Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development

Author
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 38
2018/01/22 15:13:58 (permalink)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-22-rust-is-leaving-early-access-next-month-after-four-years-in-development

Rust Roadmap

Rust, Facepunch Studios' famously nude survival game is leaving Early Access on February 8th, after four years in development.

The announcement was made in a blog post by Rust designer Garry Newman, which detailed what, exactly, the game's transition from Early Access to its version 1.0 release will mean. And that can probably be summarised as 'not all that much, beyond a price increase'.

"We're not planning any big reveals, launch parties, around the world tours or cash prize giveaways for this event. We're not going to move staff onto other projects", explained Newman, "It's very much going to happen without much fuss. It's business as usual."

"Please try not to compare the game to some other finished game or some idealised version you have in your head," said Newman, "Compare the game now to how it was when we entered Early Access. That's the delta that we feel qualifies us to leave Early Access. Think of it more like we're leaving Prototyping and entering Alpha."

This game has changed a lot in the past 4 years.

27 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/01/22 16:23:55 (permalink)
    People still play it? I did see people on twitch playing it years ago, but never found it interesting enough to waste the money.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/01/22 16:36:32 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    People still play it? I did see people on twitch playing it years ago, but never found it interesting enough to waste the money.

https://steamdb.info/app/252490/graphs/

Some servers the population only last 3days after a fresh weekly wipe. They have a queue of like 80-100 people, which takes about 2-3hrs to get in, if you don't pay for reserved slot.

ThatOldRedNeck
    • Total Posts : 70
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/01/22 17:32:19 (permalink)
    Rust is still a thing? That game will never truly leave an early access state.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/01/22 17:45:02 (permalink)
    ThatOldRedNeck
    Rust is still a thing? That game will never truly leave an early access state.

They plan on going from weekly updates to once a month. I bet they keep the weekly micro-transaction items updates.

ThatOldRedNeck
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/01/22 17:54:50 (permalink)
    It has micro-transactions?.........  I'm truly disgusted
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/01/22 18:39:49 (permalink)
    ThatOldRedNeck
    It has micro-transactions?.........  I'm truly disgusted

People can make a new skin for existing items in-game. The devs pick like 12 items to list on the store each week. The creator of the skin gets a cut.

During Christmas they sold Christmas lights you hang up on your base for $4.99.

post edited by MSim - 2018/01/22 18:42:56

LilSkillet
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/01/22 19:12:28 (permalink)
    Wait is this true because if it is i still will probably wont play still but that pretty cool
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/01/22 20:03:58 (permalink)
    Early access should be a year or less before release. 4+ years is just a scam.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/01/22 22:18:05 (permalink)
    fearpoint

At least the game not like DayZ that will never leave Early Access. 

LilSkillet
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/01/22 23:15:13 (permalink)
    Ha HA true that MSim that was the best 30 bucks of my life dayz is the "best" game of all time
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/01/23 00:35:14 (permalink)
    fearpoint

I have to agree. Valve needs to really take more control of Early Access and demand a time table with due dates that if they are missed the game gets pulled.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/01/23 05:03:27 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    fearpoint

I have to agree. Valve needs to really take more control of Early Access and demand a time table with due dates that if they are missed the game gets pulled.

Valve needs to do that and rein in it's own loot box system. Valve has no moral as a company, when they have no problems getting young kids addicted to gambling. A digital knife skin from it's loot box can sell for over $100 on steam marketplace. It shows Valve real goals is to milk the player base and get them addicted to gambling.

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/01/23 05:32:27 (permalink)
    MSim
    Valve needs to do that and rein in it's own loot box system. Valve has no moral as a company, when they have no problems getting young kids addicted to gambling. A digital knife skin from it's loot box can sell for over $100 on steam marketplace. It shows Valve real goals is to milk the player base and get them addicted to gambling.

That's the truth.....    

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/01/23 13:40:21 (permalink)
    MSim
    Hoggle
    fearpoint

Yup. I've noticed a large amount of scams on Steam in which the account's that do it are never punished in any meaningful that prevents them from doing it in the future. Whereas you can be banned for life from a game forum on Steam for posting criticism of a game, if you upload obviously fake give away videos trying to phish Steam accounts and advertise gambling domains, they'll just remove the video but allow the account to upload the same video within hours. Been reporting some accounts every day for over a month and ZERO action taken against the account. I go into a Steam game forum post something funny, butthurt fanboy mod arrives, banned for life.

This describes Steam perfectly. Absolute scum company ran by scum that out source to scum.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/01/24 10:50:03 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    MSim
    Hoggle
    fearpoint

Yup. I've noticed a large amount of scams on Steam in which the account's that do it are never punished in any meaningful that prevents them from doing it in the future. Whereas you can be banned for life from a game forum on Steam for posting criticism of a game, if you upload obviously fake give away videos trying to phish Steam accounts and advertise gambling domains, they'll just remove the video but allow the account to upload the same video within hours. Been reporting some accounts every day for over a month and ZERO action taken against the account. I go into a Steam game forum post something funny, butthurt fanboy mod arrives, banned for life.

This describes Steam perfectly. Absolute scum company ran by scum that out source to scum.

Steam has changed for the worse.

holophonicstudios
    • Total Posts : 97
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/01/30 11:33:10 (permalink)
    At this point I think most of the fan base has left. I still have a copy, but don't play often.
    OBIDATWAN
    • Total Posts : 93
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/02/14 23:29:38 (permalink)
    i have alot of fun screwing around on rust still
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/02/15 04:35:50 (permalink)
    OBIDATWAN

I haven't played Rust in a few months. Hows the game performance now. I noticed they added a lot more monuments, that has to hurt peoples Frames Per Second.  

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/02/16 00:04:46 (permalink)
    MSim
    OBIDATWAN

I haven't played Rust in a few months. Hows the game performance now. I noticed they added a lot more monuments, that has to hurt peoples Frames Per Second.  

Good luck. He's just spam posting to get that 100 posts. Worst decision EVGA made with these forums.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/02/16 00:45:38 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    MSim
    OBIDATWAN

Good luck. He's just spam posting to get that 100 posts. Worst decision EVGA made with these forums.

It's not really that bad since we monitor the first 100 and then if they don't want to be part of it and were just around to hit 100 nothing was really lost.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/02/16 05:55:47 (permalink)
    The moment they leave "early access" is the moment they can move on from active development as a dev house. They'd no longer be under the guise of product development and can just say it's done. Be worried when a product leaves early access now, as it'll most likely not be actively updated anymore. It's the modern software development life-cycle in 2018. Nothing released gets supported anymore.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/02/17 04:48:49 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    The moment they leave "early access" is the moment they can move on from active development as a dev house. They'd no longer be under the guise of product development and can just say it's done. Be worried when a product leaves early access now, as it'll most likely not be actively updated anymore. It's the modern software development life-cycle in 2018. Nothing released gets supported anymore.

They want to move from weekly to monthly updates.

That article i posted said "Garry Newman is the lead developer". He hasn't been the lead developer for Rust in over 2 years. The current lead developer has been all over the place with this game. They started with a blue print system, switched to XP system, switched to component system, now the game has a mix of component system with blue prints. That doesn't include all the changes to building.

CookieArmy
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/02/17 07:34:41 (permalink)
    Nice
    norrisb
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/02/18 13:54:42 (permalink)
    What does this game offer that DayZ and PUBG don't?
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/02/19 00:44:06 (permalink)
    norrisb

Rust has building in it. It's a huge grind fest to build a base keep it from decaying away. 

norrisb
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/02/19 01:58:11 (permalink)
    MSim
    norrisb

Rust has building in it. It's a huge grind fest to build a base keep it from decaying away. 

thanks, so basically nothing?
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development 2018/02/19 07:06:14 (permalink)
    norrisb
    MSim
    norrisb

thanks, so basically nothing?

It has a lot to offer, if you take the time to learn the game. The biggest issue i have with it is how quick servers die. Most of the weekly wipe servers die after 2-3days of a fresh wipe. The two week wipe severs are dead within 5-6 days if that. The official servers that last a month, they get laggy/choppy after a two weeks. Those servers are infected with cheaters all the time, no active admins on them. If the server crashes, it could take 24-48hrs before they bother to reboot them.

Rust loves memory. I have seen it use over 8GB of RAM on my system. That was back before they added all the new monuments.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile