Steam New Profile Privacy Settings

Author
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14685
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 38
2018/04/12 03:15:34 (permalink)
https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1667896941884942467

Today’s update expands on your Profile Privacy Settings Page, giving you more control over the privacy of your Steam account. With more detailed descriptions of what profile information is included in each category, you will be able to manage how you are viewed by your friends, or the wider Steam Community.

You can now select who can view your profile’s “game details”; which includes the list of games you have purchased or wishlisted, along with achievements and playtime. This setting also controls whether you’re seen as “in-game” and the title of the game you are playing.

Additionally, regardless of which setting you choose for your profile’s game details, you now have the option to keep your total game playtime private. You no longer need to nervously laugh it off as a bug when your friends notice the 4,000+ hours you've put into Ricochet.

Looking ahead a little, we are also working on a new “invisible” mode in addition to the already existing “online”, “away” and “offline” presence options. If you choose to set yourself to invisible, you’ll appear as offline, but you’ll still be able to view your friends list, send and receive messages. Sometimes you’re feeling social, and sometimes you’re not; this setting should help Steam users be social on their own terms. We hope to have this feature ready for beta release soon.

These changes will hurt sites like steamspy to be able to show statistics about each game.

4 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Steam New Profile Privacy Settings 2018/04/12 07:45:54 (permalink)
    MSim
    These changes will hurt sites like steamspy to be able to show statistics about each game.

Increased privacy reduces spying.  Seems logical to me.

Since you have 1.1.1.1 in your signature, I would have to assume that you support Steam's recent privacy settings.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/04/12 08:03:06

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Steam New Profile Privacy Settings 2018/04/12 09:45:56 (permalink)
    I like this idea! The total play time is always a huge headache. I see people crying about Smurf’s all the time when someone has hundreds of hours in a game.
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Steam New Profile Privacy Settings 2018/04/12 12:11:37 (permalink)
    Has nothing to do with privacy, has everything to do with shutting down sales data from being seen by consumer preventing publisher's availability to lie about the success about their product launches. I bet all of the major publishers pushed for this on Steam precisely for that reason. Steam cares nothing about actual user experience let alone "privacy" when they themselves sell user data to publishers as does all social media platforms. Steam being a hybrid social media and drm platform for gamers. 

Steam Spy is already dead due to this. 

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Steam New Profile Privacy Settings 2018/04/13 18:49:48 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    MSim

Increased privacy reduces spying.  Seems logical to me.

Since you have 1.1.1.1 in your signature, I would have to assume that you support Steam's recent privacy settings.

Steamspy just shows statistics about each game. Steam users already have the option to set a profile to private or friends only. Steam new privacy setting allows you to keep a profile public and still hide other information. Steamspy was useful tool for people. That site allowed you to check a game peak player count history and how many on average still play the game.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile