How to Show or Hide Windows 10 Updates/Upgrades

Author
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8048
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 761
2018/03/22 15:29:10 (permalink)
For those with editions of Windows 10 that cannot defer updates/upgrades, such as Windows 10 Home Edition, and would like to stop Windows Update from auto-downloading and auto-installing OS updates/upgrades and/or driver updates such as NVIDIA graphics drivers for those who want to stick with an older graphics driver..Also for those who cannot defer updates/upgrades any longer.

TURN ON METERED CONNECTION
See: Metered connections in Windows 10

No updates/upgrades will be auto-downloaded and auto-installed except "Only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly" of which remains a somewhat of a mystery, but I haven't experienced this as of now, if you have, do tell.

You can leave metered connection on and periodically/manually check for updates/upgrades using only/specifically the Show or Hide Updates tool instead of the normal Windows Update and then hide only the updates you don't want, then run the normal Windows Update to download and install the updates/upgrades that you do want, only the hidden updates will not be available/shown..Schedule the Show or Hide Updates tool to run as a .bat file described farther below.

HIDING UPDATES
1. See: Using Show or hide updates to hide Windows updates and to get the tool (wushowhide.diagcab) from the link in the article or here from Micro$oft

CREATE A .BAT FILE REMINDER
For those that are forgetful, or otherwise, you can create a .bat file to run the Show or Hide Updates tool periodically with Windows Task Scheduler as a reminder that updates may be available for you to check on.

1. Create a folder on C:\ named 'Show or Hide Windows Updates'
2. Put the Show or Hide Updates tool (wushowhide) in it
3. Open a new Notepad Text Document within the folder
4. Type in or copy/paste the following lines, exactly:
@echo off
REM Next command opens wushowhide
start /d "C:\Show or Hide Windows Updates" wushowhide.diagcab
4. Click 'File' at the top-left and choose 'Save as'
5. In the 'File name', name it Show or Hide Windows Updates.bat
6. In the 'Save as type' choose 'All Files'
7. Done..A .bat file will be created in the folder and you can close and delete the Text Document

If you do this on another drive besides C:\, use the correct drive letter.

CREATE AND SCHEDULE A BASIC TASK
See: How to schedule a Task in Windows 10/8/7 with Create Basic Task Wizard to run Show or Hide Windows Update when you want to.

In the Start a Program box, browse to the Show or Hide Windows Updates.bat file you created.
In the General tab, enable 'Run with highest privileges'.
In the Settings tab, enable 'Run the task as soon as possible after a scheduled task is missed'.
When done creating the task, right-click on the Show or Hide Windows Updates task you created and click 'Run' to make sure you got it right and it runs properly.

TO RESET WINDOWS UPDATE
1. Press the Windows + R keys to open Run
2. Type in services.msc and click OK
3. In Services, scroll down to 'Windows Update' and click to highlight it
4. In the top-left, click Stop the service, then Start the service

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
You might still need to connect to an unmetered connection for some updates..This remains somewhat of a mystery as to what 'some updates' from Micro$oft means.

Keep in mind that the minute you revert a connection marked as metered to unmetered, you'll be back to automatic downloads/installation again.

The Show or Hide Updates tool is a powerful utility from Micro$oft to show or hide updates/upgrades that you may not need or want.

Works, and has worked flawlessly for me.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

6 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: How to Show or Hide Windows 10 Updates/Upgrades 2018/03/22 19:00:58 (permalink)
    many may find this very useful to help regain control of their PC

I use the - Metered Connection in Pro version of 10 the only complaint - makes MS security updates slooooow

At least my drivers do not constantly get hosed; especially because MS insists on using abbreviated Nvidia driver without OpenCL

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: How to Show or Hide Windows 10 Updates/Upgrades 2018/03/22 19:07:49 (permalink)
    Your metered connection instructions only show how to set it up via wifi. Here is how to do it with ethernet... https://www.windowscentra...ows-10-creators-update
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: How to Show or Hide Windows 10 Updates/Upgrades 2018/03/22 21:21:23 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Your metered connection instructions only show how to set it up via wifi. Here is how to do it with ethernet... https://www.windowscentra...ows-10-creators-update

Yep, I should've said that..Once in the Settings for Network and Internet there is also that option for Ethernet.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10330
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: How to Show or Hide Windows 10 Updates/Upgrades 2018/03/23 07:28:20 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    many may find this very useful to help regain control of their PC

I use the - Metered Connection in Pro version of 10 the only complaint - makes MS security updates slooooow

At least my drivers do not constantly get hosed; especially because MS insists on using abbreviated Nvidia driver without OpenCL

You could do this to stop the issue of unwanted driver installs. >
    If you look at the notes for this setting, you'll see that Win10 v1607, you have to have telemetry enabled for it to work.  If you're running v1703 or v1709, you do not. (my preference)

Just type "gpe" in the search box and click "edit group policy".
    Group Policy Editor > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Do Not Include Drivers with WIndows Updates > Enabled

Attached Image(s)

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10330
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: How to Show or Hide Windows 10 Updates/Upgrades 2018/03/23 07:36:46 (permalink)
    Nice tutorial Bob for those running Win10 Home...

Sorry about my "somewhat" off topic post above.

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: How to Show or Hide Windows 10 Updates/Upgrades 2018/04/15 21:58:12 (permalink)

Good info Bob.        

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile