EVGA

Helpful Replysecondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from resller

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14685
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 38
2018/05/31 14:45:09 (permalink)
"Subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, the Transferable Limited Warranty is available to second-hand purchasers with a valid proof of purchase from a reseller."  http://www.evga.com/support/warranty

What does evga consider as valid proof of purchase? If a person buys a used evga video card or a used system that comes with a evga video card, from someone on craigslist or facebook, how can they make sure the transferable limited warranty one evga video cards will be honored.

I made my own topic about this to make sure evga see the question.

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/05/31 14:49:15 (permalink)
Can the original buyer provide their proof of purchase?

It is mysterious that EVGA changed this without at least a little bit of clarification.
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10102
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/05/31 14:59:46 (permalink)
Keep in mind this only effects cards registered after May 25th 2018. So if your right now looking to buy a card it might be best to go with an official partner then with a second hand card.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49167
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/05/31 15:01:40 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one

Yes. The original owner can give a copy of their invoice to the second owner.
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/05/31 16:42:13 (permalink)
Hoggle
Keep in mind this only effects cards registered after May 25th 2018. So if your right now looking to buy a card it might be best to go with an official partner then with a second hand card.

Official partners sell refurbished cards, they don't sell second hand cards. Refurbished cards have a different serial number. 

Sajin
the_Scarlet_one

That is something evga should clear up. What proof of purchase is valid. How can people doing a private sell in person still have a warranty.

post edited by MSim - 2018/05/31 16:48:27

EVGATech_DavidR
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 318
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/05/31 16:53:27 (permalink)
Second hand purchases made on or after 5/25/2018 will need to obtain the original invoice from the original buyer for warranty.

Recertified products with an RX suffix do not have transferable warranties and never have.
drewskidrewsgv
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 132
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/05/31 16:58:23 (permalink)
MSim
Hoggle

Official partners sell refurbished cards, they don't sell second hand cards. Refurbished cards have a different serial number.

The serial numbers on the refurbished cards are the same as the brand new ones and they go off of the part number that will end in -RX

MSim
Sajin
the_Scarlet_one

That is something evga should clear up. What proof of purchase is valid. How can people doing a private sell in person still have a warranty.

The proof of purchase that will be valid would be the original owners invoice. It will show in EVGA's records where the product was originally purchased from and see if it matches the invoice given by the second hand purchaser.
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/05/31 17:20:10 (permalink)
drewskidrewsgv

The serial numbers on the refurbished cards are the same as the brand new ones and they go off of the part number that will end in -RX

Refurbished is not the same a second hand. 

Refurbished = tested/inspected by the mfg
Second hand = card wasn't test/inspected by the mfg before you received it

drewskidrewsgv

The proof of purchase that will be valid would be the original owners invoice. It will show in EVGA's records where the product was originally purchased from and see if it matches the invoice given by the second hand purchaser.

EVGA has no record of the original invoice, unless the original owner uploads it or purchased the product directly from evga. EVGA uses the product S/N# to check to see which retailer sold the card. The invoice is used to make sure that information is correct.

I can already picture this causing people to be ticked off at evga for changing the warranty terms. It will probably cause them to buy a different mfg product in the future.

RchUncleSkeleton
  • Total Posts : 81
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/05/31 17:27:34 (permalink)
MSim

EVGA has no record of the original invoice, unless the original owner uploads it or purchased the product directly from evga. EVGA uses the product S/N# to check to see which retailer sold the card. The invoice is used to make sure that information is correct.

I can already picture this causing people to be ticked off at evga for changing the warranty terms. It will probably cause them to buy a different mfg product in the future.

I'm pretty sure most manufacturers require an invoice for warranty and most do not honor second hand warranties. Going to another manufacturer would not really give any advantage.

With Great Power, Comes Great Mistakes
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/05/31 20:42:19 (permalink)
RchUncleSkeleton

I'm pretty sure most manufacturers require an invoice for warranty and most do not honor second hand warranties. Going to another manufacturer would not really give any advantage.

+1

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
EVGATech_DanielM
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 1132
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/05/31 21:35:15 (permalink)
MSim

If you were to purchase a unit from another customer, you would need to ask them for the original invoice. All companies require some form of invoice. What manufacture a person chooses to buy would be completely up to them. 
Y3didya
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 219
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/01 00:12:12 (permalink)
Happen to have sold my spare KPE a few weeks ago, though in Germany.

When I sell something, I always give them a copy of the invoice, a contract between him and me where everything is written down and in Germany also a declaration that I transfer my warranty rights to the new owner. With that you should be on the safe end. Sometimes you cannot deliver the original invoice because you have other components on it which you still have.

• EVGA X299 Dark • Intel Core i9 7920X • 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 CL14 • Seasonic PRIME 80+ Platinum 850W • EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N Hydro Copper

Click here to save 3%-10% on your next EVGA purchase - My associates code is ZQ9K3H42VHCXOEM

|| Thank you justin_43, liked your Signature format so had to adapt it :)

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/01 03:55:26 (permalink)
RchUncleSkeleton
MSim

You know how people can be, if they think a company screwed them over (which evga is doing to some customers), they will buy from a different mfg/vendor in the future. They won't blame the seller, they will blame evga for changing the policy to get out from honor the warranty someone else already paid for.

EVGATech_DanielM
MSim

If you were to purchase a unit from another customer, you would need to ask them for the original invoice. All companies require some form of invoice. What manufacture a person chooses to buy would be completely up to them. 

That is true now, but before May 25th you didn't need an invoice to submit a RMA with EVGA (in select regions).

In my opinion, evga should of switched the warranty terms to "shipped from evga after May 25th 2018", you need a copy of the original warranty, not if the product wasn't registered before May 25th 2018. That would help protect evga customers who purchased a used evga card in good faith prior to the change in warranty terms.

Now people have a high chance of having NO warranty, if the original owner failed to register it and they can't get a hold of them.

Backstagetech
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/01 07:47:26 (permalink)
I already am dealing with situation with warranty. The customer service I have received is "Questionable" at best. I got the run around about the warranty and told to go buy 3rd part parts to repair my card that should still be in warranty. Never buying an EVGA graphics card again and tempted to exchange my AIO cooler from them to something like Corsair over the way they treat customers, can only imagine the BS i would have to deal with the if the cooler failed or happened to leak.... Sad day
EVGATech_DanielM
EVGA Tech Support
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/01 08:06:18 (permalink)
MSim

That is true now, but before May 25th you didn't need an invoice to submit a RMA with EVGA (in select regions).

In my opinion, evga should of switched the warranty terms to "shipped from evga after May 25th 2018", you need a copy of the original warranty, not if the product wasn't registered before May 25th 2018. That would help protect evga customers who purchased a used evga card in good faith prior to the change in warranty terms.

Now people have a high chance of having NO warranty, if the original owner failed to register it and they can't get a hold of them.

Please keep in mind that warranty terms are subject to change without notice. It states this at the bottom of the warranty page as we reserve the right to make alterations. As we have not updated our terms of service in quite some time, it was needed as the industry in general has changed. Just as with PSUs that have 10 year warranties, without the original invoice it reverts to a Standard 3 year warranty. We always entice customers to upload a form of invoice to avoid any headaches, because once again the warranty is subject to change at EVGAs discretion. 

Backstagetech
I already am dealing with situation with warranty. The customer service I have received is "Questionable" at best. I got the run around about the warranty and told to go buy 3rd part parts to repair my card that should still be in warranty. Never buying an EVGA graphics card again and tempted to exchange my AIO cooler from them to something like Corsair over the way they treat customers, can only imagine the BS i would have to deal with the if the cooler failed or happened to leak.... Sad day

If you want i'll shoot you over my email so you can give me a quick update on your current situation I would love to take a look at it. 
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/01 08:11:15 (permalink)
EVGATech_DanielM 
Backstagetech

If you want i'll shoot you over my email so you can give me a quick update on your current situation I would love to take a look at it. 

The user has made his own thread now.

Thanks for the further explanations and your assistance.
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/02 19:14:38 (permalink)
EVGATech_DanielM
MSim

Please keep in mind that warranty terms are subject to change without notice. It states this at the bottom of the warranty page as we reserve the right to make alterations. As we have not updated our terms of service in quite some time, it was needed as the industry in general has changed. Just as with PSUs that have 10 year warranties, without the original invoice it reverts to a Standard 3 year warranty. We always entice customers to upload a form of invoice to avoid any headaches, because once again the warranty is subject to change at EVGAs discretion. 

We know and have read that information. What we don't get is why evga would do it in a way that will end up screwing some customers over.  If a person bought a used evga GPU, if the card was never registered. if they can't get a hold of the original owner to get a copy of the original invoice, they now have an expensive paper weight (if the GPU messes up). I don't think that many people would buy another evga product, if they end up being screwed over because of the new warranty terms. 

The industry hasn't changed, it's evga that has changed. First a decline in service and now a decline in warranty.

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/05 07:52:20 (permalink)
Please keep posts on topic. Off topic posts will be deleted.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

EVGATech_DanielM
EVGA Tech Support
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/05 22:06:52 (permalink)
MSim
EVGATech_DanielM
MSim

We know and have read that information. What we don't get is why evga would do it in a way that will end up screwing some customers over.  If a person bought a used evga GPU, if the card was never registered. if they can't get a hold of the original owner to get a copy of the original invoice, they now have an expensive paper weight (if the GPU messes up). I don't think that many people would buy another evga product, if they end up being screwed over because of the new warranty terms. 

The industry hasn't changed, it's evga that has changed. First a decline in service and now a decline in warranty.

I apologize you feel that the service has declined. We actually work pretty hard over here to please everyone but steps must be taken so others aren't taking advantage by simply buying broken cards and trying to RMA them. It is a reason we go rid of guest RMA. Even with the new policy our warranty is still one of the best and we would understand if you do not want to buy EVGA products, we can't stop you from doing so. You are more than welcome to call in with suggestions as to how we can improve. 
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10102
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/05 22:28:03 (permalink)
I wonder if this is to help prevent huge markups. They have to show you how much they paid for the card for you to have warranty coverage.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

ipaine
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 307
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/06 08:49:12 (permalink)
EVGATech_DavidR
Second hand purchases made on or after 5/25/2018 will need to obtain the original invoice from the original buyer for warranty.

Recertified products with an RX suffix do not have transferable warranties and never have.

I get what you are saying, but the fact of the matter is you guys better change the warranty information page. What it states is this;

"is available to second-hand purchasers with a valid proof of purchase from a reseller."

In this case the reseller is the person selling the card second-hand. At no point does it say original invoice. If that is what you mean then I highly suggest you change your wording to reflect that. As it stands right now, if I sold a card (after all the dates in question) then all I have to do is provide a receipt/invoice to the person buying it from me. In this case I am the reseller and therefore all they should need is proof of purchase from me, not original invoice as you have said.

Honestly this doesn't affect me much as I tend not to sell anything until after warranty is gone anyways, but you need to make it clear that you need the original receipt from the original seller. And yes I do believe that this will negatively affect EVGA. Having a 3 year warranty is great, but honestly needing a invoice shouldn't happen. It should be 3 years (or whatever is the right amount based on product) from date of purchase if you have the invoice, and if not then just 3 years from date of manufacture. So while this is not really going to affect me personally this could affect us buying EVGA cards at work. I already have enough on my plate and the fact that some of the cards could end up without warranty if I don't upload invoices (which we don't) then I might just be forced to move to another vendor that will make things easier for us.
SGausdal
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/06 09:24:06 (permalink)
This is a pretty big change. I have invoices for most of my cards but for example I bought a 1050 ti SSC in Dec 2017 from a guy locally and do not have an invoice for this card and did not register it. Does that mean I do not have a warranty any more due to this change? I normally only register my cards when I need an RMA.
post edited by SGausdal - 2018/06/06 09:25:58
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/06 11:26:50 (permalink)
SGausdal
Does that mean I do not have a warranty any more due to this change?

No.

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/06 11:43:46 (permalink)
If you have a video card from a company like ASUS you won't be going anywhere without a proof of purchase. Same with MSI and Gigabyte. 

This is basically the industry standard. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

SGausdal
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/06 12:19:07 (permalink)
As far as I can tell, MSI and gigabyte don’t require an invoice. Asus *may* require one but it’s not clear.

So this puts evga now below MSI for warranty.
SGausdal
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/06 12:20:56 (permalink)
Sajin
SGausdal

No.

No I don’t have a warranty or no this change doesn’t affect my warranty?
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/06 12:31:40 (permalink)
SGausdal
Sajin
SGausdal

No.

It doesn't affect your warranty.
SGausdal
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/06 12:43:15 (permalink)
Sajin
SGausdal
Sajin
SGausdal

No.

I’m confused, if I didn’t register the card before May 25 and don’t have an invoice for the card, how would I prove that I bought the card before these changes took affect?

I would be super happy if my card was still under warranty like I thought it was.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/06 12:54:06 (permalink)
SGausdal
I’m confused, if I didn’t register the card before May 25 and don’t have an invoice for the card, how would I prove that I bought the card before these changes took affect?

I would be super happy if my card was still under warranty like I thought it was.

Under the old policy (before may 25 2018) secondary owners such as yourself didn't need to provide an invoice for warranty service as the warranty for secondary owners started from when the product shipped from the evga warehouse.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: secondhand purchasers warranty only vaild if you have valid proof of purchase from res 2018/06/06 15:35:26 (permalink)
SGausdal
Sajin
SGausdal
Sajin
SGausdal

No.

Good question! EVGA? Response?

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile