When will mining end?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ipkha
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2308
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/05 11:31:00 (permalink)
Seems that the banks are cracking down on bitcoin buying. At least with credit cards. Not sure why thats such a blow to the price. People shouldn't be speculating with borrowed money. That's what killed lots of people's accounts in the dotcom bust. Just way to much trading on margin accounts. Investing with credit cards is even worse from an interest rate perspective.

Certainly if the price if bitcoin stays under 8k a good portion of miners will slow their purchasing. Especially if certain exchanges don't get their act together.

mektacular
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 331
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/05 13:06:37 (permalink)
I make up the banks are banning the purchase because they are seeing an increased default rate, so they are saving their own butts.

Power in the Seattle area is .12 KW.  I know in many developing countries it's .02 and even lower because it's subsidized.

Viper453
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 630
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/05 14:56:57 (permalink)
Bitcoin keeps going down, anyone here starting to think mining isn't worth it atm?

MIS 4090 Trio 
i9 10900K
EVGA 1600 P+
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 3200 mhz cas 14 32gb
OS drive 960 pro 2 tb
2x EVO 860 4TB 
Monitor ROG PQ32UQX / LG C2 "65

Chris21010
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1587
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/05 17:41:40 (permalink)
Mining isn't as much. But buying is. Buy coin cheap and if this goes another month you'll be able to buy cheap used hardware too.

ben.darling
  • Total Posts : 88
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/08 08:16:35 (permalink)
I hate to pull against bitcoin but it has had such a negative effect on gamers that I wish it would tank. I don't feel good about it.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30975
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/08 15:39:22 (permalink)
Maybe sooner rather than later..... not always for the obvious reasons

THIS

Most cryptocurrencies will crash to zero, Goldman Sachs says (excerpt) 
  • Most cryptocurrencies are likely to fail with their value falling to zero, Goldman Sachs said in a note.
  • The investment bank compared the current market to the "internet bubble of the late 1990s."
  • Steve Strongin, head of Goldman Sachs global investment research, said that most cryptocurrencies are unlikely to see their recent peaks again.

The Goldman research note comes after a violent sell-off in the cryptocurrency market over the past few days, which at its lowest point on Tuesday, saw over $550 billion of value wiped off the market. Bitcoin even dipped below $6,000 for the first time since November.

also THIS --> smoke and mirrors  Bitcoin Crash: Is It Time To Get Out?
 (excerpt)
Third - it's a volatile space. One of the issues that the cryptocurrency space is currently dealing with is an influx of fake reports and media that can dramatically alter the price of cryptocurrencies in a matter of hours. Often, this information quickly disseminates through cryptocurrency communities on Twitter and Facebook, which leads to buyer's selling off and the price dropping - even if the news has been computer-generated by a bot in China. The market is just that volatile. It's so volatile that since I started writing this article, Bitcoin is already mounting a mini-comeback - up around USD$1000 (and now back down $300 [it never ends!])

and THIS
As Bitcoin Bubble Loses Air, Frauds and Flaws Rise to Surface
 (excerpt)

The scale of those problems is starting to become clear as digital tokens have slid more than 50 percent in value from their peaks in early January, with steep drops on Monday pushing the value of Bitcoin specifically below $7,000.
Hackers draining funds from online exchanges. Ponzi schemes. Government regulators unable to keep up with the rise of so-called cryptocurrencies. Signs of trouble have appeared at nearly every level of the industry, from the biggest exchanges to the news sites and chat rooms where the investment frenzy has been discussed.
On Tuesday, the leaders of the two main regulatory agencies in the United States that oversee the technology, the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, are to testify before the Senate banking committee about their efforts to police virtual currency markets. In the past two weeks, both have brought major cases, but people in the young industry said regulators had barely made a dent.

(excerpt)
“Cryptocurrencies are almost a perfect vehicle for scams,” said Kevin Werbach, a professor at University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School. “The combination of credulous buyers and low barriers for scammers were bound to lead to a high level of fraud, if and when the money involved got large. The fact that the money got huge almost overnight, before there were good regulatory or even self-regulatory models in place, made the problem acute.”

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Chris21010
FTW Member
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/08 19:09:18 (permalink)
i love all these internet bouble comparison! because where does the internet stand today? is it just a useless worthless pile of junk or the largest and most invested in thing in the world? just think about it 
post edited by Chris21010 - 2018/02/08 19:10:36

TrippinBimmer
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/08 19:22:56 (permalink)
im ready for this to be over with! I cant buy cards for my gaming build :(

i7 860 @ 4.2ghz
eVGA P55 FTW A51
8GB G.Skill Eco's DDR3-1600 6-8-6-18 @ 1.65v
2x XFX GTX285 1GB SLI
Multi - 21
Bclk - 200
QPI - 4.2
PCI-E - 104mhz
MCH Strap - 1600
vCore - 1.368
VTT - 1.4
vDimm - 1.65
PCH - 1.1
PLL - 1.85
CPU PWM Freq - 1019
VTT PWM Freq - 634
DDR PWM Freq - 634
Chris21010
FTW Member
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/08 20:01:31 (permalink)
TrippinBimmer
im ready for this to be over with! I cant buy cards for my gaming build :(

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/

there are 1060's, 1070's, 1080's and 1080 ti's in stock right now... just buy one.

Jayninja
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/10 21:25:49 (permalink)
I dont think it is specifically miners. If you look on ebay, and amazon, there are plenty of GPUs to be had. They are just marked up 100%. Why? Because people feel the need to go buy out an entire store worth of GPUs and sell them at double the price.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/11 00:05:04 (permalink)
Chris21010
i love all these internet bouble comparison! because where does the internet stand today? is it just a useless worthless pile of junk or the largest and most invested in thing in the world? just think about it 

Enron, - just think about it
(excerpt from link above)

"The story of Enron Corp. is the story of a company that reached dramatic heights, only to face a dizzying fall. Its collapse affected thousands of employees and shook Wall Street to its core. At Enron's peak, its shares were worth $90.75; when it declared bankruptcy on December 2, 2001, they were trading at $0.26. To this day, many wonder how such a powerful business, at the time one of the laregest companies in the U.S,  disintegrated almost overnight and how it managed to fool the regulators with fake holdings and off-the-books accounting for so long."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enron

Most people could not explain in any detail how Bitcoin is valued or generated.

Bitcoin has no tangible assets - therefore its "Value" is based purely on speculation that it is rare and desirable

the "dot-com bubble" happened because of Market Frenzy and Speculation and NOT Market fundamentals like income and tangible assets

More people Lost money than made money almost overnight, when it came crashing down
post edited by Cool GTX - 2018/02/11 00:16:26

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/11 01:24:36 (permalink)
Ranmacanada
If you don't understand it with all the freely available information out there, then no one will be able to make you understand it.  Cryptocurrency mining will not go away, and it will always be there, just the level of intensity will vary.

The value is 100% supported by people mining the cryptocurrency so take Bitcoin for example. You have a fixed number of coins that will be mined but the value would still need to be supported by systems mining for nothing and really all Cryptocurrency is really based on that flaw. The real question is not if a Cryptocurrency will crash but when and we might be at that point with them pretty much all seeing about a 35% or better drop in value over the last month.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Chris21010
FTW Member
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/11 08:40:51 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Enron, - just think about it

no one compares bitcoin to enron... they are fundamentally different and bitcoin can not file for bankruptcy because it can not generate any debt, it can only have positive value even if its low it's never negative. so from that alone your money invested will never go "poof" like magic and disappear as you will always have something of value.

Ranmacanada
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 992
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/11 19:15:59 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Maybe sooner rather than later..... not always for the obvious reasons

THIS

Most cryptocurrencies will crash to zero, Goldman Sachs says (excerpt) 
  • Most cryptocurrencies are likely to fail with their value falling to zero, Goldman Sachs said in a note.
  • The investment bank compared the current market to the "internet bubble of the late 1990s."
  • Steve Strongin, head of Goldman Sachs global investment research, said that most cryptocurrencies are unlikely to see their recent peaks again.

The Goldman research note comes after a violent sell-off in the cryptocurrency market over the past few days, which at its lowest point on Tuesday, saw over $550 billion of value wiped off the market. Bitcoin even dipped below $6,000 for the first time since November.

also THIS --> smoke and mirrors  Bitcoin Crash: Is It Time To Get Out?
(excerpt)
Third - it's a volatile space. One of the issues that the cryptocurrency space is currently dealing with is an influx of fake reports and media that can dramatically alter the price of cryptocurrencies in a matter of hours. Often, this information quickly disseminates through cryptocurrency communities on Twitter and Facebook, which leads to buyer's selling off and the price dropping - even if the news has been computer-generated by a bot in China. The market is just that volatile. It's so volatile that since I started writing this article, Bitcoin is already mounting a mini-comeback - up around USD$1000 (and now back down $300 [it never ends!])

and THIS
As Bitcoin Bubble Loses Air, Frauds and Flaws Rise to Surface
(excerpt)

The scale of those problems is starting to become clear as digital tokens have slid more than 50 percent in value from their peaks in early January, with steep drops on Monday pushing the value of Bitcoin specifically below $7,000.
Hackers draining funds from online exchanges. Ponzi schemes. Government regulators unable to keep up with the rise of so-called cryptocurrencies. Signs of trouble have appeared at nearly every level of the industry, from the biggest exchanges to the news sites and chat rooms where the investment frenzy has been discussed.
On Tuesday, the leaders of the two main regulatory agencies in the United States that oversee the technology, the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, are to testify before the Senate banking committee about their efforts to police virtual currency markets. In the past two weeks, both have brought major cases, but people in the young industry said regulators had barely made a dent.

(excerpt)
“Cryptocurrencies are almost a perfect vehicle for scams,” said Kevin Werbach, a professor at University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School. “The combination of credulous buyers and low barriers for scammers were bound to lead to a high level of fraud, if and when the money involved got large. The fact that the money got huge almost overnight, before there were good regulatory or even self-regulatory models in place, made the problem acute.”

That's funny considering Goldman has massive backings of ETH and they are going to be trading bitcoin futures.  Nothing like a big economic power house using their know how and power to create FUD in an unregulated market to cause markets to dip and crash so they can buy in at massive lows, RIGHT?

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
AMD Ryzen 2700
Fold for the CURE!
EVGA 1080 FTW
EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid

dkoykoala
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/12 15:16:32 (permalink)
the golden question

i love you~ 
dkoykoala
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/12 15:18:13 (permalink)
dint USA call for a hands off approach? im pretty sure arizona accepts crypto for taxes. the ride never ends. 

i love you~ 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/12 17:30:11 (permalink)
Ranmacanada

That's funny considering Goldman has massive backings of ETH and they are going to be trading bitcoin futures.  Nothing like a big economic power house using their know how and power to create FUD in an unregulated market to cause markets to dip and crash so they can buy in at massive lows, RIGHT?

Yes they have.....
I've seen several times where Goldman has seemed to played both sides of the street on a trade/ investment
--> recommending an investment to clients while taking an opposing position for themselves
--> and if they "make a market" you have to wonder, did you get or pay the best price ?

Only way I'd invest with Goldman is to buy their stock (GS)

stinger49
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/17 09:59:34 (permalink)
When will mining stop ? when they not making money  
post edited by stinger49 - 2018/02/17 10:09:37
jh4db536
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/17 14:14:53 (permalink)
the mines do get dry

https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/ethereum-difficulty.html#1y

We're currently at EPOCH#170 Difficulty (~2.3gb)
My 290X (4gb) from 2014 is starting to drop mining profitability big time. It's making 2/3 of what it did in January 1 months ago $65 vs $100+ per month
even with the recovery of ETH f(x).

Good working well taken care of cards will be EOL (for mining purposes) soon. I will probably retire this card when profitability is below $1 a day. I am perfectly happy to use it for gaming as it works with my Vive Pro just as well as my 1080ti or i will simply hand it down as was done for me last year. I ran it at 75-85% TDP the entire time i had it. It served its masters well, i learned how to navigate crypto, it's mining profits offset the higher costs i had to pay for the card that superceded it (my 1080ti), and it games well regardless

Looking to replace it with a 10 pack of 2080ti, titanZ or some other volta if the crypto market does well this year. The day i can buy gpu with BTC or cryptos directly... hehehe

Even a $3000 TitanZ has a OCed hashrate of only 2.5x my old 290x...

Good mining cards:
Have high hash rates, respond to memory OC on preferred algorithms
Have a lot of memory; are resistant to difficult changes (HBM will be a game changer)
Dont cost a lot
Don't use a lotta power, very insensitive to TDP reductions

post edited by jh4db536 - 2018/02/17 14:26:47

Ryzen 1800, 2600
EVGA 10 Series, Vega Series
ipkha
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2308
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/17 15:57:19 (permalink)
There will always be new coins to mine and profit to be had. I don't see it ending anytime soon. We just have to get used to it and wait for the next generation of cards. I'm sure miners and gamers will be selling used cards. Especially as difficulty goes up and older games drop in price.

Pretty sure nvidia would go with 11 series. They've consistently gone up by 1 number for all their card architectures. Although they have skipped numbers before.

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/17 16:10:17 (permalink)

Pretty sure nvidia would go with 11 series. They've consistently gone up by 1 number for all their card architectures. Although they have skipped numbers before.

Hmm. MX 460, 5800, 6800, 7800, 8800, 9800, GTX 280, GT 340, ... , TITAN

Yes, very consistent. I am not surprised by any new, unexpected name.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

evgapcbuilds
  • Total Posts : 96
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/17 16:34:41 (permalink)
Crypto value is based on people not knowing what the heck it is and blindly throwing their money to get rich
webdaniel101
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: When will mining end? 2018/02/20 14:06:33 (permalink)
You are right!!! I just want my gaming card....
yogogo988
  • Total Posts : 99
Re: When will mining end? 2018/03/07 21:19:58 (permalink)
not sure. 
QuintLeo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 946
Re: When will mining end? 2018/03/08 12:28:49 (permalink)
Snippzzz
Mining has been the biggest problem for the rise of gpu prices but i dont understand why? Can someone explain this. 

Some folks think the current shortage on Nvidia cards is due to mining - which is NOT supported by actual facts - because "the miners are buying too many cards and overloading demand".
This IS a factor on the AMD side, as miners probably bought 7-8 million AMD GPUs during 2017 (which WAS a significant percentage of all AMD discrete GPUs sold last year) but the figure on the NVidia side it probably closer to 2 million, which is VERY small - and probably a MAJORITY of those were sold in the SPRING OF 2017 WHEN AMD RX 470/480/570/580 PRICING EXCEEDED THE PRICE OF THE 1070 AND BRIEFLY REACHED 1080 PRICING.

BTW - a lot of major retailers accept Bitcoin (some accept other cryptocoins as well) - are you calling Newegg and Dell and GoDaddy "underground hackers"?

Keep in mind that CASH is a recent invention, on a historical basis - not to mention credit/debit cards, ATM cards, and the current "almost all money is computer bookkeeping records" world finance system.

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
 I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

QuintLeo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 946
Re: When will mining end? 2018/03/08 12:34:43 (permalink)
mektacular
I make up the banks are banning the purchase because they are seeing an increased default rate, so they are saving their own butts.

Power in the Seattle area is .12 KW.  I know in many developing countries it's .02 and even lower because it's subsidized.

Most "developing countries" have HIGH power rates and very poor power reliability, due to a lack of generation and limited infrastructure.
Some of the OPEC nations subsidise electric rates, but even those developing nations that DO subsidise rates tend to have very low limits on HOW MUCH electric is available at all, much less at the "subsidised" rate.
Some of the lowest-cost electric in the world, with VERY HIGH reliability and quantity available, is less than a 2 hour drive from Seattle - in Chelan/Douglas/Grant counties of central Washington.

Most low-cost electric is HYDROPOWER, and the Columbia River is one of the biggest hydropower areas in the world (a LOT of that hydropower is sold to the Seattle area, BTW, helping keep YOUR rates lower).

There have already been quite a few announcements - though none by Nvidia itself, they've all been by "3'd party partners" to date - that the next Nvidia card series will be the 20x0 series.
I think 11x0 series would make more sense though.

Most of my GPUs HAVE been bought directly with Bitcoin - quite a few major retailers accept payment by Bitcoin.
post edited by QuintLeo - 2018/03/08 12:36:34

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
 I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile