Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2018/03/13 10:42:07 (permalink)
https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180313PD204.html

Nvidia has recently started placing restrictions on its downstream graphics card partners, forbiding them to publicly promote cryptocurrency mining activities or actively sell its consumer graphics cards to miners, the sources said. Nvidia and AMD have both been decelerating the developments of their new GPU architectures and prolonging their existing GPU platforms' lifecycle, the sources said. What that means is there will probably be more time before the launch of the next gen video card. Most sources peg the next gen NVIDIA launch in June/July or maybe later.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

39 Replies Related Threads

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/13 13:42:11 (permalink)
    If nVidia wants to properly address mining, the only surefire way to manage the ups and downs is come up with a hyper-efficient product with longevity such that there is no point in using every generation of their graphics cards. Simply put, nVidia needs to develop an ASIC-type of device that uses tweaked versions of their hardware.

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/13 14:00:31 (permalink)
    lehpron
    If nVidia wants to properly address mining, the only surefire way to manage the ups and downs is come up with a hyper-efficient product with longevity such that there is no point in using every generation of their graphics cards. Simply put, nVidia needs to develop an ASIC-type of device that uses tweaked versions of their hardware.

That's probably the best common sense solution I've heard of

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/13 15:32:28 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180313PD204.html

Nvidia has recently started placing restrictions on its downstream graphics card partners, forbiding them to publicly promote cryptocurrency mining activities or actively sell its consumer graphics cards to miners, the sources said. Nvidia and AMD have both been decelerating the developments of their new GPU architectures and prolonging their existing GPU platforms' lifecycle, the sources said. What that means is there will probably be more time before the launch of the next gen video card. Most sources peg the next gen NVIDIA launch in June/July or maybe later.

Oh good Lord, that article is so horribly written they should fire whoever wrote it.
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/13 22:27:12 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    lehpron

That's probably the best common sense solution I've heard of

+1    

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/13 22:46:24 (permalink)
    I think that NVIDIA would have a lot of risk in making a mining card. If they started from the ground up it could be counting on the mining market still going strong two or three years later. They also would be investing a ton of money on the development of a card with the hopes that it is the hot mining product when we could easily see them go in a different direction or stick with a GPU for use in gaming when not mining. It's easy to say they should make a mining card but when you consider how that could backfire if companies gamble on a failed product line.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/14 01:39:14 (permalink)
    I'm weary of anything to do with cryptocurrency. When you have random people without any credibility setting all the rules of the game, you have way too many ways to become a total fool in all of this. So many people are wholly incapable of seeing the forest through the trees. The true winners are the creators of the game, not those playing it. Learn a bit from vegas people. 
    TheGutSteR
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 105
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/14 04:55:50 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    I'm weary of anything to do with cryptocurrency. When you have random people without any credibility setting all the rules of the game, you have way too many ways to become a total fool in all of this. So many people are wholly incapable of seeing the forest through the trees. The true winners are the creators of the game, not those playing it. Learn a bit from vegas people. 

This 100% Also people are not thinking of when and if this becomes mainstream, the taxes that will be imposed on this type of currency will be ridiculous at first. People who cashed out and made tons of money will be required to pay those and thats when things will get ugly. This is why I believe it won't become the norm. You can already see the down trend starting to happen. But Brad's post I totally agree with and with many others in this thread. 

Breath..Think..React.... Do that in reverse equals regret.. 

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/14 06:48:53 (permalink)
    TheGutSteR
    [People who cashed out and made tons of money will be required to pay those and thats when things will get ugly.

They already are required to pay capital gains tax. They better, or someone will be knocking on their door.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

TheGutSteR
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/14 07:31:59 (permalink)
    Correct, "they should have" however that's part of crypto mining that they don't tell you or talk about so all these people flocking to do it and haven't done their research are in for a rude awaking. 

TheGutSteR
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/18 06:40:36 (permalink)
    Here you go folks looks like uncle Sam has already started laying the smack down. 

Can't link the article yet, but a miner got smacked with $50k in taxes due and his response "I didn't know and I think I may have ruined my life."

It was posted by the guardian. Investors in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies face hefty tax bills

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/18 08:09:57 (permalink)
    TheGutSteR
    Here you go folks looks like uncle Sam has already started laying the smack down. 

Can't link the article yet, but a miner got smacked with $50k in taxes due and his response "I didn't know and I think I may have ruined my life."

It was posted by the guardian. Investors in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies face hefty tax bills

Give me a break. Do you know how much money a person would have to earn in order to owe $50k in taxes? If the quoted individual in your post ruined his life, he ruined it with a ton of money.
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11083
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/18 21:56:48 (permalink)
    kram36
    TheGutSteR

Give me a break. Do you know how much money a person would have to earn in order to owe $50k in taxes? If the quoted individual in your post ruined his life, he ruined it with a ton of money.

It may not be the money he made that he owes on. Could be the fines he has to pay for not reporting the income. The fines and fees add up quickly.

This may come to an end soon anyway. Electric companies are starting to charge extra to users of high amounts of electric, more on their bills either as a monthly fee or more per KWH used.
    I am not sure what the set amount KWH is. Bit article in the news paper.
    Electric co do not want to build bigger infrastructure for mining operations.
    They are going to consider folding and BOINC as mining

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/19 01:54:20 (permalink)
    kram36
    TheGutSteR

It's easy to ruin your life with a ton of money when you don't consider the IRS. it's easy to cash out bitcoins and redo the kitchen like your wife always wanted and build a sweet man cave buy new cars and then take a trip to Europe. The IRS is going to care about getting paid cash not the new kitchen remodel. Sure you could sell the cars but they would be far less then the brand new value.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/19 05:43:12 (permalink)
    Agree on the whole raised prices on energy because of the ridiculous demand it's created and those with backed taxes who had 'no clue' while playing with the big leagues.

I will say, I think Crypto could have had a longer endurance in its uprising but gov. from all over the world started clamping down on them all which shook up the crypto markets.  It wasn't a natural adjustment but a forced one.  

I also agree that this whole thing puts the GPU manufacturers in a tough position that could be very costly.  Not just for the hardware itself but what about setting up warranties and keeping them in stock for RMAs.  That kind of gear will take a beating compared to your average GPU use.
    post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2018/03/19 05:45:38

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 946
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/22 03:49:39 (permalink)
    Nvidia has very little exposure to "mining" - perhaps 5% of their total sales for the last year was to miners, and I'd estimate this year so far is less than that - and a LOT of those sales were 1060 cards.
    AMD on the other hand has a lot more exposure - possibly MORE this time around than in 2013/2014 - but they have their Ryzen explosion and quickly growing CPU market share to tide them over if their GPU sales DO get hit this year.

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
     I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

modgirl
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/22 10:37:37 (permalink)
    All nVidia and AMD have to do is have the bios for their cards not allow mining.  Problem solved.  Miners will have to use ACIS mining machines
    to mine.  But you won't see them doing that, so until they do everything else is just talk from them.  I read where nVida had actually enhanced
    their bios for miners to compete with AMD. Anyone who believes that nVidia and AMD don't love this position that they find themselves in are
    fooling themselves.  That goes for all their boards partners too, EVGA I am looking at you here.
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/22 10:47:16 (permalink)
    modgirl
    All nVidia and AMD have to do is have the bios for their cards not allow mining.  Problem solved.  Miners will have to use ACIS mining machines
    to mine.  But you won't see them doing that, so until they do everything else is just talk from them.  I read where nVida had actually enhanced
    their bios for miners to compete with AMD. Anyone who believes that nVidia and AMD don't love this position that they find themselves in are
    fooling themselves.  That goes for all their boards partners too, EVGA I am looking at you here.

I don't understand why you think you deserve these card's and a miner does not? Also, not all crytocurrencies can be mined on a ASIC system. There are cryptocurrecies that do not want ASIC systems used for mining their coins. Do you really know what mining is and what they are actually doing?
    modgirl
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/22 10:53:41 (permalink)
    kram36
    modgirl

I don't understand why you think you deserve these card's and a miner does not? Also, not all crytocurrencies can be mined on a ASIC system. There are cryptocurrecies that do not want ASIC systems used for mining their coins. Do you really know what mining is and what they are actually doing?

I understand perfectly what mining cryocurrency is, a ponzi scheme or a zero sum game.  What they are doing is trying to get rich quick or make money fast and don't care who or what it hurts or takes from others.  Sorry no sale here. 
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/22 10:54:58 (permalink)
    modgirl
    kram36
    modgirl

I understand perfectly what mining cryocurrency is, a ponzi scheme or a zero sum game.  What they are doing is trying to get rich quick or make money fast and don't care who or what it hurts or takes from others.  Sorry no sale here. 

You are so sadly misinformed.
    modgirl
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/22 11:01:43 (permalink)
    kram36
    modgirl
    kram36
    modgirl

Sadly I am not, as a software engineer and an economist I have studied this issue inside and out.  The technology block chain is very promising, but it is being used for basically energy wasting garbage at this point.  As someone who has lived more than half a century I have seen booms and busts as well and people get hurt.  If you are mining don't forget you are gambling, you have no control over the game and the rules change constantly.
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/22 11:27:30 (permalink)
    modgirl
    kram36
    modgirl
    kram36
    modgirl

Sadly I am not, as a software engineer and an economist I have studied this issue inside and out.  The technology block chain is very promising, but it is being used for basically energy wasting garbage at this point.  As someone who has lived more than half a century I have seen booms and busts as well and people get hurt.  If you are mining don't forget you are gambling, you have no control over the game and the rules change constantly.

QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/22 12:05:42 (permalink)
    modgirl
    All nVidia and AMD have to do is have the bios for their cards not allow mining.  

As has been explained before, mining software uses OpenCL (or rarely CUDA) - they would have to disable OpenCL(CUDA) support ENTIRELY to "not allow mining".
    The problem is that the basic design of the cards would STOP WORKING if they tried to do that - OpenCL and CUDA are nothing more than ways to access the existing "unified shaders" that are INHERENT to graphic cards, disable those and you have no ability to do the computation work needed for GAMING (and you also tick off a lot of workers in the AI field, a lot of SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH workers, a lot of SUPERCOMPUTER builders, it's a very long list of "non-miners" that depend on the ability of GPUs to do computations).

For point of reference - the oldest cards that were CAPABLE of being used for General Purpose GPU computation existed a few years before the first GPGPU type software did - the cards weren't designed for GPGPU, GPGPU was designed to allow EXISTING CARD DESIGNS to be used for something other than "graphic display specific" computation.
    The SAME design elements that make a card a powerful graphics display card are what make them powerful GP COMPUTE cards.

YOU CAN'T TURN THAT OFF WITH A BIOS CHANGE, IT IS INHERENT TO THE BASIC DESIGN OF THE CARD.

Other than the Founder Edition cards, Nvidia doesn't write GPU BIOS - the third party manufacturers do that for their own cards.
    A few of the "mining specific cards" are where you see "enhanced BIOS for mining", NOT "Nvidia" cards.

While there are some miners (most of those that got involved in the last 8-10 months) that are in the "get rich quick" class, a lot of us are in it for the long term and have been mining for years.
    I can't say "have been mining for decades" at this point as cryptocoin mining isn't quite to the ONE decade point - but it's getting there.
    Us long-term miners are fully aware of the "boom or bust" probabilities, and build to be profitable even during the "down" cycles - like 2-3 years ago when Bitcoin was in the $200-$300 range.

Cryptocoin isn't a "Ponzi scheme" as such, but it's certainly highly speculative - I'd be more inclined to compare it to "penny stocks".
    Keep in mind that a "Ponzi scheme" is specifically designed to defraud later "investors", while cryptocoin is NOT.
    Ponzi schemes also aren't REGULATED by governments, they're banned outright as FRAUD.

post edited by QuintLeo - 2018/03/22 12:09:32

I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

DLImperia
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/22 12:08:57 (permalink)
    modgirl
    kram36
    modgirl
    kram36
    modgirl

Anybody can claim to be anything on the internet but that doesn't mean that it's true. I could claim to be a space pirate riding around on a flying unicorn but without demonstrable evidence, my claim would mean jack.

With that being said, while I am a gamer first and foremost, I also have grown to respect cryptocurrency and the potential good it can do. As a currency itself, cryptocurrency has the potential to be amazing. With big banks running everything, I like the idea of a digital currency that the big banks can't directly control giving everyday people more choice as to how they use their money.

Yes, I do agree that mining has gotten out of hand with it's power consumption and what not, but that's all the more reason why the world needs to start investing more into renewable energy.

Yes, I was butthurt because I was finally able to get enough money together to build a true high end gaming rig after riding out my 5 year old AMD system only for the GPU prices to skyrocket, forcing me to start off with a lesser GPU. At the same time, however, I am glad to have the option to recoup some of the cost I put into my $1400 gaming rig by mining when I am not using it for gaming and work, should I choose to do so. Not to mention, anything that destabilizes these big greedy banks that want to control everything, even just a little, and puts some power back into the hands of the people makes me happy.

P.S sorry if I went overboard with my post but I couldn't resist joining in on this thread haha

post edited by DLImperia - 2018/03/22 12:13:18
    nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2884
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/23 07:47:02 (permalink)
    I would like to see an nVidia Open GL ASIC machine(kind of an oxymoron).  I use my 1080ti's for part time gaming and mostly folding@home earning FLDC and for the most part I exchange it out upon pay out and don't really speculate on it.  I have been fortunate in getting an early(ish) start back in June last year so I got in before prices skyrocketed but I wasn't going in for pure profit either, hence why I stick to folding vs mining other coin.  It meets a nice intersection where my hobby can pay for it's self and do something good.  And yes I report the income on my taxes lol.  I am really exited to see the next gen come out but at the same time I have been fortunate to have good gear for my needs now.
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/24 11:31:48 (permalink)
    lehpron

Actually, if you want to truly deal with mining, lock down CUDA and GPGPU to Quadro only. People would be up in arms, but it would solve the consumer gaming issue in haste.
    QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/24 11:50:32 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne

Actually, if you want to truly deal with mining, lock down CUDA and GPGPU to Quadro only. People would be up in arms, but it would solve the consumer gaming issue in haste.

CAN'T BE DONE - for the same reasons that you can't just "mod the BIOS to disable mining".
    You have to delete the ability of the card to do computations ENTIRELY - at which point it turns into a gaming card with NO performance and nobody wants it at all.

The TRUE cure is for Nvidia to have not ramped down Pascal production TOO BLOODY MANY MONTHS AHEAD OF TIME - or for the ASIC miner makers to branch out more (Bitmain in particular has brought out miners for a BUNCH of algorithms in the last few months, but apparently they don't think they can create an ETH ASIC miner that is much if any better than GPUs can already do because of the HUGE memory requirements to mine ETH at all - which wouldn't help the Nvidia shortage anyway to a noticeable degree).

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/24 12:06:05 (permalink)
    QuintLeo
    Brad_Hawthorne

CAN'T BE DONE - for the same reasons that you can't just "mod the BIOS to disable mining".
    You have to delete the ability of the card to do computations ENTIRELY - at which point it turns into a gaming card with NO performance and nobody wants it at all.

The TRUE cure is for Nvidia to have not ramped down Pascal production TOO BLOODY MANY MONTHS AHEAD OF TIME - or for the ASIC miner makers to branch out more (Bitmain in particular has brought out miners for a BUNCH of algorithms in the last few months, but apparently they don't think they can create an ETH ASIC miner that is much if any better than GPUs can already do because of the HUGE memory requirements to mine ETH at all - which wouldn't help the Nvidia shortage anyway to a noticeable degree).

Nvidia is notoriously proficient about locking down things via drivers. If they wanted to, they would.

QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/24 17:21:41 (permalink)
    Trying to lock miners out via drivers won't work - most miners don't bother with the "latest and greatest" drivers as it is, they prefer older "tried and true and BEST PERFORMANCE" drivers.
    Yet another non-starter to something that isn't IN REAL LIFE a significant issue for Nvidia anyway.

candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3677
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Nvidia wary of possible cryptocurrency demand drop 2018/03/24 20:48:00 (permalink)
    They can't lock them out on pascal, they can on Volta if they want, and actually it's in Nvidia's interest to direct miners to Quadro, they make more money. I have no issues with miners mining, my issue comes with the fact they drain the consumer market and then later on flood the market with used GPU's used 24/7 for mining but they seldom say they where used for mining, meaning its already well past the half way point on lifespan, even if ran at lower voltage.

As for locking it out, yes they can, they can put instruction level blocks, look for things that look like a mining program running and executing code on the gpu, and the bios could literally refuse to process that code. The block chain is well enough known for the crypto's nvidia can literly just put a bios block in to detect the block chain being run and refuse to process.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile