EVGA

Buying a non functional graphics card that is still under manufacturer warranty online

Author
FluxImperator
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/03/27 19:22:52 (permalink)
Hello,

So I came across an eBay listing for a non functional card. The card looks absolutely fine from what I can see from the photos but according to the seller it won't display a signal and the fans don't come on when the PC starts. The card is still under warranty so I asked him why is he selling it and he told me he wants some fast cash. Not sure why he wouldn't just warranty the card then sell it for its price in used condition, but I digress. 

So that made me think, wouldn't it be a great way to save money if after buying a dead card and a successful warranty you eventually got a refurbished card for the price of a non functional one? Obviously the risk here is buying a card that is not working because of damage caused by the user and EVGA not accepting the warranty, since the seller could lie and depending on the damage there is no way for you to tell before you buy and no way to get a refund since you are buying something that was advertised as not working. That could be this seller and he's just lying about what happened to it. But if you were able to find a reputable seller and can trust that the reason the card is dead is not his fault, is this a perfectly fine thing to do? Whether the original buyer or the secondhand owner warranties it, it really makes no difference for EVGA, but I just wanted to make sure. Also, wouldn't it be very hard to find a dead card from manufacturer's defect sold online instead of warrantied in the first place? I feel like most of these cases have to be user damage since they can't warranty, and are just lying about it because that would be just throwing away potentially more money. Do you think that assessment is correct? 

Thanks! 
post edited by FluxImperator - 2018/03/27 19:27:52

9 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Buying a non functional graphics card that is still under manufacturer warranty online 2018/03/27 19:41:28 (permalink)
    I would not buy the card. 

If the original owner is not willing to do the RMA to get it replaced, you could end up with a card that is out of warranty for any number of reasons.

Secondhand warranty starts the day EVGA originally shipped the card, not the day the original owner bought the card.

Also the original owner could end up getting much more for the replacement card, so why would they not be willing to get it replace first ?

If it sounds too good to be true......

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

gronar
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: Buying a non functional graphics card that is still under manufacturer warranty online 2018/03/27 20:26:04 (permalink)
    In the day and age of cryptocurrency mining it sounds like a total scam to me.  I, myself just went through the RMA process because I had no idea that my card had a lifetime warranty until someone at work told me, it had been sitting on a shelf for almost 3 years.  And I went through the RMA process, which was easy, instead of throwing it away.  Buyer beware.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Buying a non functional graphics card that is still under manufacturer warranty online 2018/03/27 22:31:53 (permalink)
    I have to agree with others it sounds like a scam since if they could RMA it why shouldn’t they? You could end up with a physically damaged card that has been denied an RMA already.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Buying a non functional graphics card that is still under manufacturer warranty online 2018/03/27 23:15:28 (permalink)
    Most likely it's a scam, def a lot of red flags goin up. The model of the card would help us speculate a little easier of what could have happened to it also. Also the sellers answer of fast cash would make me suspect also. Anyone trying to sell anything for fast cash usually isn't doing anything good.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Buying a non functional graphics card that is still under manufacturer warranty online 2018/03/28 01:58:44 (permalink)
    It's not worth the risk in my opinion.  You don't know if the seller caused physical damage to the product or not. If they have listing marked "as is", it could be hard to get your money back. It wouldn't be worth the headache.

FluxImperator
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Buying a non functional graphics card that is still under manufacturer warranty online 2018/03/28 06:04:58 (permalink)
    wmmills
    Most likely it's a scam, def a lot of red flags goin up. The model of the card would help us speculate a little easier of what could have happened to it also. Also the sellers answer of fast cash would make me suspect also. Anyone trying to sell anything for fast cash usually isn't doing anything good.

Here's the listing:

goo(.)gl/aqH9ur

Thanks guys, I'll avoid cards in these condition then.
    post edited by FluxImperator - 2018/03/28 06:09:34
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Buying a non functional graphics card that is still under manufacturer warranty online 2018/03/28 07:05:08 (permalink)
    FluxImperator
    wmmills

Here's the listing:

goo(.)gl/aqH9ur

Thanks guys, I'll avoid cards in these condition then.

Were not saying to avoid them all, all the time cause you may find a good deal somewhere. Just be a little extra careful and def pay attention to what people say to you and how they word things. 9 out of 10 times they give away there true intentions just by how they word things. Its subconscious and they cant help it. If your really not sure just come back here and ask again.

Link: https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=young.mat&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=0&searchInterval=30&mPg=6&page=6

I was checkin his feedback out and its the same repeated phrases over and over with different buyers/sellers. Like this phrase:  Quick response and fast payment. Perfect! THANKS!!  Written exactly like that a bunch of times with different accounts. That just seems bot-ish at the very least.
     Lookin at the pcb fingers, I don't think its a evga pcb even. Doesn't the newer cards, 9 and 10 series, have evga stamped on the pcb on the slot lock?!?
    post edited by wmmills - 2018/03/28 07:20:52

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Buying a non functional graphics card that is still under manufacturer warranty online 2018/03/28 08:40:34 (permalink)
     Card is under warranty, and the person wants fast cash. Hmm. No, I wouldn't buy it. 

wmmills
    Lookin at the pcb fingers, I don't think its a evga pcb even. Doesn't the newer cards, 9 and 10 series, have evga stamped on the pcb on the slot lock?!?

For 10 series gpu's only the 1080 ti kingpin carries the evga stamp right above the golden fingers that plug into the pci-e slot.
    EVGATech_AdamB
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1930
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Buying a non functional graphics card that is still under manufacturer warranty online 2018/03/28 09:06:31 (permalink)
    Hello FluxImperator and welcome to the forums! If you have a serial number available, you are always welcome to contact customer service to find out whether the graphics card can be supported or not. As others in this thread have mentioned, there are some red flags and we always recommend purchasing from an authorized re-seller and not second-hand. That being said, we do have a transferable warranty and as long as it is still within warranty and there is no physical or liquid damage to it, we may be able to support it.

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile