Really? You morons didn't see this coming? Probably because they don't think through the distraction of posting that they're taking a dump or liking yet another inane post.

Privacy is an illusion, and on the internet it's non-existent. Now with the threat of global terrorism knocking on everyone's door this push for breaching will only intensify. Jihadists are a problem they allowed to flourish and now they need access to everyone's digital logbook to help rectify their mistakes. IF they're even making an effort in that regard. In Western Europe the self appointed governing body clearly left the general populace to die. But at least they have instagram!  :D
    seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/06/15 17:50:39 (permalink)
    Grey_Beard
    Many of you social media folks who give away your privacy so that others can make billions need to look at how you live your life. It is nice to see someone actually build privacy into things. Although I care about a illegal activity, I care more about my privacy, as I do not wish to live in a police state of fear because there are other people who want to do harm. There are other ways that do not mean giving up privacy. We are a concept build on freedom, which I value more than someone’s right to have access to a “jihadists” information. I think the individual’s rights outweigh those of the masss. My privacy outweighs any reason why the masses need access to it! If you think this this a bad thing, don’t buy an Apple product. Simple. If enough do that, the company and its products vanish. Simple. Capitalism.

Well said.

The case about the San Bernardino Islamic terrorist had nothing to do with them, it was the government using public opinion directly after an attack to get backdoor access to millions of phones. (Same people who created prism that later became the NSAs mass spying program.)
    A real lowball move.
    It’s the same as anti gun groups using the public’s emotions directly after a school shooting to get more and more gun rights removed.

As I type this behind a VPN...

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/06/16 01:15:01 (permalink)
    A lot of great points here so let me add mine to the bunch.

I'm kinda a privacy advocate and agree with this 1000%.  There are legal avenues that should be taken if one needs private info.  Anyone who disagree's with this just doesn't understand privacy nor do they care for it and those same beliefs shouldn't be pressed on others.  The "I have nothing to hide" get's tiring and only makes one look foolish imho.

For example in one instance, when Win 10 came out and I was flipping tables on their whole privacy and data minging, collection, etc.  I was called out in another forum by the misinformed masses and told, 'if you have nothing to hide what's the problem plus, no one's forcing you to use it'....... blah blah blah.  (MASSIVE FACEPALM)  I was criticing a product I've been using for at least 2 decades that had a pretty massive shift and I was being called out for it.  Mind freakin boggling. (Staying within ToS.)

As far as facebook, I know what goes on.  My settings are pretty tied down and sign out of anything.  Sure they see my clicks for advertising but that's about it.  No face recognition, blah blah blah is enabled on my account.  I use the bare minimum.  It help's being a tech savvy geek while the rest, sell the house, barn, bathroom pics, you get the picture....

The whole Zucky in DC and EU, shook things up a bit.  Maybe it was theater or those the bureaucrats had to at least act like they were doing something right for once.

As far as threats, I would worry more about hackers than anything else but that's not saying we should lessen the other threats either.  For example, Chinese hackers have been rampant on stealing IPs.  I'm sure they've got some military goodies from us.  How about those hacks in DC of all the fed employees during the BO years?  Didn't hear much after that or when corporations get hacked and decide to tell the public YEARS later and nothing is done.  Feels like the non tech savvy old folks are still guiding us in this ship but are clueless when it comes to the 21st century.  Time to get with times or we're doomed.

Just my $0.02 + $1.00 at this point.  

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3677
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/06/18 05:40:28 (permalink)
    I for one support this, considering HIPPA + most doctors and nurses use an Iphone means they are now more secure. This just helps make iphone more secure for certain certifcation requirements like HIPPA
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/07/15 15:23:46 (permalink)

With a court order from a judge, Apple should just cooperate with law enforcement. In many criminal cases, that info is valuable to find out guilt or innocence. 

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    HaywireHaywood
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 860
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/07/15 15:44:25 (permalink)
    I deactivated my facebook account a couple years ago.  I think I signed up for a twitter account to get something free once... you know, tweet that you like X and we'll give you something for it.  Probably an in-game credit of some sort.  That was the one and only time I signed on.  Someone else might be using it now for all I know.

I for one am not distrustful of the cops.  They are there for my benefit as someone who is NOT a criminal.  If they need to look through my phone, they are more than welcome. Oh, and if you don't want them to shoot you, use phrases like "yes sir" and "no sir", don't puff up like you want to whoop them during conversations, don't be a criminal, and don't hang with criminals.  That will prevent the vast majority of bullet wounds.

If a company wants to track my shopping for the purpose of showing me things that they know I will like, that just speeds up my shopping and I might find something that I didn't realize that I couldn't do without.  It's a little creepy but I can live with it.

Heatware Affiliate code: QLF0RY1CK9
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/07/15 20:06:47 (permalink)
    so much for privacy and self incrimination

seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/07/16 09:33:50 (permalink)
    XrayMan

With a court order from a judge, Apple should just cooperate with law enforcement. In many criminal cases, that info is valuable to find out guilt or innocence. 

They would have to create a backdoor that would get hacked.
    What about a court order would be ok? The gov made the fisa courts and that turned out to be a giant abuse of power.

veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/07/16 09:35:33 (permalink)
    a court has no authority to order an accused to self incriminate as protected by the 5th

transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/07/16 09:44:48 (permalink)
    veganfanatic
    a court has no authority to order an accused to self incriminate as protected by the 5th

The TSA effectively killed the 4th and 5th amendment in that respect.

You don't give up your Constitutional rights just because you decide to fly...sorry

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/07/16 09:52:47 (permalink)
    transdogmifier
    veganfanatic

The TSA effectively killed the 4th and 5th amendment in that respect.

You don't give up your Constitutional rights just because you decide to fly...sorry

The TSA is unconstitutional, it cannot take away a right

candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3677
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/07/17 04:21:43 (permalink)
    Ok one flying is not a right its a privileges, and your not giving up your rights, you are always at anytime allowed to say no I won't allow that and walk away. You won't be allowed to board a flight, but you never gave up your rights.
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Apple plans to turn off USB data access on iPhones 2018/07/17 05:32:52 (permalink)
    candle_86
    Ok one flying is not a right its a privileges, and your not giving up your rights, you are always at anytime allowed to say no I won't allow that and walk away. You won't be allowed to board a flight, but you never gave up your rights.

Sorry, a government institution implementing a search policy at an airport is incorrect...and should not be allowed.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile