EVGA

What's a good max temp to operate at?

Author
Cgear
  • Total Posts : 100
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/02/03 16:27:06 (permalink)
I heard 65 deg. Celsius is where most vid cards start incurring damage. I also heard NVidia cards can operate under 70 Celsius (as opposed to AMD I guess where 65 would be maxxed out). I was also told nvidias can operate relatively safely in the high 60s' (Celsius). Do these numbers sound right? What do you operate at? Any thoughts on the matter? Holler or just say hi...

8 Replies Related Threads

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10329
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: What's a good max temp to operate at? 2018/02/10 15:00:27 (permalink)
    Most Nvidia GPU's have a max temp rating in the 90's C.  I wouldn't advise letting them get that hot though.  If you can keep them under 80C, you'll be fine, although the cooler the better for higher clock speeds depending on the GPU you're running.

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: What's a good max temp to operate at? 2018/02/11 02:51:51 (permalink)
    I don't run gpu's or cpu's higher than 70c EVER. The higher you run the temps the faster they break. Resistance makes heat, heat makes more resistance and around and around you go till RMA time.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    joeymir
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 732
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: What's a good max temp to operate at? 2018/02/13 09:44:10 (permalink)
    wmmills
    I don't run gpu's or cpu's higher than 70c EVER. The higher you run the temps the faster they break. Resistance makes heat, heat makes more resistance and around and around you go till RMA time.

I will agree with mills. I personally always try to stay under 75C at all times. Truth is though, most stock fan profiles on GPU's will allow the card to reach close to 85C before fans really start ramping up. What wmmwills in theory should be accurate, but there is plenty of cards that run super high temps that last forever, and cards that are kept cooler, yet die faster, so chalk that up to luck of the draw. I had an old pair of Geforce 7800 GTX cards back in 05/06/07, and in SLI those cards reached 93C almost constantly everytime I played Oblivion which I played religiously. never had an issue. Retired those cards into a secondary, they ran for a few more years before they were sold on craigslist. Hec most people will upgrade after 3 years as it is, if not sooner! 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

evgapcbuilds
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re: What's a good max temp to operate at? 2018/02/17 18:26:50 (permalink)
    joeymir
    wmmills

I will agree with mills. I personally always try to stay under 75C at all times. Truth is though, most stock fan profiles on GPU's will allow the card to reach close to 85C before fans really start ramping up. What wmmwills in theory should be accurate, but there is plenty of cards that run super high temps that last forever, and cards that are kept cooler, yet die faster, so chalk that up to luck of the draw. I had an old pair of Geforce 7800 GTX cards back in 05/06/07, and in SLI those cards reached 93C almost constantly everytime I played Oblivion which I played religiously. never had an issue. Retired those cards into a secondary, they ran for a few more years before they were sold on craigslist. Hec most people will upgrade after 3 years as it is, if not sooner! 

Yep my GTX 970 constantly ran up to 80 and I never had issues. I think some people are irrationally afraid.
    harmattan
    • Total Posts : 82
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: What's a good max temp to operate at? 2018/02/25 11:05:11 (permalink)
    joeymir
    wmmills

Every chip is different.  I also had a set of 7800 GTXs that never ran over 85c and they both died within three years. I also have a 480 that runs 90c steady -- still working today.

Your point on upgrading is entirely valid: most folks are going to upgrade long before any issues occur, even if red-lining temps.
    Smart_Guy
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: What's a good max temp to operate at? 2018/03/11 00:43:27 (permalink)
    From actual experience on my SLI setup, my GTX 680 Classified runs at ~80C at ~35% fans speed out of the box. It hovers around that on moderate gaming or around 60-70% GPU use for both cards.

On a side note, the other GTX 680 4GB OC (MSI Twin Frozr) hovers around that same temperature at ~65% fan speed but the cooling solution is a dual fan and only one of them works until it reaches 85% for the second to kick in. Once again, out of the box. Dunno at what temp it gets to 85%, I just tested this with Afterburner to find out when I suspected a faulty second fan.

The MSI is the one on top and sandwiched between the huge CPU cooler and the EVGA which is under it.

If those are on factory settings and with OC, then it is safe to at least say 80C is more than safe. Nvidia says max is 98C for these. and 80C is 28C less than that.

I made a custom fan speed but when I noticed how quiet the fans are on factory settings I went ahead and tested it to get the above results. They are stable and much lower than the max temp so I kept it that way. They survived all this time so I figured stable 80C at such low fan speeds is fine.
    Gomez99
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2637
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: What's a good max temp to operate at? 2018/03/11 22:54:34 (permalink)
    With "safe" temps you also have to take into account process node differences as well as architectures. Nvidias Fermi architecture ran notoriously hot, but didn't massively affect longevity. With smaller nodes nowadays I wouldn't let my cards get as hot as my old GTX 470. 

artcheezzz
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re: What's a good max temp to operate at? 2018/03/12 14:44:32 (permalink)
    Oh come on.. we are speaking about "safe" not perfect temps at max load. 80-90degreee is perfectly safe! ! !  Anything above will be loud and not that safe... But your GPU Mhz will drop at peak / extreme temps.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile