Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners

Author
kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 72
2018/05/17 14:06:19 (permalink)
Interesting article. Soon as nVidia drops the 11 series, these worries will disappear.

https://verifiedtopics.com/nvidia-braces-itself-for-rough-ride-following-lower-demand-from-miners/

I found this guy on youtube talking about this and thought he has a pretty good take on it.

https://youtu.be/qNIxfxVf4pA?t=4m9s

24 Replies Related Threads

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/17 19:18:13 (permalink)
    Fake news 

ILikeBeans
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3429
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/17 22:04:52 (permalink)
     I don't agree, Nvidia had record braking earnings this last quarter surpassing expectations in every platform even in AI development. Nvidia is bigger then mining. I'm not worried about a drop in mining sales, I'm not even worried about the 11 series.

W7 Pro 64, MSI X99A Godlike , I7-6850K, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz 32GB, Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 and 850 EVO 1TB SATA, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Corsair AX1200W, Acer Predator X34 and Oculus.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/17 22:29:30 (permalink)
    I am not really worried since literally they don’t seem to have increased supply much to account for miners which is why people complained the cards are impossible to find in stock for several months now. I don’t see us seeing a flood of unsold cards other then probably people trying to unload what they bought on eBay.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/17 22:47:39 (permalink)

I'm sure Nvidia doesn't need to worry about profits. They make a lot of money.   

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/17 23:15:13 (permalink)

but.. but.. I thought miners had no impact on NVidia sales and product availability. 

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21173
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/18 01:23:03 (permalink)
    Nereus

but.. but.. I thought miners had no impact on NVidia sales and product availability. 

Give it a rest dude. Go troll somewhere else. Miners have had a very small impact. Research the statistics for yourself. Until you are ready to do the work and stop following every ill-informed tabloid news story from sources as ill-informed as yourself, go find some other topic to troll. (TOS addressed Cool GTX)

It's quite obvious that you have no interest in being informed and are instead just trying to flame since you post that nonsense flamebait image in spam posts every couple of days; but then when someone challenges you with the facts, you disappear to some other mining-related thread to start the trolling all over again. There is no sense in repeating the paragraphs of facts explaining why you are wrong; just look in the wreckage of any of the threads you have already (TOS addressed Cool GTX) on.

Find a mining thread, and there's Nereus with one sentence and a giant stupid image.

No one said that miners have had no impact. Every sale has an impact. But the fact of the matter is that many fewer NVIDIA cards were sold to miners compared to gamers, enterprise, workstation, or productivity. So, give it a rest dude. Change your image to say gamers or datacenters or something.

(TOS addressed by Cool GTX)
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2018/05/18 07:04:31

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

redleader00
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 906
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/18 02:50:00 (permalink)
    Nvidia will just go to where it was before the mining boom, which is still in a very good place.

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/18 03:29:32 (permalink)
    ty_ger, no need for the personal insults.  

I believe miners played a role but I believe they can't prove on how many, maybe a rough estimate at best as all you can do is see these massive ridiculous mining farms in ones home via youtube and the likes.  Let's not forget, that doesn't include businesses and firms.  One person owning 20 GPUs is like 20 different households having them in comparison.  While many had different quantities, they still affected the availability but that's not to say that the mfger's didn't play a role since they might have held back on restocking because cost would be higher and they wouldn't make as much, let alone risk making them and being stuck with them say if the mining craze decreased substantially as we are seeing now.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/18 03:50:08 (permalink)

LOL, dude if miners weren't so incredibly defensive about it I wouldn't be poking fun at you. Your response here is just another example of the defensiveness - which, as we all know, always works when trying to refute someone else's statement... lol.

Hell, in another thread I even said that if I was a miner my response would be, "yeah, we miners bought a huge number of GPU's and the supply couldn't meet the increased demand. So what?" Not your fault NVidia couldn't keep up. See how easy that is? Why is making such a basic and obvious statement such a huge problem for you guys, particularly when even NVidia itself agrees with it! Being a miner doesn't make you a bad person lol, but apparently you feel bad about it, and that's ok too (I guess it's the gamer in you warring with the miner in you), but the heavy denial and defensiveness in the face of supporting statements even from NVidia itself just makes you a target for ridicule. Don't fight it dude, it's bigger than the both of us.. lol.

So on a parting note:

Have a nice day dude, Happy Friday!

(edit Cool GTX)
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2018/05/18 07:16:12

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/18 06:57:14 (permalink)
    temp lock for review   Unlocking for Now

Reminder - expressing your point of view is great as long as you follow the EVGA Forum Terms of Use at ALL times

Forum Etiquette 

Members are expected to treat each other with respect, and be courteous of each other's opinions and advice, regardless of his or her relative experience. Although lively discussion is encouraged among members, there are seven things that will not be tolerated: 
    • Inappropriate Language - The EVGA forums are family-friendly.  Many members have children who also view these forums, and these forums are intended to be accommodating to them, as well.  Profanity is not permitted in pictures or posts on the forums and will earn a warning if posted. Discussion of bodily functions, whether vulgar or humorous, is inappropriate for these forums.  Moreover, using acronyms or censoring the word by use of characters to mask profanity or other inappropriate language will not be tolerated.  This applies to text, pictures, videos, or any external links contained in a post.  Finally, users whose usernames containing inappropriate language or references to illegal activity will be given a chance to change their username, or it will be changed for them.
    • Personal Attacks - Personal attacks often lead to the trading of insults, and can throw the discussion of a legitimate topic off-track.  Personal attacks can be defined as issuing a single or repeated personal attack or attacks aimed at another member, rather than at their opinions or ideas.  Criticizing a member's post is not considered a personal attack, but using terms such as "child," "idiot," "fanboy," for example, or any other derogatory term designed to discredit a member, is not permitted.  Furthermore, comments of a racist or sexist nature, as well as derogatory comments about national origin or sexual orientation, will be dealt with harshly as in a ban from the forums.
    • Trolling - Trolling can be defined as when a member posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages with the primary intent or consequence of provoking other users into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. Trolling can also be accomplished by harassing another member by following them through various threads, creating threads directed at another member or group of members, or intentionally creating the same thread in various forums despite being warned or told to post in the correct forum.  Members who feel they are being "trolled" should contact a moderator immediately, as this is the only effective way to prevent this behavior.
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2018/05/18 07:16:49

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

whisperingshadow
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 158
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/18 08:42:44 (permalink)
    I would say they are fine...Miners allowed them to hike GPU prices up a few hundred bucks...so i would expect the 11x series cards to be a few hundred more than the 10x at release...so PLENTY of profit :)

i7 8700k,z370 FTW, Ballistix 32gb ddr4, 3080 Hybrid ftw ultra, 2x-512gb 970 evo, Lian Li o11 Dynamixc XL, clc 280, 850 G3, z370 FTW, 27" Predator IPS Gsync
     https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/57041776?

Associate code for a discount for you  BGEX2DBF0D
    (old/rebuilt)"RE-VGA" i7 8700k,z370 FTW, Ballistix 32gb ddr4, 1080 Hybrid, 2x-512gb 970 evo, DG77, clc 280, 850 G3, z370 FTW, 27" Predator IPS Gsync

(old Pc)q6600 @ 3ghz Evga 680sli win10 with 8gb Ram,60gb ssd(OS), 74gb raptor(game), 320gb sata (storage)Evga GTX 980 sc,750w PSU

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/18 09:02:38 (permalink)
    Miners are not going to keep paying the inflated video card prices, the ROI just isn't there right now. With current video card prices, if you don't already have a video card to mine with, you're better off straight up buying Bitcoin right now then buying a video card. This is why prices have come down and cards are in stock. Even miners going from the 10 series to the 11 series may be hard for them to justify. There are ASIC miners coming out that will be taking a big bite into video card profits. I think a lot of people, miners and gamers are in a hold pattern right now. The prices of cards will go up due to memory prices, but I don't see nVidia raising the prices based off of what happened during the mining craze late last year, early this year.
    KLEYBA
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 936
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/18 09:18:44 (permalink)
    Yep, this never happened before... So it's definitely miners who drove supply down and prices high.

On a good note, God said miners aren't allowed in heaven, so....
    panzlock
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1736
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/18 10:14:38 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

• Personal Attacks - Personal attacks often lead to the trading of insults, and can throw the discussion of a legitimate topic off-track.  Personal attacks can be defined as issuing a single or repeated personal attack or attacks aimed at another member, rather than at their opinions or ideas.  Criticizing a member's post is not considered a personal attack, but using terms such as "child," "idiot," "fanboy," for example, or any other derogatory term designed to discredit a member, is not permitted.  Furthermore, comments of a racist or sexist nature, as well as derogatory comments about national origin or sexual orientation, will be dealt with harshly as in a ban from the forums

Just to reiterate on a point often overlooked, if you call someone an idiot for being an idiot, it's not an insult. It's an observation.

Slimshiesty
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2933
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/18 11:42:46 (permalink)
    KLEYBA
    Yep, this never happened before... So it's definitely miners who drove supply down and prices high.

On a good note, God said miners aren't allowed in heaven, so....

Darn....
    lot of peeps with high priced gpus...gonna burn in hell.
    Unless they ask for forgiveness! 

I did like how 8 months ago there was 3/4 the page covered in gpu's, and everyone on the local CL was asking $700+ for a GTX 1070.
    Now you cant sell a 1080ti used for more than $650, and there is maybe 1 ad for a gpu.
    Dont think miners or low stock had anything to do with it...must have been Trump.

CPU  Intel i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz 
    MB   MSI Z170A Gaming 7
    GPU  EVGA GTX 1070ti FTW2
    MEM Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000 2X8GB
    PSU  EVGA Supernova 850 G2
    CASE Thermaltake View 31 TG

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21173
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/18 11:58:51 (permalink)
    Nereus

LOL, dude if miners weren't so incredibly defensive about it I wouldn't be poking fun at you. Your response here is just another example of the defensiveness - which, as we all know, always works when trying to refute someone else's statement... lol.

Hell, in another thread I even said that if I was a miner my response would be, "yeah, we miners bought a huge number of GPU's and the supply couldn't meet the increased demand. So what?" Not your fault NVidia couldn't keep up. See how easy that is? Why is making such a basic and obvious statement such a huge problem for you guys, particularly when even NVidia itself agrees with it! Being a miner doesn't make you a bad person lol, but apparently you feel bad about it, and that's ok too (I guess it's the gamer in you warring with the miner in you), but the heavy denial and defensiveness in the face of supporting statements even from NVidia itself just makes you a target for ridicule. Don't fight it dude, it's bigger than the both of us.. lol.

So on a parting note:

(edit Cool GTX)

I would hardly say that I am a miner, but ok. I have one laptop mining sometimes. I am actually quite against mining on principle, but also think it is very unfair for one group of people to blame another group of people when they are unable to buy the product they desire; especially when the numbers, third party research, and usage statistics don't support that belief. I think that cryptocurrency has so far been wasteful and bad for society overall. Happy Saturday from the big sandy suck on the other side of the world!
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/05/18 13:12:21

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/18 13:02:01 (permalink)
    I'm not anti cryptocurrency in any form or fashion as long as it stays a decentralized currency with zero control by any country. Honestly, we need this.
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/19 12:06:47 (permalink)
    what a crazy past 6 months it has been, it was a perfect storm and nvidia came out a winner in profits, which im kinda torn about. on one hand it was a whole lot of suck that prices got so jacked up but on the other as someone that has nvidia stock i am happy as their stock price has been very bullish, made my retirement account look real good. now if they can keep up with demand from here on out maybe prices will stabilize finally.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/19 12:09:54 (permalink)
    Nereus

So on a parting note:

(edit Cool GTX)

lol miners and vegans get so defensive if you say anything bad about them

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/19 16:44:58 (permalink)
    quadlatte

LMAO! Yes vegans too!

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/19 16:52:17 (permalink)
    Nereus
    quadlatte

LMAO! Yes vegans too!

Gee I wonder why? It's not like miners are attacked by gamers all the time or anything like that. For the record I have begun to mine myself.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/19 17:35:48 (permalink)
    I see ALOT of 1080Tis on ebay.  5 pages worth...........and don't forget, anyone who says you will get a new, like new or used GPU with a 3 year warranty is lying through their teeth (fingers).  Don't forget they are 2nd hand purchases at that point whether they are new GPUs or not.  Only if they are an authorized dealer you can get the full warranty.  

Oh and lots of those EVGA GPU FTW3 AIO coolers.  Those scalpers might regret it.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/19 18:05:24 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    I see ALOT of 1080Tis on ebay.  5 pages worth...........and don't forget, anyone who says you will get a new, like new or used GPU with a 3 year warranty is lying through their teeth (fingers).  Don't forget they are 2nd hand purchases at that point whether they are new GPUs or not.  Only if they are an authorized dealer you can get the full warranty.  

Oh and lots of those EVGA GPU FTW3 AIO coolers.  Those scalpers might regret it.

I believe the warranty follows the card these days, not the owner - at least with EVGA cards, but yeah I see what you mean. The warranty is from the purchase date from an authorized dealer, so even if they claim it is a 'new' card, because it's coming from a private EBay seller the warranty will likely start from the date it left the EVGA factory, not from when it was purchased from some EBay clown. I don't know about other brands.

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Nvidia Braces Itself for Rough Ride Following Lower Demand from Miners 2018/05/19 18:32:03 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer

I see them too. Still not low enough in price for me to jump. I'm waiting on the 11 series to hit and hoping I can get me some 1080 Ti Founders Edition cards at $500 shipped. I'll be taking the air cooler off of them and putting water blocks on them, so for most companies, besides EVGA, I'll be voiding the warranty anyways.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile