EVGA

1080 Ti Heat Concerns

Author
Defrenski
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/05/25 17:27:49 (permalink)
So I've had my EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 since christmas, but I've noticed this week that my temps have been rather high. It currently sits and maxes out at 83°C on pretty much any game I play. I've also noticed using MSI Afterburner that my GPU usage is always at least at 90%. I've heard that this is normal, and I've also seen people say that running in the 80s is a bit hot but not unsafe, but this was in reference to Founder's Edition cards, not an aftermarket (which should be running in the low 70s according to the many reviews I've seen).

I'm assuming this is due to the usage being maxed out, because I limited my frame rate using V-sync and this brought my temps down to the 71-74°C range. This also brought down my GPU usage to about 60%. The frame rate was capped at 144Hz@1440p on Splinter Cell Blacklist at Max settings with no AA. Haven't tested any other games so far other than PlanetSide 2, but that was really the only game that I never had a heat issue with, at least on the GPU side of things.

Is there a problem here that I need to address, such as fan curve? Maybe lowering the overclock? I never messed with it, it's been at the factory OC set by EVGA.

8 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 1080 Ti Heat Concerns 2018/05/25 18:09:43 (permalink)
    What do your temps look like when running the fans on the gpu at 100%?
    Defrenski
    Re: 1080 Ti Heat Concerns 2018/05/26 14:43:41 (permalink)
    Sorry for the super late response. At 100% fan speed, the GPU's highest temp was 72°C. This was on Rainbow Six. I also managed to limit the GPU usage a bit by using EVGA Precision XOC by limiting the frame rate to 143Hz. So the temps are fine now, but is 100% fan speed sustainable? I generally play a lot, but I read a post regarding a 1060 where someone said fans can take that without a problem and that the only drawback is more noise.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: 1080 Ti Heat Concerns 2018/05/26 15:28:10 (permalink)
    Defrenski
    Sorry for the super late response. At 100% fan speed, the GPU's highest temp was 72°C. This was on Rainbow Six. I also managed to limit the GPU usage a bit by using EVGA Precision XOC by limiting the frame rate to 143Hz. So the temps are fine now, but is 100% fan speed sustainable? I generally play a lot, but I read a post regarding a 1060 where someone said fans can take that without a problem and that the only drawback is more noise.

Generally speaking, ambient temps and case airflow are what drive temperature differentials between users with the same model GPU. By default the GPU is designed to run ~80-82C under load. It's been this way for many generations. I think some try to translate typical CPU temps of ~50C and see a GPU running at 80C and think OMGBBQ~~!! it's running too hot. It's by design. Of course we'd all like lower temps and less noise.  Which brings me back to what you can control: case cooling. A simple way to check if perhaps some extra fans for case cooling would help is to remove the side panel (if you have one, more system details would be handy) and direct a fan toward the GPU and see what happens to your GPU temps and fan speeds under load.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Defrenski
    Re: 1080 Ti Heat Concerns 2018/05/26 15:43:34 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    Defrenski

Generally speaking, ambient temps and case airflow are what drive temperature differentials between users with the same model GPU. By default the GPU is designed to run ~80-82C under load. It's been this way for many generations. I think some try to translate typical CPU temps of ~50C and see a GPU running at 80C and think OMGBBQ~~!! it's running too hot. It's by design. Of course we'd all like lower temps and less noise.  Which brings me back to what you can control: case cooling. A simple way to check if perhaps some extra fans for case cooling would help is to remove the side panel (if you have one, more system details would be handy) and direct a fan toward the GPU and see what happens to your GPU temps and fan speeds under load.

In regards to ambient temperature, we keep the thermostat in the mid 70s, but my room is always warmer (or colder if it's winter) than the rest of the house. I also live in Texas and the temperature outside is definitely starting to ramp up.

As for my case, it's an NZXT S340 ATX Mid Tower. There is a side panel, but I don't think there are any areas left for more fans, unless I'm able to put fans on the front side where my liquid cooling fan is. If there's any other specifics or system details you need let me know.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 1080 Ti Heat Concerns 2018/05/26 16:57:01 (permalink)
    Defrenski
    but is 100% fan speed sustainable?

Yep.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: 1080 Ti Heat Concerns 2018/05/26 20:15:46 (permalink)
    Defrenski
    HeavyHemi
    Defrenski

In regards to ambient temperature, we keep the thermostat in the mid 70s, but my room is always warmer (or colder if it's winter) than the rest of the house. I also live in Texas and the temperature outside is definitely starting to ramp up.

As for my case, it's an NZXT S340 ATX Mid Tower. There is a side panel, but I don't think there are any areas left for more fans, unless I'm able to put fans on the front side where my liquid cooling fan is. If there's any other specifics or system details you need let me know.

If I read you correctly, you're running a CPU AIO in the front as intake? The advantage of that is a cooler CPU but a hotter GPU because that warm air going through the CPU rad is the same air that is now 'cooling' your GPU.    I finally (got old) and gave in and went with a full tower.  It's so much easier to work on and leaves you room for more options.  Considering your setup your temps seem about where they should be.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Defrenski
    Re: 1080 Ti Heat Concerns 2018/05/27 09:02:04 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    Defrenski
    HeavyHemi
    Defrenski

If I read you correctly, you're running a CPU AIO in the front as intake? The advantage of that is a cooler CPU but a hotter GPU because that warm air going through the CPU rad is the same air that is now 'cooling' your GPU.    I finally (got old) and gave in and went with a full tower.  It's so much easier to work on and leaves you room for more options.  Considering your setup your temps seem about where they should be.

Well that's good to hear. Switching my fan speed to 100% and setting a frame rate limiter to all of my games has also made a big improvement. Maybe I'll bite the bullet sometime and move everything into a full tower down the line.

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated :)
    mark_thaddeus
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 166
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: 1080 Ti Heat Concerns 2018/05/28 14:28:46 (permalink)
    Defrenski
    Well that's good to hear. Switching my fan speed to 100% and setting a frame rate limiter to all of my games has also made a big improvement. Maybe I'll bite the bullet sometime and move everything into a full tower down the line.

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated :)

Yeah, I basically have the same setup as you with my H400i from NZXT (basically almost the same layout as the S340) and my GPU temps while gaming are more or less the same (Before going to the hybrid kit). Have you tried putting the rad for your CPU up top (not sure if the S340 has space up there) and place 2 intake fans up front? That should help bring down your GPU temps but would definitely push your CPU temps up a bit (1-3*C). That should help with noise than going 100% with your fans when gaming.  
    post edited by mark_thaddeus - 2018/05/28 14:31:09

4.6 Ghz 4790k - Z97I Plus - 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid - 16 GB HyperX Savage 2133 DDR3 -  Crucial MX500 1 TB - Seasonic SS 660XP Platinum
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile