EVGA

New Sony 4K Projector EDID Problem - Scrambles Desktop Every Turn On!

Author
MWHDVideo
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 130
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/05/07 18:00:27 (permalink)
I just installed a new Sony VPL VW675ES DCI 4K projector in our screening room. We drive it with a dual Xeon editing workstation with a Titan X GPU. The primary monitor is a HP LP3065 on dual link DVI. 4K editing monitor is a LG 31MU97-B on Displayport. The projector is on HDMI port.
Problem is, when I turn the projector on, all the monitors blink out and an come back on, but the desktop moves to the projector. Worse still, I lose tablet coordinates on the Wacom Intuos. The mapping has moved to the projector as well, and I can't do anything because I can't see the remote projection screen. It's a nightmare every time this happens.

I spent enormous money on an Extron switcher that is supposed to store EDIDs, but it doesn't have a profile that works properly with this projector.

I recently popped a Black Magic Design Intensity Pro 4K card into the machine and hooked the projector to that. It solves the desktop scrambling, but the problem is it cannot output DCI 4K. When Premiere has a DCI 4K project open, it outputs a black screen. Other problem is that card tops out at 30P.

I am wondering if a second (single slot) GPU could be used as a dedicated 4K 60P output for the projector?

Short of that, is there another way to stop the Windows desktop from evacuating from the desktop display when the projector is powered on?

6 Replies Related Threads

seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: New Sony 4K Projector EDID Problem - Scrambles Desktop Every Turn On! 2018/05/08 17:38:21 (permalink)
    Hey MWH,
    The problem with devices that store the EDID is that they never work or the HDCP never passes.

What you want is the KeyDigital KD-Pro4x1
    It’s a 4K 4 in 1 out switch with audio out (digital coax and 3.5mm analog).
    The special part is the EDID switch, let’s you select a fixed output and leave it there.
    I have installed hundreds of these, it’s a solid purchase.
    Does 4K 4:4:4 up to 60Hz.
    It’s IR, RS-233, and IP
    Works with Savant, Crestron, Control4, RTI and just about everyone else.

http://www.keydigital.com...Pro4x1&Company=KEY

seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: New Sony 4K Projector EDID Problem - Scrambles Desktop Every Turn On! 2018/05/08 17:43:14 (permalink)
    Ha just saw the projector, I’m using the same one at a client’s house with this same switcher mentioned above.
    (If you’re using Savant the new driver is from my request.)

Also this being a newer projector is your HDMI cable rated for 4K 4:4:4@60?
    What brand is it and how long is it.
    (Are you using an HDMI cable or a HDMI over Cat balun?)
    post edited by seth89 - 2018/05/08 18:00:27

MWHDVideo
    Superclocked Member
    Re: New Sony 4K Projector EDID Problem - Scrambles Desktop Every Turn On! 2018/05/09 11:26:36 (permalink)
    That KeyDigital KD-Pro4x1 looks to have the exact same feature set as the Extron 4K Plus, so I'm a bit skeptical that it would offer a different experience.

The problems we're having with Extron's switcher are two-fold: when switching inputs, both connected computers' displays blink out and then the come back on with the desktop moved to the projector for the PC that is connected to the selected input. The other problem is that of the dozen or so EDID profiles in the Extron configuration software, none of them seem right. Even the 4K60P 4:2:0 profile doesn't produce a picture and the projector says "frequency out of range".

Yet, if I put back the Monoprice Blackbird HDMI switcher, the projector works at 4K60P reliably. Just that the desktops go haywire whenever the input is switched, or the projector is turned on.

All of the cables are 4K certified Monoprice cables. The runs are 6' from NLE to switch and 15' from switch to projector.

Somehow, this whole technology is a lot more going on than just switching inputs.. it's doing HDCP, resolution conversion, and EDID management all in one switcher. Sometimes I think it'd be better if we had dry contact relays doing the switching.

As far as switchers go, I've had my fill of them. Not to mention the hassle it took to find a seller who would sell to me, as Extron won't sell to end users. I'm currently in the phase of trying to return it and get my $500 back.

If only I had invested $6000 in a Quadro M6000, I could probably do the EDID management in the card. But the Intensity Pro 4K experience has taught me that if I can isolate the projector to a separate graphics adapter, Windows isn't disturbed when the projector comes online.

I really wish nVidia would fix this problem with their multi output cards!
    seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: New Sony 4K Projector EDID Problem - Scrambles Desktop Every Turn On! 2018/05/09 14:52:21 (permalink)
    Have you tried AMDs eyefinity software with a AMD GPU?
    That stuff is pretty good for multi monitors.

MWHDVideo
    Superclocked Member
    Re: New Sony 4K Projector EDID Problem - Scrambles Desktop Every Turn On! 2018/05/09 18:31:39 (permalink)
    No, I've been using nVidia gear for about the past 20 years. I have a Titan X in there now. 

Black Magic Design's Decklink can do DCI 4K, but it has only SDI connections... so still looking for a decent single slot card that will do 4K 60P output. Not sure if there's anything to be gained by having a second GPU without SLI.. not sure if Adobe software will even USE the second GPU.

MWHDVideo
    Superclocked Member
    Re: New Sony 4K Projector EDID Problem - Scrambles Desktop Every Turn On! 2018/05/14 12:26:50 (permalink)
    B&H has a discount on this EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC card. It's a dual slot card, but if I remove Intensity Pro 4K card, it should fit. It's $229. Has one HDMI 2.0b port, so if it acts independent of my other GPU, switching projector on/off shouldn't disturb the desktop on the other GPU's outputs.

Is this a good card for this price?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile