Helpful ReplyA few questions about step-up

Author
Polycount
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/04/23 15:28:07 (permalink)
Hi, folks - a couple days ago, I submitted a request for a Step-Up from my recently-purchased GTX 1080 to a 1080 Ti. I've been processed through the queue and EVGA is now reviewing my invoice.

I figured now is the best time to ask a few questions about the process so I don't screw myself or EVGA over.
  • What does EVGA mean by "return the original accessories"? I know they aren't referring to posters and the like, but the issue is, I don't actually remember all of what came with the card. Did an HDMI/DP cord come with it? Can't remember. I have all of the original parts, but because I'm a huge computer geek, I also have a ton of other parts all over the place as well. I can't be sure whether or not the cords I have lying around are the ones EVGA gave me or not. I'd hate for my step-up to be rejected because of something as insignificant as this.
  • How should you package the card if you have the original box, but not the original packaging? I haven't actually shipped something in the mail for a very, very long time. Can I just buy packing material and try to keep it reasonably safe?
  • How can I ship the card back as fast as possible (US residents)? Which company should I use (if any - maybe just USPS)?
Thanks in advance, folks.
Tech_RayH
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 834
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: A few questions about step-up 2018/04/23 16:29:58 (permalink)
Thank you for the questions.
For original accessories, that would be mostly the dual 6 pin PCIE to 8 Pin PCIE adapters. DP to HDMI adapter would only come with a GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition card. If you are not able to locate those adapters, we would not deny the Step-Up. We are more concerned with the card arriving safely.
That brings us to packing. If you have the plastic clamshell and retail (thin cardboard) box for the card, please put the card in both then put those in a larger shipping box with at least two inches of additional packaging between the retail box and the shipping box.
As for couriers, any is fine, we just recommend that you purchase full insurance as the package can be lost or damaged in transit.
Couriers like UPS and Fedex offering boxing services and taht may be a good option if you do not have a good shipping box and packing materials.

...an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum.
- Adlai E. Stevenson

Polycount
Superclocked Member
Re: A few questions about step-up 2018/04/23 16:56:02 (permalink)
EVGATech_RayH
Thank you for the questions.
For original accessories, that would be mostly the dual 6 pin PCIE to 8 Pin PCIE adapters. DP to HDMI adapter would only come with a GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition card. If you are not able to locate those adapters, we would not deny the Step-Up. We are more concerned with the card arriving safely.
That brings us to packing. If you have the plastic clamshell and retail (thin cardboard) box for the card, please put the card in both then put those in a larger shipping box with at least two inches of additional packaging between the retail box and the shipping box.
As for couriers, any is fine, we just recommend that you purchase full insurance as the package can be lost or damaged in transit.
Couriers like UPS and Fedex offering boxing services and taht may be a good option if you do not have a good shipping box and packing materials.

Thanks very much for the response.

I have the original EVGA box that shipped my card and the PSU I purchased, as well as the original card box, but I do not know if I have the internal plastic clamshell stuff you mention. I'll look around but I may have tossed it (I always keep the boxes, though).

Is that essential? Maybe I could get some foam and cut out a space for it?
post edited by Polycount - 2018/04/23 17:01:31
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10103
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: A few questions about step-up 2018/04/23 17:55:17 (permalink)
If you do not have the clam shell I would contact support for instructions. Foam would not be good since it can carry an electric charge.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Polycount
Superclocked Member
Re: A few questions about step-up 2018/04/23 19:14:18 (permalink)
Hoggle
If you do not have the clam shell I would contact support for instructions. Foam would not be good since it can carry an electric charge.

So, I'm an idiot. I actually do have it. I was confused by EVGA's wording. They just need the weird black cardboard box that the card came in, as well as the exterior box with all the fancy logos and such. I have both of those, so I should be totally fine.

I did contact support, so I suppose I'll have to tell them to cancel the ticket lol.

Thanks!
Polycount
Superclocked Member
Re: A few questions about step-up 2018/04/28 15:05:54 (permalink)
As an update, my step-up is all but complete. I upgraded to a 1080 Ti and it arrives Monday. The whole process basically happened inside of a week. Very, very happy with EVGA right now - shipping was quick and painless, and insuring the package was super cheap.
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: A few questions about step-up 2018/04/28 15:10:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Polycount 2018/04/28 17:40:57

Evga = FTW!!!           

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile