EVGA

Can a cable modem/router use a 3rd Party VOIP device for home phone service?

Author
Digital_Fuzion
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 630
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2018/04/22 08:23:41 (permalink)
I will be working from home soon. The company requires internet and home phone service. I've bundled the phone service with my internet provider. I want to know if I can use my current Net gear Nighthawk Modem/router all-in-one model version NETGEAR C6900
https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C6900.aspx

Note, It does not have a phone jack/port on the back of it. It only has Ethernet connections. Is there a specialized VOIP adapter or some third party device add-on that I can purchase to connect to the back of my current modem that acts like a phone jack/phone system for VOIP? I really like my gaming modem/router and don't want to switch out to another lesser quality modem/router with a phone jack built into the modem. What are my options and what would really works for the hardware configuration I'm seeking. Does it even exist? I heard that I might need a new router/modem with the built in phone support. I'm not sure but if there is such a device that would work with my current setup that would be great.

Options for consideration is this device.

Cisco 2 Port Phone Adapter

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA36Z3WG5743&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Network+-+Wireless+Adapters-_-9SIA36Z3WG5743&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5fDWBRDaARIsAA5uWThu-iatixUMXr75JnSByvJTWzVenAp2VyZImYgv4QeNiCbNm2OAqQwaAuLhEALw_wcB

post edited by Digital_Fuzion - 2018/04/22 10:35:35

Attached Image(s)

14 Replies Related Threads

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Can a cable modem/router use a 3rd Party VOIP device for home phone service? 2018/04/22 12:07:08 (permalink)
    If no ones able to help you, check out http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18917
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Can a cable modem/router use a 3rd Party VOIP device for home phone service? 2018/04/22 12:40:18 (permalink)

Who is your ISP? You should probably be asking them. With my current ISP, I had a choice of them supplying just a modem, or a modem & router combined. I use their modem only (which also provides the phone jack and the cable tv jack), and then I connect my router to the modem and run all our wireless devices and hardwired desktops through my own router.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

mike406
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 904
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: Can a cable modem/router use a 3rd Party VOIP device for home phone service? 2018/04/22 20:26:32 (permalink)
    One solution is to ask your cable provider for a telephone/EMTA modem, and you can still use your C6900 for internet access. I did this at my apartment with my own Arris modem combined with an EMTA modem provided by my ISP. You will need a coax connection to both modems however, so either you will need to have them run another coax line, or split your existing coax behind the modem using a cable splitter. Keep in mind if you go the splitter route, you will have some signal loss which could potentially impact internet performance.
    post edited by mike406 - 2018/04/22 20:48:35

Associate Code: 6KIMUJ06W8WFDR5 (5-10% off your purchase)              

Digital_Fuzion
    SSC Member
    Re: Can a cable modem/router use a 3rd Party VOIP device for home phone service? 2018/04/25 13:07:58 (permalink)
    These are all great suggestions and tips. I look forward to doing so much with the information provided. Thank you! :)
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Can a cable modem/router use a 3rd Party VOIP device for home phone service? 2018/04/26 00:25:53 (permalink)
    The short answer is no, while there are ATA adapters from Cisco and such they work only with certain systems, your setup sounds like they will be giving you a POTS line service off their modem/router. Now if they offer a SIP service your options are better since you can then use a SIP phone that will register with them. Is the company providing a IP phone with VPN? If not then you may be stuck using what the ISP provides.
    Correction, i totally mis-read what you asked, the answer is maybe, if they allow standalone ATA device like you listed then yes. depending what they charge you per month it may be better to go with another provider, most of those include the ATA
    post edited by quadlatte - 2018/05/05 12:04:06

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    Digital_Fuzion
    SSC Member
    Re: Can a cable modem/router use a 3rd Party VOIP device for home phone service? 2018/04/27 12:12:45 (permalink)
    Nereus

Who is your ISP? You should probably be asking them. With my current ISP, I had a choice of them supplying just a modem, or a modem & router combined. I use their modem only (which also provides the phone jack and the cable tv jack), and then I connect my router to the modem and run all our wireless devices and hardwired desktops through my own router.

Comcast is my provider.
    Digital_Fuzion
    SSC Member
    Re: Can a cable modem/router use a 3rd Party VOIP device for home phone service? 2018/04/27 12:14:58 (permalink)
    mike406
    One solution is to ask your cable provider for a telephone/EMTA modem, and you can still use your C6900 for internet access. I did this at my apartment with my own Arris modem combined with an EMTA modem provided by my ISP. You will need a coax connection to both modems however, so either you will need to have them run another coax line, or split your existing coax behind the modem using a cable splitter. Keep in mind if you go the splitter route, you will have some signal loss which could potentially impact internet performance.

If they do then I'm also very certain they would have me pay a monthly lease rental fee for any related EMTA Modem hardware.
    mike406
    SSC Member
    Re: Can a cable modem/router use a 3rd Party VOIP device for home phone service? 2018/04/27 22:07:03 (permalink)
    Digital_Fuzion
    mike406

If they do then I'm also very certain they would have me pay a monthly lease rental fee for any related EMTA Modem hardware.

Depends on Comcast's terms. I have Spectrum and was not charged for the EMTA equipment as they do not have a modem rental fee.

Digital_Fuzion
    SSC Member
    Re: Can a cable modem/router use a 3rd Party VOIP device for home phone service? 2018/04/29 21:30:12 (permalink)
    Comcast Xfinity does not offer any free EMTA equipment. The IP/Mac address must come from the same modem so they claim. Attached is an image of the model line-ups for me to choose from. Does anyone know if they are sold has refurbished online cheap? All these combo wireless/modem/router/phone cost more then an average wireless high-end router/modem combo.

post edited by Digital_Fuzion - 2018/04/29 21:32:23

Attached Image(s)

jeffro66
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6912
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Can a cable modem/router use a 3rd Party VOIP device for home phone service? 2018/04/30 02:23:06 (permalink)
    with cable you have to have 2 different ones a router ones a phone modem with dsl it's all built into one modem of course I know the speeds are worse.

ps: I work for phone company while taking some spectrum modems loose I've noticed some are built into one now i'm sure your isp has them to!
    post edited by jeffro66 - 2018/04/30 02:27:38

case;Phanteks Enthoo 719 High Performance Full Tower  i9-12900ks MSI MPG Z690 CARBON WIFI kingston fury beast 64gig rgb ddr5
     lian li 360b galahad aio
     ,Nvidia RTX4090 FE
    ,super flower 1000 platinium power supply,wd black M.2 2TB NVMe,windows11 -LG ultragear 38 inch ips monitor 
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Can a cable modem/router use a 3rd Party VOIP device for home phone service? 2018/05/03 21:25:16 (permalink)
    I would start here https://getvoip.com/residential/. if you want to use multiple phones then a voip to analog ATA device would be best, that would let you use standard phones and even fax if needed, if you just want one phone with maybe software clients for pc and mobile devices then you could get SIP phones that route back to their service. price start pretty cheap but can go up depending on what you need

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Can a cable modem/router use a 3rd Party VOIP device for home phone service? 2018/05/03 22:34:05 (permalink)
    Best option would be to rent the Comcast modem. That would give you internet and phone. Since you own the Nighthawk I would probably use that as the router and just use the Comcast Modem though it will be a modem and router.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

mike406
    SSC Member
    Re: Can a cable modem/router use a 3rd Party VOIP device for home phone service? 2018/05/04 13:33:35 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    Best option would be to rent the Comcast modem. That would give you internet and phone. Since you own the Nighthawk I would probably use that as the router and just use the Comcast Modem though it will be a modem and router.

The Nighthawk would need to have a WAN port to be used as a router off the Comcast modem. I was thinking about suggesting this too, but the Nighthawk only has LAN ports. If you connect one of the LAN ports off the Nighthawk to the modem's ethernet port it won't work the way you think it will. Plus, since they are both combo units, there would be double NAT and DHCP (bad), so he would need to put the Comcast modem into bridge mode - further compounding the issue that a router with WAN port is required. Otherwise, it would be the same concept as plugging a modem directly to a switch - it won't function the way an actual router would.

The only way it would work, is if the Netgear has some sort of intelligent detection and "converts" its LAN port to a WAN port when it sees the modem but I found nothing in the manual that suggests it can do this.
    post edited by mike406 - 2018/05/04 13:40:56

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Can a cable modem/router use a 3rd Party VOIP device for home phone service? 2018/05/05 11:59:18 (permalink)
    mike406
    Hoggle

The Nighthawk would need to have a WAN port to be used as a router off the Comcast modem. I was thinking about suggesting this too, but the Nighthawk only has LAN ports. If you connect one of the LAN ports off the Nighthawk to the modem's ethernet port it won't work the way you think it will. Plus, since they are both combo units, there would be double NAT and DHCP (bad), so he would need to put the Comcast modem into bridge mode - further compounding the issue that a router with WAN port is required. Otherwise, it would be the same concept as plugging a modem directly to a switch - it won't function the way an actual router would.

The only way it would work, is if the Netgear has some sort of intelligent detection and "converts" its LAN port to a WAN port when it sees the modem but I found nothing in the manual that suggests it can do this.

still better to sign up with one of the home viop providers, just about every one of them include a cisco SPA2102 ATA device that you connect to your router, service with unlimited calling runs about $9 per month when you pay for a year ( so about $160 payment and your good for a year)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile