EVGA

Issue Resolved / Corrected by EVGA : 970 warranty / fan issue

Author
Backstagetech
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/06/01 08:02:07 (permalink)
Update: Issue has since been resolved by EVGA support team. After what was a rough and irritating process, they made it right for me. Thanks!

I bought my gtx 970 second hand beginning of 2017. Card has ran fine up until a couple weeks ago. Second fan failed - no longer even so much as "twitches" as I have seen in other youtube videos.  I registered, created a ticket and was told the receipt wasn't valid and that I was out of warranty. I called the customer service # for follow up and was treated pretty rudely and was directed to use new egg or ebay to buy third party parts to try and repair the card (this was directly from a "supervisor").  I have honestly never had worse customer service from a company that holds itself in high regard when it comes to their warranty and support after sale.  I have called and left voicemail for Joe Darwin and hopefully get some kind of contact back to discuss this situation. I attempted to email him per the bottom of the response emails and I get email bounce back both times I tried.  I work in IT and make product purchase decisions as well as help people with custom builds in my spare time. I have always pushed people to buy EVGA from all the "amazing" support stories. I even have a EVGA CLC 280mm cooler in my own build that had this card fail in it. Considering the price of new cards these days if I cannot expect a company to stand behind their product and fix something as simple as a fan on cards that cost $300+, I will be directing future purchases to other companies who will. 
post edited by Backstagetech - 2018/09/07 13:53:49

8 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Issue Resolved / Corrected by EVGA : 970 warranty / fan issue 2018/06/01 08:08:28 (permalink)
    The GTX 970 was released in 2014. That was 4 years ago. The warranty only covers up to 3 years.

The warranty for amy second hand purchase starts from the moment it leaves EVGA, not when the original owner purchased it.
    EVGATech_DanielM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1132
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Issue Resolved / Corrected by EVGA : 970 warranty / fan issue 2018/06/01 08:11:44 (permalink)
    Hello,

Please keep in mind we base the warranty off of the ship date. Because you purchased it in 2017 does not mean the warranty expires in 2020. This is stated in our warranty terms for transferable warranties. We also have stopped doing repairs on units as of July 2017 and we simply do not send out parts to customers to repair on their own. If you have any questions you can PM me for more clarity and I apologize the call to EVGA did not go so well. 
    Backstagetech
    Re: Issue Resolved / Corrected by EVGA : 970 warranty / fan issue 2018/06/01 08:28:22 (permalink)
    I know since I bought the card in 2017, that doesn't make my warranty good until 2020. The purchase date on the card was in 2016 though. Overall something as simple as a fan is not a quick and easy fix since they are proprietary and use two fans on one connector. I made sure nothing was lose no matter what I do the card sounds like a jet taking off and gets hot quickly. The one fan that has failed was making some noise here and there, and I ignored it since it came and went. I decided to make a ticket to try and get it repaired (was not aware repairs no longer were happening since 2017). At the time when I bought the card second hand everything I had read and heard just isn't lining up to what the situation actually is. As a second hand purchaser I also have no way of knowing the "ship date" nor would the seller I got it from. This is one of the few cards I have bought second hand and based off everything I have heard and read about EVGA I didn't have concerns about the warranty. Perhaps that is my mistake.  I understand there are policies but even when I called the experience over the phone was far from pleasant.  I did send a follow up email to you Daniel. I honestly have no idea if there is anything that can be done, but getting treated like a lower than 2nd rate customer and dismissed and my follow up ticket / question just closed without a follow up ("This ticket is closed by Management" is the only notation if i looked in question history) is pretty disappointing.
    EVGATech_DanielM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1132
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Issue Resolved / Corrected by EVGA : 970 warranty / fan issue 2018/06/01 08:38:12 (permalink)
    Thanks for shooting me over that email and I will respond once I take a look at all the information available to me. 
    Backstagetech
    Re: Issue Resolved / Corrected by EVGA : 970 warranty / fan issue 2018/09/07 08:19:16 (permalink)
    Never did update this post:

EVGA came through and replaced the card with a refurb 970. Thanks to everyone on EVGA who helped take care of the issue.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Issue Resolved / Corrected by EVGA : 970 warranty / fan issue 2018/09/07 11:42:00 (permalink)

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Issue Resolved / Corrected by EVGA : 970 warranty / fan issue 2018/09/07 12:11:16 (permalink)
    Nice

So, you may want to Update "edit" your title of this thread to reflect that issue has been resolved

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Issue Resolved / Corrected by EVGA : 970 warranty / fan issue 2018/09/07 14:44:02 (permalink)
    Updated title throughout the thread to match the OP's new edited title

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile