EVGA

Help needed with PSU connections

Author
alienat3
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/01/21 12:32:52 (permalink)
Hi, I'm setting up a 13 gpu rig, and I'm having an hard time trying to figure out the connection part. Would be really grateful if somebody could help me out!
I got the asrock h110 pro, 13 x asus strix rx570 4gb Gaming OC edition, 3 x EVGA G2 850w PSUs and a bunch of 6pin risers.
All the cables I have at the moment are the ones provided with the 3 PSUs.

I was thinking about using 1 PSU to power the mobo and 3 GPUs, and use the other 2 PSUs to power 5 GPUs each.
I have 4 VGA ports on the PSU, so I was thinking about using them to power the 8pin connection on the 4 GPUs, and to power the fifth GPU with a molex to 8pin adapter. Is this safe?

My biggest headache is powering all the risers. Should I order different cables to connect 6pin to 6pin straight from the PSU? Convert from molex to 6pin? Buy different risers and use molex?

Thanks a lot

4 Replies Related Threads

Ranmacanada
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 992
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Help needed with PSU connections 2018/01/21 12:41:43 (permalink)
    Molex to 8 pin is ify at best, depends on the wires.  Molex to 6 pin is safe, as long as the wiring is up to standard, but you would be better off going straight 6 pin.  With that many psu's you're going to want to get add2psu so that all your power supplies start at the same time.  Check the other threads for how to properly power your risers and your cards.  It's very important that you do it properly, or else you'll toast everything.

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
    AMD Ryzen 2700
    Fold for the CURE!
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid

alienat3
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Help needed with PSU connections 2018/01/22 11:15:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help!
    I've bought some extra EVGA cables for my PSUs and I'm leaning towards powering each GPU + riser with a single 6+2/6 Pin PCI-e Cable from a VGA port, so I could power the riser directly with a 6 pin (through a short 6pin extension). Considering I'm using rx 570 4gb, it's a pretty safe choice right?

Still not sure how to power the 13th GPU with a total of 12 VGA ports. If molex to 8pin is not ideal, what other choices do I have? 8 pin splitter, 2 GPUs on a single cable?

Ranmacanada
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 992
    Re: Help needed with PSU connections 2018/01/22 20:07:44 (permalink)
    If you can find it, you can use an 8 pin to dual 6 pin.  I've seen them, and I think QuintLeo has mentioned them before in some of his posts.  Check in the mining subs on reddit as well.  8 pin is good for 150 watts, so splitting it to 2 6 pins which is 75 watts each is doable, it's just a matter of making sure the cabling is of good quality.  So don't get no made in China crap!  You can also do molex to dual 6 pin, with a quality cable, like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Raidmax-Dual-4-pin-Molex-Male-to-Male-Dual-8pin-6-2-PCIE-for-GPU-or-Miner/173051658056?hash=item284aaebf48:g:KvMAAOSw63FaS9-N but you should make sure you use the molex on separate plugs as the strings are usually limited to 75 watts per.

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
    AMD Ryzen 2700
    Fold for the CURE!
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid

QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 946
    Re: Help needed with PSU connections 2018/01/22 21:12:25 (permalink)
    You're probably going to have to dig up a custom "CPU port to PCI-E power connector" cable from somewhere to make 5 cards + risers work on an EVGA G2 850 - you just don't have enough ports on the PS to handle 5 cards easily, since EVGA uses different pinouts on the PS side for it's VGA and CPU ports - and even THEN you're going to have to use a 6-pin PCI extender to be able to reach one of the risers from one of your "dual VGA" cables.

Alternatively, if you can dig up a couple of extra "dual" EVGA PCI-E cables, you can do the following.

Use a dual cable on each VGA port.
     Use a MOLEX string on 3 the Periph/SATA ports - use only ONE Molex connector per string on each port (EVGA has specified these ports/cables ARE interchangeable).
     8-pin connectors on the PCI-E cables power 4 of the GPUs
     2 of the 6-pin connectors get used via a dual-6-pin adapter to power card 5.
     The other 2 6-pin adapters get "extender" cables to be able to reach and power 2 of the risers.
     The other 3 risers are powered from MOLEX.

This leaves ONE Periph/SATA port on the PS to power a couple of fans with, or whatever.

This shortage of ports on the EVGA G2 850 is why all my 5-card rigs are all running Seasonic X-850 or SS-860 power supplies (and when I run out of those I plan to get some Corsair AX-860 as it's basically the SS-860 in a Corsair case) - those have "CPU" ports with the same connection on the PS side as the VGA ports so they end up with *6* ports that can be used interchangeably for CPU or VGA, and they also have 5 SATA/Peripheral ports.

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
     I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile