Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102225
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2018/03/16 11:36:29 (permalink)
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/gpu-sales-big-gamers/

This is an interesting article as it discusses that the limits some sales retailers are putting on video cards actually hurts the gamer because large mining businesses are buying video cards in huge bulk. That means more cards for them.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

20 Replies Related Threads

Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8325
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/16 11:51:42 (permalink)
    Crypto-miners seem to be willing to pay whatever the price tag.  They have caused turmoil for all normal users / purchasers at this point and don't even seem to care.  I am not surprised by this article at all...

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk;  Ryzen 9 5950X; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Corsair H115i Pro; 32 GB  Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600; Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z; Corsair HX 850i;  Lian Li Lancool II;  EVGA Z15
    RGB Keyboard; and Razer Viper 8K Mouse
    Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/16 12:00:03 (permalink)

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/16 12:22:51 (permalink)
    Gamers are mad at miners, but if they could get cards at MSRP would they even care about miners? What they should be directing their displeasure at is the lack of stock causing the cost to be so high. AMD and nVidia need to produce more.
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/16 12:36:37 (permalink)
    kram36
    Gamers are mad at miners, but if they could get cards at MSRP would they even care about miners? What they should be directing their displeasure at is the lack of stock causing the cost to be so high. AMD and nVidia need to produce more.

The point is irrelevant, since miners have helped create a bad situation for gamers. And lack of stock? Sure because the miners buy everything.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/16 13:07:10 (permalink)
    transdogmifier
    kram36

The point is irrelevant, since miners have helped create a bad situation for gamers. And lack of stock? Sure because the miners buy everything.

It's very relevant, if gamers could get cards at MSRP, gamers would care less about miners.

Maybe the miners are pissed at gamers for causing the cost of video cards to go up just to play games?

Just because you're a gamer does not mean you have any right to a product over another person.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30963
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/16 14:12:17 (permalink)
    Seems very clear in the article that this GPU inventory control issue -->is Out of Control ---> in the distribution chain.

Manufactures need to make a clear effort to thwart this type of behavior; if they are serious about wanting to make an impact and stop most cards going to a select few.

"Pure capitalism" and "What the market will bear" --->  hard at work ?

(excerpt, from link in OP)

“We spend a lot of money with the right people to get the stuff and obviously it’s as difficult for us as it is for other people,” he said. “We’ve reached a scale now [though] where we get a lot of preferential treatment, and ultimately it’s a case of getting that hardware out to people and doing it as quick as we can. So even now in the midst of the shortage, we’re the only company to keep units on stock.”

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/16 14:18:58 (permalink)
    Nvidia's business strategy is to use GeForce GPU's as a stepping stone to promote other products. I understand why they would want to curb miners which are essentially using the hardware for the exact opposite of what they've been building up their product lines around. Steve from Gamers Nexus mentioned this when he was talking about GPU manufacturers and their thoughts on miners affecting their business. Most GPU manufacturers use those GPU hardware sales to attract and build brands into numerous other markets. EVGA's entire business strategy is designed around brand loyalty and satisfaction attracting owners to other product markets.
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/17 17:12:38 (permalink)
    AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners.

I call horsecrap.......
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/18 02:28:44 (permalink)
    Don't forget the scalpers.  The scalpers are purchasing from certified retailers as well to clueless customers who can be found violating forum ToS and complaining how horrible EVGA is in the Warranty section from time to time.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/18 08:22:02 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    Don't forget the scalpers.  The scalpers are purchasing from certified retailers as well to clueless customers who can be found violating forum ToS and complaining how horrible EVGA is in the Warranty section from time to time.

EVGA has cut the scalpers out.......by becoming the scalpers themselves.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/18 10:55:08 (permalink)
    kram36
    GTXJackBauer

EVGA has cut the scalpers out.......by becoming the scalpers themselves.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11071
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/18 21:45:48 (permalink)
    I noticed a lot of people selling their video cards on several forums.
    Lots of GTX 1060, 1070 cards as well as AMD cards popping up for sale.
    People are listing 5 to 10 cards at a clip.

I think changes are coming to the mining and folding/boinc community.
    Electric companies are starting to charge hi energy user an extra fee/higher rates on their bills.
    Upstate NY because of cheap electric by the hydro dams, miners are setting up large farms.
    The towns are are outright banning mining. They rent commercial bldgs and use so much electric the whole town has to pay more on their bills. Towns get cheap electric up to a set amount of megawatts per month.
    When the usage is over that, they raise the rates and everyone pays more.
    Miners rent the bldgs, and do not create jobs, do not add to the community and cost the people living there more for their electric..
    Who will continue folding or crunching if they have to pay extra for my electric. For what I do, I get a letter in the mail every 2 months, as we all do here telling us what we use vs our neighbors. I always use 50 to 100% more than most of my neighbors. And I do not fold everyday, and I crunch less than I used to.
    I know of other states starting to look at high electric users and what they can do to stop it
    They do not want to build more power plants and bigger distribution systems.

This will be bad for science research if they hit us hard with fees.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18915
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/18 22:05:30 (permalink)

Deleted - before someone takes words seriously that were very clearly written in jest.

post edited by Nereus - 2018/03/19 04:11:33

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10098
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/19 02:00:13 (permalink)
    kram36

The question is how much more is enough to fill the miner need and make gamers happy? Also what happens if the mining bubble bursts? All the sudden NVIDIA and AMD have tons of product not selling and they lose millions.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

PietroBR
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1202
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/19 04:30:30 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    kram36

The question is how much more is enough to fill the miner need and make gamers happy? Also what happens if the mining bubble bursts? All the sudden NVIDIA and AMD have tons of product not selling and they lose millions.

For a miner, the more it have, the more money it will make. So pretty much, there is no "enough" for a miner IMO.
    Now, you got that other part right. What NVidia / AMD / Resellers will do with the excess of production (maybe try to sell, but for how much?)

Case: Asus Z370-G Box / MB: Asus Z370-G / CPU: Intel I7 8700K / Mem.: 16GB (2x8) 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 / GPU: GTX 1080TI FTW3 / A.I.O. W.C: EVGA CLC280 / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/19 07:56:09 (permalink)
    if AMD/nVidia really wanted to limit, they could do with drivers, but because a quarterly statement matters to any profit-oriented organization, they aren't going to.

I have no sympathy for entitled customers that think miners will ruin PC gaming when most gamers don't DIY or GTX1060 on up.

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3677
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/20 10:04:27 (permalink)
    no if Nvidia follows through on a mining edition gpu, they could then driver limit geforce cards from mining, and force the miners to pay for the mining edition card. If I was nvidia I'd also price that card the same as a Quadro
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11071
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/21 01:46:04 (permalink)
    candle_86
    no if Nvidia follows through on a mining edition gpu, they could then driver limit geforce cards from mining, and force the miners to pay for the mining edition card. If I was nvidia I'd also price that card the same as a Quadro

I doubt EVGA will want to cripple their folding team, will they?
    They have made a lot of money off of the folders over the years and made loyal customers.
    They sponsor the 2nd largest team there is in the world, they will not put the hurtin to their own team.
    Cripple the cards so they can not mine, they will not be able to fold or do BOINC either, so much science research power will be lost.
    This too shall come to pass and the gamers will just have to wait it out like the rest of us.
    Video cards are not just made for people to play silly games with.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

panzlock
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1736
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/21 06:36:12 (permalink)
    My wife tries to limit sex but it isn't working. You'll have to fall asleep sometime, honey!
    QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 946
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: AMD and Nvidia have tried to limit GPU sales to crypto-miners. It isn’t working 2018/03/22 04:03:04 (permalink)
    bobmitch
    Crypto-miners seem to be willing to pay whatever the price tag.  They have caused turmoil for all normal users / purchasers at this point and don't even seem to care.  I am not surprised by this article at all...

WRONG.
    Most crypto miners are VERY VERY sensitive to high prices - which make it take a lot longer to pay off the card.

To limit mining use of a cards, AMD and Nvidia would have to completely disable ALL OpenCL access - which would kill their sales to data centers, AI "deep learning" groups, and other such non-mining COMPUTE USAGE of the cards.
    Not happening....

Note that it's not Nvidia or AMD that are coming up with the "mining edition" cards to date, it's the THIRD PARTY MANUFACTURERS like Sapphire, Inno3d, ASUS and such - with a possible exception for the P102 which has conflicting information on if it actually has fewer cores than the 1080 TI gpu or if it's just a BIOS limitation that shuts down one or more CUs to save power.

Mining demand for GPUs is ALREADY dropping as profitability has dropped the last 2+ months - but that's a lot more help for AMD than for Nvidia as most miners want AMD cards to mine with due to the fact they generally have a shorter "achieve 100% ROI" timeframe.

Folding is VERY small potatoes by cryptomining standards - there are quite a few GPU farms that have more cards in use than all folders COMBINED.
    If I were to swing my current Nvidia GPU collection back at folding, I'd probably crack the Top 10 and EASILY make it into the Top 20 (like I was somewhere in the Top 20 when I dropped OUT of folding, but I've added a lot of cards since then) - and I'm running a VERY SMALL farm by "professional" cryptocoin mining standards.

post edited by QuintLeo - 2018/03/22 04:07:58

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
     I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile