EVGA

Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts

Author
larrysb
  • Total Posts : 94
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2018/02/09 10:45:50 (permalink)
I just installed the hybrid cooler kits on my two 1080ti SC Gaming Black ICX cards. 

Cards:
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition GAMING, 11G-P4-6393-KR, 11GB GDDR5X, iCX Cooler & LED

Kits:
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC HYBRID Waterblock Cooler, Cooling, 400-HY-5598-B1

First off, these things work really, really well. I can run the two cards in SLI with full screen Furmark and the GPU temperature never exceeds 42c, even after extended time at the standard SC's "overclock" settings. With the stock ICX cooler (which is a damn impressive bit of metal) and the whir of the radiator fans never changes. I have resisted water cooling for a long time, but it really does the job. I am doing deep learning work and want to run these cards for long periods of time full out with as little noise as possible. 

I think the radiator fans could be better. They do work fine, just quieter. Project for some other day. 

On the installation process:

The kit comes with a good instruction sheet. If you carefully follow it, step by step and read it a couple of times first, you'll be OK.  However, the kit comes with a perplexingly large number of tiny screws, most of which, you will not use with any of the cards the kit supports. Have no idea why - but that's how it is. Also, there's no need to actually remove the back plates, which creates unnecessary work and potential for damage. 

My tips:

1. Acquire a high-quality #0 and #1 phillips screwdriver.  You will FAIL with crappy ones. I recommend the Wiha screwdrivers. They are excellent and I've used them for years.

http://www.wihatools.com

2. Get yourself an anti-static mat and grounding strap. You will be touching this card all over like it was your first prom date. $20 spent here could save your $1000+ graphics card. Most of the time, you'll get away without, but it is cheap insurance.

3. Before starting, go through the instructions step by step and pull the packets of screws called for in your installation. Why there's 5x as many kinds of screws in the kit as required I have no idea. Goes a lot easier if you do this first. (chefs call this mise en place) 

4. On the ICX cards like mine (and likely the EVGA blower type), in spite of the instructions, do not actually remove the back plates. Just take the screws out. You're going to put the plates right back on and removing them just increases the chances of damaging the thermal pads. Just take the screws out, leave the back plates hanging on with the thermal pads and proceed to take off the fan-sinks. 

5. Take the heat sinks off carefully. If you can, unplug the LED and fan plugs first. Don't use a prying tool to remove the fan sink. Slow, steady pressure and working around the perimeter a little at a time will allow it to separate easily and gently. Make sure not to damage the fan/led plugs as you lift the fan/sink off.

6. Give yourself plenty of room as the radiator and hoses need to flip and flop all over the place once you install the pump. 

7. Take your time. 

8. Don't be this guy: 
https://youtu.be/qyI9yDuf8xQ

All in all, the hardest part of this job is removing all the scratch protection film from the new shroud.

28 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/09 12:07:42 (permalink)
    Mine are running Great, have fun.
    I think we gave a Lot of Leatherman Members here
    The Tech Buyer's Guru
     How sad, this guy needs to stick to small RV Cars and Trucks.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/02/22 15:43:51

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

VegetaCreeper
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2944
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/09 12:46:36 (permalink)
    hahaha I loved watching that fail video - I seriously LOL'd at least twice

Be The change in the World you want to see

Use my associate code if you want to save money on your purchases: DIC39SVDZOR8D11

DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 172
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/09 16:45:44 (permalink)
    @larrysb, does your Define R5 mostly cancel out the pump noise, or is it still noticeable? Do you think that with two of them, it would be difficult to route the tubes around a large cooler like the Noctua?

And as a general question for anyone, is the GPU still producing the same heat, and the hybrid cooler is more efficient at dissipating it, or is the overall heat from the system actually reduced by 30 - 40 degrees? I suspect the former, but I'd be delighted to be wrong

Thanks.
    Heini2
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 498
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/09 17:16:27 (permalink)
    DamonLynchAnd as a general question for anyone, is the GPU still producing the same heat, and the hybrid cooler is more efficient at dissipating it, or is the overall heat from the system actually reduced by 30 - 40 degrees? I suspect the former, but I'd be delighted to be wrong

You are correct.... power=heat....unless you decrease the power draw heat production does not change, therefor the hybrid will dissipate heat better thus better (gpu) temps.

Z170 Sabertooth Mk1 / i7-6700K + NH-D15 / Trident Z (2x16GB)@3000 / 2080Ti XC Ultra / Essence STX II / 950 Pro 512GB / G3 1000W / MG279Q / HAF XB EVO / Win10 X64 Pro
    geswek
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1235
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/09 17:28:42 (permalink)
    I have the Hybrid on my 1080ti as well -- I went from a full custom loop in the old setup to EVGA AIO's for GPU and CPU (my 1080ti was on EK waterblock in the old setup.)
    I did replace the fan on the Hybrid AIO with EVGA's new line of 120mm fans -- I bought a 4pin-3pin adapter so I didn't have to cut/re-wire the fans for 3-pin setup.
    I'm waiting on my case to show up and when it does I'll be adding another fan to the radiator to do a pull/push setup.

Overall I love it -- I'm seeing the same temps as I did with my old custom setup.

I will note; fan on the radiator is static as far as I know. It runs at whatever max speed the fan is. If you wanted it less quiet you would want a lower RPM fan.

Fractals [build thread] [heatware]
    Case & PSU: Fractal Meshify C Mini Dark · EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3 
    System Core: I7-8700K 5GHz @ 1.330v · EVGA Z370 Micro · 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3200 16-18-18-35
    Storage & OS: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe · Western Digital Caviar 1TB · Windows 10-64bit Pro 
    Multimedia: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Hybrid · Dell Ultrasharp 27in Gaming · SteelSeries Arctis 7 
    Watercooling: EVGA CLC 240 AIO CPU

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/09 18:43:20 (permalink)
    DamonLynch
    @larrysb, does your Define R5 mostly cancel out the pump noise, or is it still noticeable? Do you think that with two of them, it would be difficult to route the tubes around a large cooler like the Noctua?

And as a general question for anyone, is the GPU still producing the same heat, and the hybrid cooler is more efficient at dissipating it, or is the overall heat from the system actually reduced by 30 - 40 degrees? I suspect the former, but I'd be delighted to be wrong

Thanks.

Too answer your general question, the GPU or CPU still dissipates the same number of watts into the environment. Different solutions are more efficient in moving it around. Also, cooler running CPUs and GPUs are more efficient. So, you will gain a few percent in efficiency and higher boost clocks at lower temperatures. About the only negative I have about the GPU AIOs, is the default fan at 100% is way too noisy. How hard would it be to tie the rad fan to the existing fan control on the GPU?  They really work well with push/pull with quality fans if you have the room.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

808sting
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 462
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/09 19:38:43 (permalink)
    larrysb
    I am doing deep learning work and want to run these cards for long periods of time full out with as little noise as possible. 
    I think the radiator fans could be better. They do work fine, just quieter. Project for some other day. 

Glad it's working out for you.  The fans aren't bad, but I eventually replaced mine just for looks.  I didn't hook the OE or the ML fans to the card fan header due to lack of control.  I used a fan hub to a MB fan header.  I'm using Asus Fan Xpert to control all the fans in the case.  I have multiple fan hubs to control case fan zones and rad fans.  Using temps and custom fan curves for different operation modes from quiet to "747 take off" speeds.

https://www.amazon.com/Si...ck-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I

i9 13900KS, Asus ROG Hero Z690 MB, 32GB G.Skill DDR5-6400
    Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC
    External open-loop w/Velocity2 WB
    Corsair 900D Case
    Firecuda SSD 1TB & 2TB, EVO 970P 1TB, Black 8TB
    Asus & LG BD-RE
    Corsair AX1600i PS
    LG 38GL950B-G
    DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/09 19:38:57 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    Too answer your general question, the GPU or CPU still dissipates the same number of watts into the environment. Different solutions are more efficient in moving it around. Also, cooler running CPUs and GPUs are more efficient. So, you will gain a few percent in efficiency and higher boost clocks at lower temperatures.

Thanks for the confirmation (and to Heini2 too). That was what I guessed.  I had wondered if there might be some kind of negative dynamic feedback between the GPU temperature and its surroundings, in that as the air temp rises, the GPU's efficiency would go down, producing even more heat, raising the case temp, and so on. But it sounds like that's nothing to concern oneself with.

HeavyHemiThey really work well with push/pull with quality fans if you have the room.

By this you mean two fans, one either side of the radiator? That's a bit like the Noctua D15, I guess (except the Noctua has two towers).
    larrysb
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/10 05:37:37 (permalink)
    DamonLynch

The Define R5 is very nicely made and full of sound deadening material. However, it is also equipped with a lot of "holes" for every kind of fan imaginable. The holes of course, let whatever sound is inside get out. They also allow whatever positive pressure you create with the two 140mm front fans to escape willy-nilly, defeating the purpose.  Despite its nice looks and quality construction, I wouldn't recommend the Define R5 for this kind of build. A better case design would have a diffuser over the radiator outlets to help break up the sound emissions. Didn't intend on going down this route with liquid cooling, but I found the Define R5 insufficient to accommodate the two cards and ICX coolers. It just isn't designed well for efficient air extraction of this type.

The pumps are actually very quiet on the Hybrid cards, just a few minutes of gurgling when first commisioned while the air is pushed out of the loops. The fans make most of the noise.

DamonLynchAnd as a general question for anyone, is the GPU still producing the same heat, and the hybrid cooler is more efficient at dissipating it, or is the overall heat from the system actually reduced by 30 - 40 degrees? I suspect the former, but I'd be delighted to be wrong

Thanks.

Well, first, heat and temperature are two different things. Heat is the total energy in something and is measured in units like Joules and the rate of heat transfer is measured in watts. Temperature is a measure of average heat of something. 

Think of it this way - you can grab a piece of aluminum foil from the oven with your bare fingers and not get burned, but grabbing a cast iron pan from the same oven will hurt you real bad.  Same temperature - different heat energy.

All (except for a teeny tiny bit) of the electrical power put into a GPU is converted into heat. If there's no cooler attached, the rate of energy transfer into the die will quickly raise its temperature to the failure point. The more efficient the heat sink, fan sink or cooling system attached to it, the faster heat energy is extracted and the greater the amount of electrical power can be used without raising the temperature.

The hybrid cooler simply moves heat from one place to another. In this case, the heat of the GPU and VRAM are taken to the radiator by the liquid, then transferred to the air by the fan and blown outside the case. This actually allows your GPU to produce more heat because the coolers extract it so well and keep the die temperature down and the thermal throttling doesn't kick in and slow the GPU to control the amount power it draws and converts into heat. 

post edited by larrysb - 2018/02/10 05:54:33
    geswek
    FTW Member
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/10 05:56:55 (permalink)
    larrysb
    The hybrid cooler simply moves heat from one place to another. In this case, the heat of the GPU and VRAM are taken to the radiator by the liquid, then transferred to the air by the fan and blown outside the case.

I thought I read in the manual that the radiator/waterblock only pulls the heat from the GPU processor and that the VRAM is cooled by the blower fan attached to that area of the PCB.

Unless I missed something?

System Core: I7-8700K 5GHz @ 1.330v · EVGA Z370 Micro · 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3200 16-18-18-35
    Storage & OS: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe · Western Digital Caviar 1TB · Windows 10-64bit Pro 
    Multimedia: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Hybrid · Dell Ultrasharp 27in Gaming · SteelSeries Arctis 7 

larrysb
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/10 06:03:53 (permalink)
    geswek
    larrysb
    The hybrid cooler simply moves heat from one place to another. In this case, the heat of the GPU and VRAM are taken to the radiator by the liquid, then transferred to the air by the fan and blown outside the case.

I thought I read in the manual that the radiator/waterblock only pulls the heat from the GPU processor and that the VRAM is cooled by the blower fan attached to that area of the PCB.

Unless I missed something?

The VRAM is covered by a copper plate and heat pads, which in turn, couple with thermal paste to the edge of the water block on the GPU. So GPU + VRAM are water cooled. 

The fan cools the VRM components, the mosfets, the inductors and capacitors. 

I wish I had gotten the full edition SC cards, rather than the black edition. The black edition lack the extra thermal sensors and async fan control. The hybrid cooling would benefit greatly from that, as the radiator fan doesn't need as much RPM as the VRM fan does.  :(
    geswek
    FTW Member
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/10 06:08:57 (permalink)
    larrysb
    The VRAM is covered by a copper plate and heat pads, which in turn, couple with thermal paste to the edge of the water block on the GPU. So GPU + VRAM are water cooled. 

The fan cools the VRM components, the mosfets, the inductors and capacitors. 

I wish I had gotten the full edition SC cards, rather than the black edition. The black edition lack the extra thermal sensors and async fan control. The hybrid cooling would benefit greatly from that, as the radiator fan doesn't need as much RPM as the VRM fan does.  :(

OH right! DUH.

Yeah that is one thing that annoys me; I have Black too (was only card I could find.) I don't like the rad fan at full speed. Did you have problems with fan speed period? I noticed on my 1080ti and my wife 1060 that if I didn't opened the EVGA app and reset the preset for fan control the onboard fan NEVER ran. Once I did that they now run according to the preset fan curve.

Otherwise I'm pretty impressed with the AIO. I came from a big boy setup with separate loops/rads/pumps/etc.

DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/22 15:35:05 (permalink)
    For anyone who values quiet operation, it's best to replace the hybrid radiator fans with PWM fans controllable from the motherboard. I guess the stock fans are the way they are -- extremely basic -- so EVGA could hit a certain price point. At 85% power with two units running constantly in one case and replacement fans at 1400 rpm, I'm getting stable GPU temps of 63 degrees C, or about 5-10 degrees C above the stock fans running at 100%. That's fine with me, because it's so much quieter now. A much more pleasant working environment! Probably the noisiest component now is the PSU fan, or perhaps the case fans. Nothing to worry about with them in comparison.

One thing I didn't appreciate before installing these kits is that it's not possible to have both 120mm radiators at the top of a Fractal Design R6 with its drive cage installed. There's just not enough room. And even there were room, I suspect the tubing might be too short (but could be wrong).

Another thing I learned is that there is no way a decent sized twin tower air cooler in a mid size case like the R6 will work with a top mounted 120mm radiator. Not even close. Fortunately a Noctua 14 inch single tower cooler works just fine when reoriented so the air blows up.
    geswek
    FTW Member
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/22 15:48:28 (permalink)
    DamonLynch
    For anyone who values quiet operation, it's best to replace the hybrid radiator fans with PWM fans controllable from the motherboard. I guess the stock fans are the way they are -- extremely basic -- so EVGA could hit a certain price point. At 85% power with two units running constantly in one case and replacement fans at 1400 rpm, I'm getting stable GPU temps of 63 degrees C, or about 5-10 degrees C above the stock fans running at 100%. That's fine with me, because it's so much quieter now. A much more pleasant working environment! Probably the noisiest component now is the PSU fan, or perhaps the case fans. Nothing to worry about with them in comparison.

No doubt about that! I just moved my two 120mm fans on the GPU Radiator to motherboard header with a PWM splitter--got them set at 1400rpms and it's MUCH better in terms of noise.

TravisPNW
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/22 15:48:58 (permalink)
    VegetaCreeper
    hahaha I loved watching that fail video - I seriously LOL'd at least twice

I dunno if I want to sit through a 20+ min video... is there a good LOL moment to skip to?

I did mine almost a year ago with the FE card... no issues just a little time consuming.  I spent a good 4 hours on it... with some of that time spent navigating the poor instructions from EVGA.

11 months later haven't had a single problem.  Quiet gaming at 42C... peak 30 min Furmark test has been 49C.  No need to replace the hybrid fan either.

Case: Fractal Meshify 2
    CPU: i9 10900k
    CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm AIO
    GPU: GeForce RTX 3090 FE
    Mobo: MSI Z490 Unify
    RAM: GSkill Ripjaws 64GB (2x32)CL18 DDR4-4000
    SSD 1/2/3: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVMe
    HDD 1/2: 12TB Seagate Cuda Pro / 10TB WD
    PSU: EVGA Supernova G1+ 1000W 80+ Gold
    Monitor: LG 48" CX OLED 4K 120hz
    VR: Reverb G2 / Quest 2
    3D Printer: FlashForge Guider II

jangobango
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/22 22:36:23 (permalink)
    Mine stays in the 40's for 1-2 hours but at a certain point it gradually heats up all the way until 62c. Is this normal? I attached a Noctua s12a-flx to it, maybe it doesn't cool enough?
    post edited by jangobango - 2018/02/22 22:38:54
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/22 22:46:26 (permalink)
    jangobango
    Mine stays in the 40's for 1-2 hours but at a certain point it gradually heats up all the way until 62c. Is this normal? I attached a Noctua s12a-flx to it, maybe it doesn't cool enough?

That says your loop or the rad is gradually heating up.  We have no idea of what you're doing with your set up. How about some details?

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/22 23:58:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing some detailed thoughts on the setup.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

jangobango
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/23 08:19:51 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    jangobango

That says your loop or the rad is gradually heating up.  We have no idea of what you're doing with your set up. How about some details?

I attached it to a 1080 ti sc black and I have my fan connected via motherboard. I just looked up the stats online for my fan and it maxes out at 1200 rpm so I ordered a corsair ml120 that should arrive today, I'm thinking that's the problem because I barely feel air pushing through the radiator

Edit: After attaching the ml120 to the radiator, my temperature topped out at 51 c whereas before it would reach into the mid 60's. 

Remember to use high static pressure fans on your radiator, kids 
    post edited by jangobango - 2018/02/23 19:03:02
    larrysb
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/02/27 01:47:16 (permalink)
    One note after running them a while:

Prior to installing the hybrid kits, I had one card that always ran hotter than the other. While it was apart, the cards appear to have slightly different inductors on them in the VRM section. 

Afterwards, the GPU's are virtually identical in reported temperature at 42c. However, as the "black" edition cards lack async fans and multiple thermistors, I measured the temps with a thermometer and discovered that the same card still runs hotter than the other. My guess is that the difference is due to different vendor components on the cards. 

Also, you'll need to tune the fans - the VRM can get *very* hot, while the GPU is nice and cool, and particularly on the "black" edition cards, since they don't have independent fans and multi-point sensors. 

I'm in the process of installing independent sensors and fan control on my Ausus motherboard to better control the radiator and VRM fans separately.
    jangobango
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/03/07 14:21:15 (permalink)
    So my previous max temperature turned out to be 57-58 degrees and I was not satisfied. 

I have the 1080 Ti SC hybrid cooler on a 1080 Ti SC Black kr-6393
    I replaced the thermal pads with TG Minus 8 2mm pads on the back plate, I did not swap the ones on the front. I wiped off all of the thermal paste and applied noctua nt-h1 and did a heat cycle to screw the copper plate closer to the diode. All in all, I am at 46-48c after hours of gaming and 51-52c in furmark/3dmark. 

My OC is a light +25 on core and +500 on memory. Even if better temperatures are possible, I think I am satisfied for now. It just makes me look forward to building a custom loop far in the future :D

Idle:27
    Gaming:48
    Stress test:52
    ZHOUZHOUZHOU
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/07/12 17:44:33 (permalink)
    larrysb
    One note after running them a while:

Prior to installing the hybrid kits, I had one card that always ran hotter than the other. While it was apart, the cards appear to have slightly different inductors on them in the VRM section. 

Afterwards, the GPU's are virtually identical in reported temperature at 42c. However, as the "black" edition cards lack async fans and multiple thermistors, I measured the temps with a thermometer and discovered that the same card still runs hotter than the other. My guess is that the difference is due to different vendor components on the cards. 

Also, you'll need to tune the fans - the VRM can get *very* hot, while the GPU is nice and cool, and particularly on the "black" edition cards, since they don't have independent fans and multi-point sensors. 

I'm in the process of installing independent sensors and fan control on my Ausus motherboard to better control the radiator and VRM fans separately.

Thanks OP for the tips and review, I got exactly the same setup as yours, which is EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black + SC hybrid kit, the issue of VRM fan on the kit for my situation is: without fan controlling software such as afterburner or precisionX, it will never spin even under heavy load because that fan can only be triggered by the GPU core temperature which now will never reached 55C (on/off threshold temp for the vrm fan) under water cooling, therefore the vrm module would be purely passively cooled by only a small piece of heatsink, it can cook an egg after some gaming, in extreme case like if you put the waterblock radiator outside of your pc case thus the GPU core is cooled much more effcient than the rest of the card, then the BIOS will think the vrm is very cool when it’s actually burning. Remember the fired vrm issue of the early batch of EVGA gtx 1080 ? EVGA shouldn’t put the SC black model on the compatible list of this hybrid cooler in the first place, or at least roll out a specified BIOS for the particular setup since expecting people to use fan control software isn’t an ideal soluction at all.
    larrysb
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/08/03 15:09:24 (permalink)
    Many months later follow up:

Still working fine. 

My one quirk is the VRM fan. It will NOT come on on the SC "black" cards which do not have the additional thermal sensors. The water cooler keeps the GPU so cool that it never hits the thermal trigger to turn on the VRM fan. It does need to run under load. It's easy to manually control in Windows for games. Under Linux, which is where I run them 99% of the time, I use command line (nividia-smi) to set the VRM fan. I have found that for my deep-learning work loads, 30% fan will keep the VRM's cool enough. 

My ASUS mobo has a fan extension board with extra fans and thermistors. I stuck two thermistors to the back plates and trigger the case fans to come up when the back plates exceed 45c. 

All in all, it is much quieter to use as a workstation now.
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/08/03 16:24:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for the update Larry. I just got my hybrid kit for a black 6393 card. I'll see what the difference is between ICX cooler and the hybrid. Folding 24/7 it's at 58 degrees [ICX] and decently quiet.  
    geswek
    FTW Member
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/08/03 16:29:58 (permalink)
    larrysb
    Many months later follow up:

Still working fine. 

My one quirk is the VRM fan. It will NOT come on on the SC "black" cards which do not have the additional thermal sensors. The water cooler keeps the GPU so cool that it never hits the thermal trigger to turn on the VRM fan. It does need to run under load. It's easy to manually control in Windows for games. Under Linux, which is where I run them 99% of the time, I use command line (nividia-smi) to set the VRM fan. I have found that for my deep-learning work loads, 30% fan will keep the VRM's cool enough. 

My ASUS mobo has a fan extension board with extra fans and thermistors. I stuck two thermistors to the back plates and trigger the case fans to come up when the back plates exceed 45c. 

All in all, it is much quieter to use as a workstation now.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the VRM fan, you referring to the fan on the hybrid block?

If so, not sure why yours is not turning on but mine is on. I set the fan curve to manual and have it set to increase if necessary based on temperature.

larrysb
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/08/14 22:50:28 (permalink)
    geswek

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the VRM fan, you referring to the fan on the hybrid block?

If so, not sure why yours is not turning on but mine is on. I set the fan curve to manual and have it set to increase if necessary based on temperature.

The waterblock goes over the GPU and the VRAM, and pumps the hot water up to the radiator. 

The remaining air-cooling fan and heat-sink on the card is for cooling the VRM, aka, Voltage Regulator Module, which step down the 12v and 5v power connectors to the 1.2v and 200 amps the GPU uses to run on. It is a collection of inductors, capacitors and mosfets that do all this work. They can actually handle a lot of heat, like 100c easily. But it is best to keep them cool. 

The BIOS on the 1080ti SC2 "Black" edition cards will not turn on the VRM fan until the GPU's own internal thermistor reaches a certain temperature. However, with the efficiency of the water cooling, the GPU never gets anywhere near this trigger temperature. The "Black" edition cards do not have the 9 thermal sensors that the other SC2 card does have. It just has the one sensor in the GPU. 

You can use the EVGA software in Windows to change the fan curve so that the VRM fan turns on earlier. In Linux, nvidia-smi will do the trick, though it doesn't have the sophistication that the Windows tools have. 

But - it requires some intervention. Can't rely on the card itself to turn on the VRM fan, because it will not reach the level. 
    xaplusa
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/11/25 12:34:08 (permalink)
    larrysb
    The waterblock goes over the GPU and the VRAM, and pumps the hot water up to the radiator. 
    The remaining air-cooling fan and heat-sink on the card is for cooling the VRM, aka, Voltage Regulator Module, which step down the 12v and 5v power connectors to the 1.2v and 200 amps the GPU uses to run on. It is a collection of inductors, capacitors and mosfets that do all this work. They can actually handle a lot of heat, like 100c easily. But it is best to keep them cool. 
    The BIOS on the 1080ti SC2 "Black" edition cards will not turn on the VRM fan until the GPU's own internal thermistor reaches a certain temperature. However, with the efficiency of the water cooling, the GPU never gets anywhere near this trigger temperature. The "Black" edition cards do not have the 9 thermal sensors that the other SC2 card does have. It just has the one sensor in the GPU. 
    You can use the EVGA software in Windows to change the fan curve so that the VRM fan turns on earlier. In Linux, nvidia-smi will do the trick, though it doesn't have the sophistication that the Windows tools have. 
    But - it requires some intervention. Can't rely on the card itself to turn on the VRM fan, because it will not reach the level. 

I got the same setup, the evga should roll out a optional BIOS for the 1080ti black edition so that it can be able to use with the hybrid cooler properly without software's assistance. otherwise the black edition should not be on the compatible list of the hybrid kit
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Just installed Hybrid kits on two 1080ti SC Black cards, my thoughts 2018/11/25 13:50:20 (permalink)
    xaplusa
    larrysb

I got the same setup, the evga should roll out a optional BIOS for the 1080ti black edition so that it can be able to use with the hybrid cooler properly without software's assistance. otherwise the black edition should not be on the compatible list of the hybrid kit

Yeah...it's too bad we can't modify the Pascal BIOS.  With the Hybrid kit I stuck on my FE I use push/pull on the rad with Scythe AP-13's @ 90% from the motherboard you can't hear them at all and you save those watts the fan would use, for the GPU. Hours of gaming and I top out at ~50C in silence. Some are not aware that the power to run the fans and the pump is used by GPU boost to calculate total power draw. You can easily test this by running your fan(s) at idle, then at 100% and see the power draw increase around 5%. Afterburner, I set a fan profile for the PWM fan so that when the GPU hits 40C, it ramps up to 35%. Which is inaudible, but moves enough air to cool the VRM. I had the same concern as you, the default profile leaves the PWM fan running at 23% regardless of how hot the PWM gets on the FE. This model has the cold plate for the memory so that isn't a concern for me.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile