EVGA

Install windows to a different drive while it's running?

Author
BranC85
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 251
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/06/06 12:25:08 (permalink)
I'm expecting to take delivery of my new SSD tomorrow and I'm trying to determine how I will install windows to it. I'm running Win 10 on a HDD but I got it as a "forced" upgrade after I installed 7 to it initially. I read that the iso file for the install disk is too big to create a DVD install disk and I dont have a blu-ray burner. I know the first suggestion will be to boot from USB but since I've never done that yet and know there are lots of people who have reported problems doing it with my MB(asrock z77), all I want to know is if it is even possible to just install it from one drive to another? Can the installer portion of the iso be opened while I am in the OS on my HDD to extract it to the SSD?

10 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Install windows to a different drive while it's running? 2018/06/06 12:32:05 (permalink)
    You would need to use drive clone software to really make the SSD the bootable drive or reinstall Windows to the SSD as the real easy options. Some SSD come with software to clone a drive so that would probably be what I would look at first but I would also back up everything just in case. Also I wouldn’t format the HDD until everything had been working fine for a week or two if you clone it. Just unplug the HDD until you are sure it’s not needed.
    post edited by Hoggle - 2018/06/06 12:34:20

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Install windows to a different drive while it's running? 2018/06/06 12:37:07 (permalink)
    Moving thread to general software subsection.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Install windows to a different drive while it's running? 2018/06/06 13:34:37 (permalink)
    When I switched from HDD to SSD, I did the drive cloning method. Worked great and was painless. You can download and use Acronis disk imager for free. That's what I used. To obtain Acronis disk imager for free, all you need is to own and have a Western Digital hard drive plugged in during the process.

https://support.wdc.com/k...se/answer.aspx?ID=3680

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102253
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Install windows to a different drive while it's running? 2018/06/06 13:49:28 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    When I switched from HDD to SSD, I did the drive cloning method. Worked great and was painless. You can download and use Acronis disk imager for free. That's what I used. To obtain Acronis disk imager for free, all you need is to own and have a Western Digital hard drive plugged in during the process.

https://support.wdc.com/k...se/answer.aspx?ID=3680

I have used Acronis in the past but I have had some issues with their software.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Install windows to a different drive while it's running? 2018/06/06 15:42:08 (permalink)
    MiniTool Partition Wizard works great and it's free.

https://www.partitionwiza...partition-manager.html

However when you install it, make sure to untick the McAfee junk during the install.

Once installed start the program and select the MiniTool Partition Wizard Free box.

Now click on the Migrate OS to SSD/HD

Then select the I would like to replace my system disk with another hard disk option and click next.

Then you will select your new drive as the Destination Disk and click next.

Follow trough with the recommended options, unless the new disk is larger, you may need to tell it to use the whole drive.
    You will end up back to this window. Nothing will happen until you click the Apply option.

Once you click Apply, it will start setting up your new drive. Then the system will need to reboot so it can copy your old drive to the new drive. Once the copy is done, shut down your system, kill the power to to your system, unplug you old drive and plug your new drive into where your old drive was. Put power back to your system, go into the bios and make sure the bios is set to boot to the new drive, save/exit the bios and you're done.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Install windows to a different drive while it's running? 2018/06/06 16:05:38 (permalink)
    Nice clear steps kram36

OP --> Select AHCI for your SSD in BIOS

I've had issues in Win 10 with a purchased copy of Acronis; kept getting an error code, that was not even listed on their website

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

PvtBlackdog
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 367
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Install windows to a different drive while it's running? 2018/06/06 20:34:13 (permalink)
    I used MiniTool Partition Wizard to clone my Raid 0 SSD's to a larger single SSD and it worked a treat. The process was simple and quick..... I did not need to re-activate my Win 10 (upgrade from Win 7) as it did so automatically. :)
    BranC85
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 251
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Install windows to a different drive while it's running? 2018/06/07 10:02:37 (permalink)
    Thank you for all of the detail in this response, it is something I will make sure to remember going forward when I am in a situation like this again. The only issue in my case is that I wanted to also be able to install the OS cleanly because of all the problems I've had with crashing. It mostly occurs in games but it has gotten to be really frustrating to crash every 30 mins or so.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Install windows to a different drive while it's running? 2018/06/07 10:27:04 (permalink)
    USB stick for the Fresh Install ---> OR this:

(excerpts from link below in "")

"Use this tool to install a clean copy of the latest version of Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro, and remove apps that you installed or came pre-installed on your PC. You’ll have the option to keep your personal files."

Start fresh with a clean installation of Windows 10

"Please make sure you have the following:
    • An internet connection to download the tool and the Windows 10 image. Internet service provider fees may apply.Sufficient data storage available on the computer you are clean installing. Note that the download and image is over 3GB."

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

NazcaC2
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 7420
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Install windows to a different drive while it's running? 2018/06/07 12:44:51 (permalink)
    Just to add -

Should you buy a Samsung SSD, they provide their in-house Data Migration Software (actually what it's called) to users and upon installation allows you to clone the live drive to SSD. You're given two options (laptop or desktop) and it's free. It's only ~40 MB and included on Samsung's website and by CD. Otherwise, Acronis above is fantastic software.

Edit: I use MiniTool for other purposes (deleting partitions and its surface test) - another great tool.
    post edited by NazcaC2 - 2018/06/07 12:48:32

Intel i9-12900K
    ASUS Prime Z690-A
    Corsair 850W RM850x
    Windows 11 Professional
    Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
    Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5 5200MHz
    EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
    4x Samsung 2TB 980 Pro SSD + 1x ADATA 512GB SU800
    Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB SIGNATURE SERIES Mid-Tower - Neon Night
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile