EVGA

Unusual cpu speeds with x299 Dark

Author
FuzzyOnion
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/05/31 06:39:11 (permalink)
Let me preface the following with the fact that this is the first pc I have built in the past 20 years.  I think my last build might have been with a Nehalem processor.  So, there is a good chance that I may be just missing something obvious.
The build consists of the x299 Dark, i9-7940x, EVGA T2 850 watt ps, Samsung EVO 960 pci M.2 SSD and Nvidia Titan xp gpu.
Both cpu power cables are connected to the x299.
I have not changed anything in the Bios other than what was necessary to install the EVO 960.  Bios at build was 1.04.  Windows 10 pro 64 installed without any problems.  To date I have power cycled the machine 16 or more times with  a total runtime of more than 100 hours.  It has been stable.
Using the Evga Eleet software, cpu temps at idle - 3.1 GHz- has been 30C.  Temps across all 14 cores range from 29C to 31C.  The cpu speed was taken from CPU-Z and the Performance section of Task Manager.  The Eleet software appears to only statically list the lowest multiplier.
I have run several iterations of Prime95 for 1, 3, and 5 hours over the past 3 weeks.  Temps range from 51C to 54C for cpu package and across all cores.
I recently downloaded and installed Intel's XTU.  I used this only to monitor temps, speed and core utilization.  When Prime95 was run, speed dropped to 3.5GHz and "Current Limit Throttling" lit up.  All temps were still in the 51C range and the XTU program reported a power dissipation of 26 watts.  I have no clue despite searching for days, what is causing this.
So, I thought I would do the 1.07 Bios update.  That went OK and again the only Bios changes I made were to enable the EVO 960 SSD.  I've made no changes with Eleet or XTU software.  I uninstalled the XTU software prior to the Bios update.
Anyway, after the Bios update the idle speed, as shown by CPU-Z and the Performance tab in Task Manager, now fluctuates constantly.  It goes from 1200MHz to 4.3GHz rapidly, along with changing cpu voltage.
I could understand some small changes occurring slowly, but this rapid "flopping" doesn't seem right.
Running Prime95, CPU-Z reports a maximum speed of 3.8GHz.  I assume this is a core 0 speed and should hit 4.4GHz, if you believe Intel's spec.

Yeah, I know this is a lot, but I'm really not sure what to try next.  Any help would be appreciated.

4 Replies Related Threads

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Unusual cpu speeds with x299 Dark 2018/05/31 08:29:33 (permalink)
    You could check in the BIOS for an AVX setting.  It could be a stock setting of ~3 - 5 or so.  Change this to "0".  Anything that uses AVX will automatically lower the clock speeds when running by whatever number it's set to in BIOS.  An AVX setting of 3 is equal to 300MHz drop, etc.  Once you change it to zero, test again to verify results.

As far as all the "flopping" you mention, I have seen this ever since I installed Windows 10.  Seems it can't sit still.  Always doing little things in the background.  If you're jumping from an idle clock of 1200 to the max "all core" clock of 4300, you can change this in the Windows Power panel options > Advanced Config > Processor Power Management.  Play around with the "Min processor state" to find the setting you like.  If you set this to something lower than 100%, the clock speed will move more in increments as the load gets greater instead of idle to max clocks.
    post edited by bdary - 2018/05/31 09:35:04

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Unusual cpu speeds with x299 Dark 2018/05/31 09:28:32 (permalink)
    Welcome to the EVGA Forums FuzzyOnion

in addition to bdary's great post above

In Win 10 pull the network connection
    W10 tends to update all the time, depending on your options & if you disabled all the stock Apps - Especially Xbox DVR 
    do a "Clean Boot" & then close all background software

Basic troubleshooting steps. Windows clean boot, clean driver install, debug mode, etc

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Unusual cpu speeds with x299 Dark 2018/05/31 10:22:05 (permalink)
    After setting the AVX ratio to 0 make sure you also disable all power saving features in the bios. Doing that will stop the flopping.
    Y3didya
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 219
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Unusual cpu speeds with x299 Dark 2018/06/01 00:07:18 (permalink)
    Also, power plan in Windows 10 to High performance, will have it run stable. Be advised though, that if you set AVX offset to 0 and you put OC on it, it will get hotter because AVX operations are heavier on the usage side than non AVX. Also Mesh comes into consideration in regards of power consumption and the likes.

Intel also uses the coolest core to put the max boost clock to it, which is not always the Core 0 ... For that you can use HWinfo or CoreTemp to read that.

• EVGA X299 Dark • Intel Core i9 7920X • 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 CL14 • Seasonic PRIME 80+ Platinum 850W • EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N Hydro Copper

Click here to save 3%-10% on your next EVGA purchase - My associates code is ZQ9K3H42VHCXOEM

|| Thank you justin_43, liked your Signature format so had to adapt it :)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile