Here's a novel idea to help with price gouging

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
QuintLeo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 946
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Here's a novel idea to help with price gouging 2018/02/02 13:03:51 (permalink)
maci4life
where's the bottle neck in production?  is it the lack of GDDR chips globally?  that was the vega's problem.

There are multiple issues.

RAM has been in short supply for most of the past year - which is supposedly why the pricing on it has at least DOUBLED over the course of 2017 and is why a lot of MSRP prices have drifted up especially on higher-end cards.
This appears to be a limit of the lines the RAM makers are making RAM on - at least 2 of them have announced they're building new lines (but that appears to have been more about "moving up from 22nm" at the time vs "need more capacity than our existing lines have).

TSMC has been running flat-out since they fixed their issues after the earthquake damaged their "current node" lines a couple years ballpark back.

GF is so overloaded AMD has had to find foundry space ELSEWHERE for some of their production (as reported in one of their recent earnings reports in an indirect way, in the description of a charge they had to take against their most recent modification of their agreement with GF) - I'm guessing Samsung as they seem to be the ONLY "available" foundry on the 14/16nm node to have any capacity to spare (I don't think it's likely Intel would share THEIR foundry space with AMD at any price).
It says something positive about AMD "looking forward" that they DID negotiate an option with GF to take some of their business elsewhere if GF couldn't handle all of it.

The PRIMARY issue on the NVidia side right now though appears to be the "end of year" switchover in production (as reported and confirmed in late October by TSMC) from Polaris GPUs to Volta GPUs, coupled with a VERY GOOD Christmas sales season cleaning out existing stock and "in the pipeline" supplies of Pascal cards 1060 and above (the 1050 and 1050 ti are Samsung made, newer designs, and appear like they will be in production for a while longer as Nvidia introduces the HIGH END Volta cards first like they did with Pascal).

On the AMD side, there does appear to be some push from Ethereum miners - but nothing anywhere near as big as back in the spring when it's price jumped about 30x in less than 2 months, I suspect the primary issue there is ALSO a very good Chrismas sales season (likely with SOME carryover from Nvidia being short on cards since AMD cards were still in widespread stock more than a WEEK after Nvidia supplies evaporated) coupled with AMDs deliberate AND ANNOUNCED refusal to meet ALL current demand so they don't get hammered later on by the massive "used card dump" they expect when the current Cryptocoin GPU mining "bubble" pops.

While it's not certain at this point that cryptocin PRICES are in a "bubble", the mining side WILL take a major hit on profitability when Ethereum moves to full Proof of Stake and well over half the GPUs currently used in mining suddenly have to find new homes 'cause the Ethereum they WERE mining is no longer mineable at all.
 THAT collapse AMD (and to a much lesser extend Nvidia) can COUNT on happening, unless cryptocoin prices start exploding AGAIN shortly before or as that Proof of Stake move happens.

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
 I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

asmith2433
  • Total Posts : 100
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Here's a novel idea to help with price gouging 2018/02/02 13:21:46 (permalink)
I don’t know if crypto moves in relation to the overal markets but if there is a major correction,which seems to be happening today and continues into next week, hopefully a quick price change can occur.
QuintLeo
SSC Member
Re: Here's a novel idea to help with price gouging 2018/02/02 14:51:34 (permalink)
Crypto has no relationship to the stock markets, though sometimes news items CAN affect both in a similar way.

I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

ben.darling
  • Total Posts : 88
Re: Here's a novel idea to help with price gouging 2018/02/08 08:33:21 (permalink)
I feel like EVGA prices are not that out of wack. It seems reasonable for a beefed up card.
Polycount
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
Re: Here's a novel idea to help with price gouging 2018/02/08 10:51:24 (permalink)
ben.darling
I feel like EVGA prices are not that out of wack. It seems reasonable for a beefed up card.

It's not the pricing, its the stock that is the issue. Of course, pricing is an issue from third party sellers, but no manufacturers or major retailers are charging completely insane prices for cards they sell themselves.
veganfanatic
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2119
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Here's a novel idea to help with price gouging 2018/02/08 11:03:30 (permalink)
Intel reacted to problems with Coffee Lake by adding to production, while AMD and NVIDIA are not as well off to do that. There are not that many fabs with 14nm lines operating.

GF recently converted one 14nm line to 12nm so that eats into the wafer production for existing products

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
Mosesal
  • Total Posts : 62
Re: Here's a novel idea to help with price gouging 2018/02/08 12:27:01 (permalink)
Seems production of the current generation has been eased in favour of the new manufacturing process. 
QuintLeo
SSC Member
Re: Here's a novel idea to help with price gouging 2018/02/08 12:54:00 (permalink)
12 nm isn't a new node, it's a "process improvement" on an existing node.
That line can still make "14nm" products, though the downtime for the "upgrades" to enable "12nm" production did eat into production time for a short while.

shadowstreak
  • Total Posts : 99
Re: Here's a novel idea to help with price gouging 2018/02/08 14:17:42 (permalink)
Polycount
ben.darling

It's not the pricing, its the stock that is the issue. Of course, pricing is an issue from third party sellers, but no manufacturers or major retailers are charging completely insane prices for cards they sell themselves.

Yeah stock exists for only a few minutes before it's already sold. It's crazy still, and with RAM shortages I don't see the lack of stock ending any time soon. As well as gamers waiting for half a year or more to purchase computer upgrades. I'm definitely at my breaking point, and will likely pay msrp for anything that comes in stock.
newls1
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 122
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Here's a novel idea to help with price gouging 2018/02/08 14:40:00 (permalink)
i've been wanting to purchase a 1080Ti for months now but will NEVER pay these prices... EVER.  I hope these prices settle down soon

FTW3 Gaming 3090 Ti / 12900KS @ 5.5GHz / MSI Z690 Unify X
svan71
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Here's a novel idea to help with price gouging 2018/05/17 12:08:18 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
Actually all the stock currently at EVGA.com is limit 1 per customer/household. We are continuing to add more stock daily/weekly.

Why are Evga prices $200 overs MSRP?  That aluminum and copper heatsink (rare earth metals for sure) cost $200 ?  The cards cost more now than at launch 2 years ago.
post edited by svan71 - 2018/05/19 15:28:26
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Here's a novel idea to help with price gouging 2018/05/17 12:21:41 (permalink)
The problem would then be others that do not sell directly to the customer would sell more then EVGA. If all of them did direct sells though they would just buy one from each manufacturer.

Another thing to consider is NVIDIA is making record profits and part of that is miners and eBay sellers. So in the long run R&D budgets could increase and graphics cards could become faster because stock is sold out now.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile